ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent help please with rear wheel bearing

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Changing rear discs.

Eventually managed to get disc off with force.

Is the the other half of the bearing that's ended up left on my car? I've broken the bit in my hand and the bit around the shaft is still on.

16052008107.jpg

Cannot get it off.

Any ideads?

Cheers.

Crap!

Just phoned my break down and they're going to come and tow it to nearest garage :-S

Garage said they'll fit the pads and discs on the rear for about £40. Sick as a chip and I'm not a complete fool but just don't have a puller or a grinder and besides, working all weekend.

Dammit!

Cheers.

R35 GTR
How the fook did you manage to leave the bearing on there! mine was stuck in the disc and it took me 8 tonnes of force to remove it.lol.

Guy just came and heated it up and got it off with a chisel!

Phew!

Just the other side now heh heh.

What a carry on!

Had to put a new disc with old pad on drivers rear leaving the passenger side disc and pad as old.

Not ideal but will do until Sunday when I can attempt to do the passenger side.

I have just put new discs and pads on front and new pads waiting for the rear.

Incidentally, should I grease the shaft that the wheel bearing/disc slips over and onto?

I did put a small amount on but not sure if I'm meant to.

Cheers edde. I did put a small amount on, probably only a really fine layer of grease around the shaft. Not sure if that'll be enough to be fair. Is that likely to cause any problems?

See, I though the bearing was meant to pretty much grip the shaft while the outer casing parts span around that.

Got the car all back together now so it's gonna be a pain to strip back down if I need more grease.

Cheers.

Cheers edde. I did put a small amount on, probably only a really fine layer of grease around the shaft. Not sure if that'll be enough to be fair. Is that likely to cause any problems?

See, I though the bearing was meant to pretty much grip the shaft while the outer casing parts span around that..

Should be fine I've had them in pieces like that time and time again. My on my own car have been in pieces like that about 5 imes and there still on the car after 117k.

Sorry edde, I'm not sure I'm with you.

I've put new discs on with new bearings. Just wasn't sure if I was meant to grease the shaft that the new bearing slides over.

Sorry to keep asking for help.

Cheers.

Sorry edde, I'm not sure I'm with you.

I've put new discs on with new bearings. Just wasn't sure if I was meant to grease the shaft that the new bearing slides over.

Sorry to keep asking for help.

Cheers.

No problems ask away.

i meant I've had them in pieces like that before and put them back together without any issue. The set on my car have been taken to pieces like that a few time when I've had the rear drums off (similar setup) and there fine still.

ok I understand. Just wasn't sure if I needed to grease the shaft good and proper ready for the new bearing or just slide it straight on to an ungreased shaft.

I'm convinced I can hear a humming from the passenger rear. In fairness this was there before I replaced the disc and bearing. The old bearing was worn as I could rock the disc a bit back and forth. I expected the humming to have gone after fitting the new disc but I can still hear and am wondering if it's because I didn't grease the shaft enough for the new bearing. Like I say, I'm not sure if I'm meant to.

Last edited: