ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wanted a m3 but....

197cup
V6 would be awesome fun but for the money I would look into something Jap. Def not a wanky BWM - f**king hate them and the tossers who drive them

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I would go M3 everytime.Plus the majority have taken a huge hit pricewise,so your not going to loose that much over the V6.

V6 has the looks going for it but thats it.Everthing else says M3 to me

LOL at the car mag reporters in this thread! makes me chortle

i like them both... but the vee is more of a statement, hell it might not be as good as the M but look at it, sit in it... all changes

Golf 7R
The deciding factor for me would be exclusivity. I have seen 3 M3's just driving to Sainsburys to get me some lunch, and in comparison i have only ever seen 2 Vees in about 2yrs.

I see 1 Vee parked at the car wash and it was getting more attention than the DB9 parked 2 cars away... and thats fact!

This coming from an outsider with no real passion for either car!

172 ph1
V6 - A french piece of s**t which is actually pretty embarasing and slow. Piss poor build quality and very poor fuel useage. people who do not know what the car is will think its a clio with body kit. £14k for a f**king clio ? i dont think so.....pieces of plastic s**t i hate them.

M3 - Although i detest BMW's and the idiots that drive them, this is the only BMW i like. Id take one over a V6 anyday, interior os nicer and the engine is better. 3.2 straight 6 with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]343 bhp at 7900 rpm and 4.8 to 60mph.

Slow ass s**tty clio, or better, faster and decent looking BMW.
[/FONT]
pretty much what he said.

the M3 has better chassis dynamics, engine pedigree, build quality, ergonomics...

if it was a E46 325i you were comparing to the V6 then there might be some doubt

clio 16v
V6 - A french piece of s**t which is actually pretty embarasing and slow. Piss poor build quality and very poor fuel useage. people who do not know what the car is will think its a clio with body kit. £14k for a f**king clio ? i dont think so.....pieces of plastic s**t i hate them.

M3 - Although i detest BMW's and the idiots that drive them, this is the only BMW i like. Id take one over a V6 anyday, interior os nicer and the engine is better. 3.2 straight 6 with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]343 bhp at 7900 rpm and 4.8 to 60mph.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slow ass s**tty clio, or better, faster and decent looking BMW.[/FONT]

wtf? this is a clio site mate.... dont go throwing french piece of shite about because people who have v6s probably hold them in quite high regard.

personally.. id go for the bm... like the look of them more TBH

Golf GT TDI

M3 - Although i detest BMW's and the idiots that drive them, this is the only BMW i like. Id take one over a V6 anyday, interior os nicer and the engine is better. 3.2 straight 6 with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]343 bhp at 7900 rpm and 4.8 to 60mph.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slow ass s**tty clio, or better, faster and decent looking BMW.[/FONT]

take your dads dick out of you mouth you silly little girl and start talking sense:nono:

i thought the build quality was ok on the few v6`s i drove.

i would have an M3 over a clio but then again i would never spend that sort of money on a car.... there is more to life.

nothing wrong with clios at all;)

MCS R56
f**k the V6 lol. Something with relativly good build quality or something which has come out of a cerial box ?????????

Hmmmmmmm i wonder.

What he said. Also, the performance, the looks, the practicality.....

No contest. M3 humps the Vee! (IMO, before the 'you don't get the V6' reply crew start posting!:rasp:)

Last edited:
  Engles Mummy
i cant get a clio v6 out of my head.

i'm looking to spend between 14-17k on a new car, its between a e46 m3 and clio v6, what would you go for and why?

are the v6's likely to lose much money compared to the m3?

running costs are very similar but think i know which will get the most looks

Hello Mate,

I went from a v6 to an M3. Get the v6 first, get it out of your system otherwise you will always regret it. Buy the V6, then sell it after a year and get an m3 46. The m3 is a MUCH better car, it's MUCH faster and is a MUCH better build quality. But the V6 gets MUCH more attention...up to you.

Adam

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i've always loved M3's and did consider one when i got the vee, still do like them and always give them a second glance still.

But i love having something different, drive through a busy town center and people point at it and wave at you which is quite funny, always get a lot of people whipping phones out to take a picture.

There certainly not slow and so far i've found mine to get decent round the corners, not as chuckable as my modified cooper S i had but a totally different car!

As said, get a vee even if its only for a few months just to say you have owned a iconic car then go sensible!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I like both cars but I would go clio v6 for that feeling what ya get when ya own something special. Agree with real number1 ya should consider the m coupe instead of m3 if ya don't mind the age.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
E46 is a decent car...Just dated. Shame they never put the SMG box in the Z4M...

