ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo Renaultsport trackday pics

Lee

BMW M2C
This evening I attended Bedford Autodrome to try out the new Twingo 133 on track. The pics I took are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodstreet/sets/72157607129517148/

2831030251_c44f239d62_o.jpg

2831031631_7208da1f1a_o.jpg

2831868974_90ab2eb2c0_o.jpg

Lee

BMW M2C
Sorry for the delay, I was having a beer then went to bed!

As was pointed out to us at the start of the evening, it's not aimed at the sort of people who drive 197s and 230s, it's aimed at the sort of person who wants a fun hot hatch with good handling, low insurance (8) and running costs (combined almost 40mpg). Having said that, it's huge fun to drive. I have no doubt that on the road I would have more fun in the Twingo than I do in my Cup due to the limits in the Cup being so high. I would miss the poke though for the odd trafffic light GP.

The circuit they ran last night was short and twisty, a layout I've not driven at Bedford before. This showed off how nimble and light the Twingo felt.

For me thing which stood out the most was how rev hungry the engine was. For the first few laps I didn't even see the shift light, it comes on well over 7k and loves it, it sounds amazing too. The brakes were fantastic and it turns in very postively and is just as playful as a 182 was, although I suspect the 17's are a bit much for it on the road. 195 40 17 tyres on it!!!

The only thing which wasn't so great was the feedback from the steering, it's good, and massively better than the GT, but could still use a little more weight through faster corners when you aren't putting in so much steering input.

After pottering around in the GT for a few weeks I was worried it wouldn't be able to put the power down without the fronts spinning up as in the GT. It doesn't have any problems at all with it, you can just plant it and let it get on with things, even in the wet.

Power wise it does feel lacking, but that's because it is, and it's not aimed at me anyway. You can't have a lower insurance group and a fast car. For a young lad/lass who wants a fun hot hatch which decent enough straight line performance but a great chassis it fullfills it's remit perfectly. I'm sure it will do well againt the likes of the C2 VTS, and the Swift (though I prefer the looks of the Swift). Not so sure about the Fiat 500 though, that's just pure class. lol

Think that just about covers it.

I can't believe how greasy Bedford was last night, I had the Cup sideways a few times, and a few of the lads spun. The instructors were drifting the Twingos for the camera though. Those videos (including one with me being interviewed) will be on the Renaultsport site next week.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Was at bedford on thursday, hugely slippy fun. Forgot I was on 888's, first lap, end of the straight, turn in at 75=spin. Twingo looks good, how much is the retail?

Lee

BMW M2C
Was at bedford on thursday, hugely slippy fun. Forgot I was on 888's, first lap, end of the straight, turn in at 75=spin. Twingo looks good, how much is the retail?

Last place I drove in the wet was Brands, and that had loads of grip. Bedford was like hitting oil if you turned in hard!

£11,500 IIRC. Apply the usual haggle down discount to that and it's a real bargain. It certainly seems a much more focused hot hatch than others in it's class. It's a proper entry level Renaultsport.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Good review. I do like them! And i bet with a decent bum in the seat they;ll be passing 172/182/197's etc at future trackdays.

Lee

BMW M2C
Good review. I do like them! And i bet with a decent bum in the seat they;ll be passing 172/182/197's etc at future trackdays.

It would take some doing, the power difference is pretty huge to be fair. And it's characteristics are very much Honda, without the vtec kick. If you like reving the balls off an engine this one just loves it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
OT, but couldn't believe how strict they have to be with the noise there. Went for a ride in an R500, but he couldn't take it over 5500rpm. Still popping and banging nicely though!:evil:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

It would take some doing, the power difference is pretty huge to be fair. And it's characteristics are very much Honda, without the vtec kick. If you like reving the balls off an engine this one just loves it.

8 and a bit to 60....Dunno, on the brakes and a twisty track i think it's do-able.

