ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver vs Williams!!!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 15 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 15 December 2004

Is it not martin who has the freak g/box though?
no that would be me, although its coming out this week and is gonna be reconditioned... It won be going back in my car, but watch out for another fast willy/valver in the future that could be making use of the extra long gearing ;)... this person has the power to make full use of it... 160+mph Clio anyone? :eek:
Craig in the yellow beast?

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingMonkey on 15 December 2004

Ive had both a 16v a Willy, there is defo a difference in handling and in power delivery.

I was contemplating not going to the Willy after the 16v as I thought there would be little difference, but after a good test drive it was obvious there are differences.
as have i and i have to disagree with u

the valver u have to work to get the performance from the williams takes no effort at al it just pulls all the way

the williams handles better as it has better lower down powrer to pull it out of the courners wehere with the 16v u need to be in the hight revs for it to pull

Quote: Originally posted by night.icon on 15 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by rockport on 15 December 2004

If anyone wants to put this into practise with a 2.0ltr 16v and live near the A13 PM me.

Theres little comparison... more noticable on bends / twists admittedly!
ok i will come in clares williams and still whoop u coz u drive like u have miss daisy in the back
says the driver who got over took @ 120mph while driving a 182 like miss daisy himself ... Id love to challange your williams fat boy - bring it down ;)

P.S you still breaking that valver? i need some bits :(

Quote: Originally posted by night.icon on 15 December 2004

If anyone wants to put this into practise with a 2.0ltr 16v and live near the A13 PM me.

Theres little comparison... more noticable on bends / twists admittedly!
ok i will come in clares williams and still whoop u coz u drive like u have miss daisy in the back
says the driver who got over took @ 120mph while driving a 182 like miss daisy himself ... Id love to challange your williams fat boy - bring it down ;)

P.S you still breaking that valver? i need some bits :(

thats cos i was in a slow ass 182 not a williams :cool:

what u want numpty call me

Polo GTi

Danny, yeah my old Valver was a bad example as it was always broke, but still went like stink as I had the engine rebuilt a few months before I sold it, so engine wise it was tip top, eventually, just lost faith in it, and once I took the Willy for a spin there literally was no turning back for me. I only went to look at my Willy to see one in the flesh, I had never seen one before and was just being nosey, thing is by the end of that week I had sorted out a loan and insurance and I was a day away from owning the Willy.

No offence to the Valver boys, but I just couldnt ever go back to a Valver, like Night.Icon said you have to work them hard to get any result, and in my opnion the result aint as good as the Willy.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i cant really comment fully, but...iv owned a 1.8 16v, and a 2.0 16v. the 1.8 had more modifications than the 2.0 and the 2.0 would eat it alive! over a second quicker on the 1/4 for a start, and the b**ch just pulls like fook from under 2k! Engine wise it has everything the 1.8 was missing! The only downside is it wont happily rev its knackers off to 7500+rpm!

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 15 December 2004
i cant really comment fully, but...iv owned a 1.8 16v, and a 2.0 16v. the 1.8 had more modifications than the 2.0 and the 2.0 would eat it alive! over a second quicker on the 1/4 for a start, and the b**ch just pulls like fook from under 2k! Engine wise it has everything the 1.8 was missing! The only downside is it wont happily rev its knackers off to 7500+rpm!

Yep thats what I miss or should I say hit, the rev limiter on the Willy compared to the Valver

Why do all you numpties compare modded cars. Kin pointless. 16Vs, Willys 172s, 182s are not so far enough apart that the driver means ALL and I mean ALL. Just get a god engined one of the lowest potential spec. and it will even get past the fastest one on an engine trhat doesnt give the best.

Why oh why do you people behave like children at school with "Top Trump" cards.

Just enjoy them. I know you all want to be proud of "the motor". Yet comparing nothing like for like is the most pointless thing in the world. Increasing the engine power if you want is fine. Just dont be so ignorant to then say a valver/Willy/172/182 is quicker than any other Clio model. You might just as well compare the desiel variants or 1.2s.