V6 al day long.

Clio 182 & Golf Mk1 Racer
I bought an M3 about a month ago and love it tbh. Yeah, common as muck and maybe have a bit of an image problem, but at the end of the day they are popular for a reason.

The engine is an absolute gem and from what I have been able to gather so far, it is a very capable all rounder. A nice place to sit in too.

Picked mine up with BMW waranty and full BMW service history, 57k, silver grey a la CSL, SMG, all the toys and with genuine CSL rims too.

It was pretty much on the budget of the OP as well, which imo, is good value for the car you are getting.

Love the V6 Clio's but not sure if it is for me. Would feel a bit guilty about tracking it tbh!

Some pic whoring...

MyM326.jpg

MyM39.jpg

^^^ Ali has not yet offered me a shot of his V6, but when he does, we could do some back to back testing of the two! :cool:

that's stunning ali, love the wheels

Thanks Rory. I like the way that they are really concave (If that is the right word!) at the rear. Dont think I could ever bring myself to change the wheels.

I paid a bit more than I originally wanted but this was is mint and has all the history and was owned by a detailer, so I think it will have been well cared for.

Some more...

MyM317.jpg

M3JWY4.jpg

Last edited:
Ali I really like that! My mate had one, same colour but black interior. They all need the CSL wheels

Thanks Justin. Tbh, if it was me specing the car from new, I probably would have played it safe and gone for the black leather but this is really growing on me now. The Recaro polepositions re-trimmed in the imola red would look pretty cool I think!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
I am lucky enough to have driven both, and between the two common or not, i would get the m3.

Every single thing, bar maybe the novelty is in another world in the BMW.

Performance, is a completely different ballpark not even worth discussion. M3 would eat the Vee.

Interiors no point in discussing - the vee is basically the default interior of a clio.

Build quality - again, bmw will be better. Early ones i understand have a few problems though so be careful.

Running costs - cannot really say alot here due to not running one for a period of time, but petrol i am sure is similar, but im sure the bmw is still a bit worse. Servicing costs for M-cars from a BMW dealer are expensive as far as i recall. 3-4x more than a normal bmw.

The main thing the clio has is wow factor, they look gorgeous and do sound the part. Also rarer by some margin.

Honestly, in my opinion i wouldnt even think about it. But its each to their own, the vee does have that special thing about it. But the M3 is a supreme machine and they are falling into a good price range now!

Enjoy which ever you buy though :D

A depreciation free V sounds sensible, for me the M3 e46 would have to be a csl.

I must admit, both the Vee and the CSL are going to fare far better against depreciation.

Unfortunately I cant afford another 10k for a CSL, so this will have to do me! :)

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Shame they never put the SMG box in the Z4M...

Why? The SMG boxes are shite! The manuals are fantastic in the M3. Far less to go wrong as well. Bet the SMG is big bucks to fix if it fails! (sure the manual isnt cheap neither though ;o))

Why? The SMG boxes are s**te! The manuals are fantastic in the M3. Far less to go wrong as well. Bet the SMG is big bucks to fix if it fails! (sure the manual isnt cheap neither though ;o))

...and on what grounds are they 's**te'?

Why was the CSL never available with a manual?

Complete SMG failure is very rare and usually just a pump failure that is around £400 iirc. That is what waranty is for.

The SMG is the same gearbox as the manual, just operated using hydraulics.

I bit clunky when cold (as is the manual) and can be a bit clumsy when pootling around town but when up to speed and on the move, is very good and shifts quickly if a little on the agressive side.

It takes getting used to but I wouldnt want a manual M3 now. Just personal preference.

Also, you dont get launch control with a manual :evil:

Last edited:
  Renaultsport 200
The M3 is fast turning into a ford mondeo. Everybody has one (except me). Drug Dealers have them, Gypsys even have them (serious) and I wouldnt be suprised if people on benefits have them too.

No question, the BM has a far superior build quality, better engine and goes faster.

However, your winky goes smaller and you look like a knob.

The M3 is fast turning into a ford mondeo. Everybody has one (except me). Drug Dealers have them, Gypsys even have them (serious) and I wouldnt be suprised if people on benefits have them too.

No question, the BM has a far superior build quality, better engine and goes faster.

However, your winky goes smaller and you look like a knob.

:lolup:

Yeah I see pikeys and homeless folk driving M3's all the time round here...

Thankfully, unlike youself, there are actual real performance car enthusiasts who buy cars based on the hardware on offer and not as a fashion item to go with your cool spikey hairdo.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Just seen the pics there ali!! WOW! Love it! Looks so right and Certainly goes well around the north loop!!!!