Lee

BMW M2C
OT, but couldn't believe how strict they have to be with the noise there. Went for a ride in an R500, but he couldn't take it over 5500rpm. Still popping and banging nicely though!:evil:

Sodding do gooders complaining about "noise pollution". They didn't even test us last night, firstly because most of us had standard cars, and those that didn't weren't noticably loud and secondly because it was pissing it down and the guy didn't want to get soaked.

Lee

BMW M2C
Never been told that at Bedford, but Brands get it all the time on the final bend. Why do these idiots buy houses next to a race track in the first place!!

It was for those of us who were invited over to Paris last year to give feedback on the development of the Renaultsport Twingo. This was a little thanks from Renault, a free track evening plus the chance to drive the Twingo.

The Twingo was an absolute hoot to drive around the track, especially as the instructor was just telling you nail it all the time! It handled superbly, even on a very greasy surface. You certainly noticed the lack of power compared to a 197 but the handling more than made up for it. Gets my thumbs up.

Excellent reviews, thanks chaps.

17" wheels for the Cup pack worry me a little, seem waaaay to excessive, do they offer anything that some nice light 15 or 16" wheels don't? Renaultsport don't seem to be the sort of people to give in to the marketing team, so there must be a reason behind huge wheels.

Yes I have to say the Twingo was a very nice drive in the wet the back like to move around which I liked a lot and the feeling from the steering was good and the brake you just start braking later and later lap after lap but they keep on stopping you top work Renault if only it had a bit more power I would have one on order now

Clio 197
Interesting, they've lowered the price then.

I got a phone call from my local renault dealer because he was finding it difficult to shift the Twingos (this was about 10/11 months ago).

I'd been in looking at the twingo... but didn't buy it. I received a call a few weeks later asking for feedback to go back to RUK.

The chap thought that I'd opted for a Citroen C1 instead... and when I told him that I actually bought a faster C2 for less money than the Twingo he was very surprised.

I explained that the GT was overpriced for what it was - comparing it to the £10,500 RRP I paid for my C2 Code (and nicely specced at that). I also explained that good residuals of the C2 mean that monthly payments on a PCP are dirt cheap.

I guess that sort of feedback did eventually make it back to RUK and they've done something about it - which is good. Shame it's all happened after I bought my car though!!

PS In my C2, I've had two 'offs' in the past 18k... yet I'd never had one in my 182 over 60k. So if the twingo is anything similar to the 182, I'm guessing it'll handle a lot better than a C2 VTS.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
we had one arrive at work on thursday, took it out yesturday, fell in love, gearbox is awesome, and handling is so tight! i would have one of these over a 197 anyday, love it!!!

Lee

BMW M2C
Nice one Lee, sounds like good fun. Which bits of Bedford were you using...relative to what we know as the South West circuit?

No long back straight Mark. Left right chicane, then a left hander onto the pit entrance straight.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does look good and sounds even better from your feedback, Lee.

Reno clearly have a three-pronged view of the RS's with the Twingo, Clio and Megane. Good to hear that Reno is obviously pumping money and effort into keeping the RS brand out there.

D.

2008 Albi 197
Never been keen on these really until I was in the dealers today - they had one in the middle of the showroom. It was so nice, my girlfriend hated it but I thought it looked fab, would like to have a go in one

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Nice pics and write up :) I like it, I'd never have owned one but if the natural Renault haggle was up to scratch it's the car I'd recommend to my mum to buy to replace her 1.0 Arosa. She wants a bit more poke, but doesn't need to silly so this little 1.6'd be perfect. Assuming she thought it looked nice, she's love the dark grey I reckon. It'd probably never get revved all the way to the shift light (unless I was still able to borrow it ;)) but it'd still feel like an Evo after that fcuking Arosa...

im a fan!

just a tasty little motor that doesnt try to upset anything above it in the RS range, should find a good little market niche :)

lol at nez in the pic, he'll be showing that to the kids every night when he settles down!