What a waste of time

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 15 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 15 December 2004

nah not me pal! :)
Shame!

That box would go well the T/bs!
yeah theres a scary thought... hmm, with a rev limit of about 7kish you would be looking at 150+ in 4th gear... :devilish:... ouchy... god knows what it would do in 5th, I never managed to hit the limiter, although I wasnt far off once... needed a steep hill like tho... lol

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 15 December 2004

Why do all you numpties compare modded cars. Kin pointless. 16Vs, Willys 172s, 182s are not so far enough apart that the driver means ALL and I mean ALL. Just get a god engined one of the lowest potential spec. and it will even get past the fastest one on an engine trhat doesnt give the best.

Just enjoy them. I know you all want to be proud of "the motor". Yet comparing nothing like for like is the most pointless thing in the world. Increasing the engine power if you want is fine. Just dont be so ignorant to then say a valver/Willy/172/182 is quicker than any other Clio model. You might just as well compare the desiel variants or 1.2s.

What a waste of time

Best close down the forum and go home then:p

What a waste of time
lol, take it you didnt read a word that was said and just assumed that it had descended into a flame war? you know what they say about assumptions being the mother of all f**k ups? ;) lol

boo, he called us numpties :cry:

LY 200

What a waste of time
LOL

I asked what the difference was standard v standard!!!

What a waste of time your post was!!!:p

Vee dub

I can see ya point about modded v modded tis a bit pointless comparing on a thread about standard v standard.

I have been in a williams a few times and it does feel pokier down the rev range.

But as someone said, they both handle like theyr on rails! and for two cars aged 8-10 years old........ their blimin awesome! :D

Tom

megane coupe F7R

In real life a williams wouldnt exaclty leaving a valver for dead would it? You just have to revv a Valver harder to compete, and it will rev to 7k all day long. Thats what makes it a fun drive. They are both awsome cars.

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 15 December 2004

In real life a williams wouldnt exaclty leaving a valver for dead would it? You just have to revv a Valver harder to compete, and it will rev to 7k all day long. Thats what makes it a fun drive. They are both awsome cars.
Agree :D

Quote: Originally posted by aaronc on 15 December 2004

<<Cue BenH>>>
LOL!

Im starting to feel a bit old now as I seem to have seen this debate hundreds of times! Ive owned mint examples of both...

My Valver was a ticket to ride in the world of "drivers" cars. Hot hatches dont get that much more able after this point - people argue all day about comments like this, but really... do they really? Double the bhp (like some mega-hatches do) and you dont get a car that is clearly more able than a 16V and yet still has the perfect balance of power and handling.

Its interesting that people still, after all these years, look at something like the eternal 16V -v- Williams debate from the point of view of power. Perhaps the 172 Cup confused matters as well - because we now see people thinking of the Williams as a fractionally more focused 16V for the discerning enthusuast. It was more than that, from either perspective.

The Willy was really a one-off - like the 172 Cup or V6, but in a different way. What Renault did here was to go to some really odd and expensive lengths to improve over the "basic" 16V - really odd stuff like a double-skinned subframe or greater bias to the rear brakes. Plus of course the low-volume F7R engine and all the other gubbins. Seeped in rally glory anyway, the Clio emerged further focused, but also given a legendarily misleading monicker and highly public row over its limited edition status. It was meant to be a homologation special, but is remembered in pub folklore for different reasons.

When I bought No.123 I was expecting a noisier, more basic Valver with a bit more poke. What I got was something that really blew me away. Regrettably, No.123 and I parted company after a mere 10 months (compared to three times that with my Valver), but I can remember almost every drive. There is nothing Ive since driven that mixes ability and soul so well.

Ive now driven 172s and 182s and theres just something not quite there (although the 182 test drive was getting damn close) - perhaps its my own misty-eyed views, but Im sure Im not alone in thinking this. Ill no doubt end up with a 182 now that the lease car payments have started flowing in, but I reckon when said 182 departs there wont be as many tears as when the 16V or Willy left.

As for whether Id prefer a 16V or Willy... ask anyone else whos had a good example of both and Im sure the answer will be the same.