ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VX220 Turbo to 182 & Tuning help

Hi. I currently own a new VX220 Turbo but unfortunately due to me going back to university Im going to have to sell it for fear of it getting damaged and of course the lack of practicality. Ive driven a 182 and naturally after getting out of my tuned (265 bhp) VX it was hardly fast! The 182 was infinitely better than the CTR I tried though and the handling seemed well sorted for a hatch.

Now I will probably be ordering a new 182 within the next 24 hours but Id like to know what tuning mods are available in the form of sports cat, remapping and induction. Also what kind of power figures can I be looking to attain? Obviously no matter what I do the 182 is never going to better my 4.4s to 60 or 10.2s to 100 but I need that speed fix!!

Thanks for your help :)

Elise/VX220/R26

Ill swap you my 172 for your VX!

Tuning wise based on experience of the 172 (which has the same engine as you might know already) Your looking at serious engine work to get any noticeable gains. A Chip would probably be a good idea but as the 182 already has an extra 10 bhp from exhaust mods a decat will probably not be as notdddffficeable as it is on a 172. Other than that your looking at throttle bodies for really serious performance gains.

Cant believe your getting rid of the VXT!! Ive had a test drive in one and I couldnt stop grinning for 30mins afterward!!!

Not to certian about mods on the 182. But on a 172 get a CDA inclosed induction kit, and a Dastek/Unichip

Dont know about 182 exhaust systems but I have a full Supersprint race system on my 172 and I love it!!!

Depends how much you want to spend

£6k on a turbo kit all in for ~250 to 275hp from K-tec

Romaers TB kit gets you ~212hp for I think about £2.5 to 3k. But then port the head and new cams for another £800 and your on about 240hp.

Otherwise shopping around and you should be able top get 200hp for ~£2.5k.

How do you manage to afford a 182 at uni someone else paying the bills (nothing wrong in that) or you won the lottery?

What work has the VX had on it? Remap, intake and exhaust I would guess?

Well the 182 is around £10k less than my VXT which is nice since Ill get some change to go tuning with :) My Dad is very wealthy and he collects Ferraris and Porsches (currently a 2004 GT2) but I managed to buy the VXT whilst taking a year out of uni, I got a good job and combined with some money I had by selling my Honda SP2 I managed to scrape enough for the VX :)

I feared that tuning the 182 would be hard, has anyone approached Milltek for an exhaust system yet or considered contacting AMD Technik to see if theyd like to do some work on the 182? Ill have a word with them on Tuesday since they did all the work on my VXT.

AMD arent really a renault concerned firm, i wouldnt go to a a firm that hasnt got a clue about your car.

ANyway, tuning the 172/182 isnt hard at all, just a question of do you have the cash.

induction kits, exhausts and chips is all childs play and wont take you anywhere special.

Theres limits to what is sensible though isnt there. After all one of the main reasons why I will buy a new 182 is the warranty, I need the car to be fixed without a giant bill! I have seen the supercharger mod being pulled off very well on the VX220 N/A version but the price is rather high at £5k.

I have ITG doing some development work on my VXT atm and theyre always looking for new cars to develop kits for. I know they do one for the 172 and the people who have used it have commented that it was significantly better than the PiperX Viper and the RR proved this too. Again I shall see what they say.

Yeecup - was that really called for? I mentioned previously that Id worked for the car myself, hardly what I wanted to hear on my first couple of posts.

Lastly, who are the major tuning companies for Renault or arent there really many? Obviously with Vauxhall youve got Regal, Courtenay and AMD but Ive not been able to come across many apart from BB and Hill.

IF you want to be sensible, just keep it std.

Half arsed mods arent worth much TBH.

And the maxogen kit for the 172 registed the same peak gains as my viper developement did.

If your looking for proper tuning PM me.

Quote: Originally posted by DaveHutchinson on 12 April 2004

Well the 182 is around £10k less than my VXT which is nice since Ill get some change to go tuning with :) My Dad is very wealthy and he collects Ferraris and Porsches (currently a 2004 GT2) but I managed to buy the VXT whilst taking a year out of uni, I got a good job and combined with some money I had by selling my Honda SP2 I managed to scrape enough for the VX :)

I feared that tuning the 182 would be hard, has anyone approached Milltek for an exhaust system yet or considered contacting AMD Technik to see if theyd like to do some work on the 182? Ill have a word with them on Tuesday since they did all the work on my VXT.
If your after 200+hp via and GDi and BenR then Id say your looking at 2 to 2.5k so the difference from your VX is only £7.5k which isnt massive. Might be better of keeping the VX.

I dont mind spending the money but theres nothing like a turbo engine for cheap mods! I need to get rid of the VX for many reasons, mainly being that theyre hardly subtle and attract a lot of attention. Fibreglass doesnt dent, it cracks and a new door is in excess of £3k with fitting and spraying rather than £200 to knock a dent out. I know the clio will never match the vx for raw speed and power but Id like to take as little drop as possible, especially since I actually enjoyed driving the 182 (once id gotten used to how large a normal steering wheel is!).

Quote: Originally posted by DaveHutchinson on 12 April 2004

Fibreglass doesnt dent, it cracks and a new door is in excess of £3k with fitting and spraying rather than £200 to knock a dent out.
Sound like you learnt the hard way about composite there not all there cracked up to be (no pun intended).

Would be amazing to see a 200+hp 182 though. Have you though about a older 172 or Cup there a few pre-registed cups for £11k which would save you a bit and are lighter. A yr old cup is about £9.5k so there evn more saving there.

Ive managed to source a 182 with cup sus and spoilers for £12k so Im pretty happy with that, Im going to give it some more thought over the next week or so as Im in no rush to change since uni doesnt start til October although to be honest I may decide to just put up with the heartache of the occasional knock just to keep hold of it since it is rather precious to me :)

I do miss the luxuries though, I was stunned by how well specd the 182 was, most of those things you used to see on £40k+ cars around 2 years ago, very impressive level of specification. Not to mention the fact that you can hear yourself think in the Clio rather than the VXT where all you hear is road noise and wind noise....

As BenR says if you have a bit of money dont bother with the exhaust and filter balls, its hardly a speed fix..

After owning a well sorted mid engined car you must realise that huge power isnt worth it in a FWD, as tempting as it seems. I would personally go for the throttle body kit, youll have a nice dose of power plus an amazing noise and throttle response, then when you have finished uni go onto bigger and better things again..

As for yeecup, blatant jealousy! Just ignore it..theres always going to be people who cant give people a pat on the back for doing well in life.

Ill look forward to seeing how your 182 develops!

-Rob

Silver Fabia vRS

I spoke to AMD about mods for a mates 172 when I got my Miltek SS Exhaust fitted to my BMW and they said they werent really interested as they mainly deal with VAG cars

Thanks for your help guys, Im certain if I do go this route that Ill be looking to get some pretty serious results. At the moment though Im desperately trying to find a way to keep my VX since I simply cant get rid of it!

Renewal isnt helping my case though at nearly £3k even with a year of NCD, I bit the bullet last year thinking it would be well under £3k come renewal but its looking unlikely now.

Clio RS 172

Why not go for a Megane RS with 225 bhp? thats some serious sam right there. And since i turboed you should easily get 300 bhp without much work. Dont know the price difference on the 2 but id fance i RS regarding a 182