ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water + 172 dont mix

Clio 172mk2
Ok was driving home from work 50 mins late due to tarffic, gets to this one section at lights just about to set off and car comes to a halt. had to wait for RAC man , in total 4 hrs to get home and my cars been towed, engines got water in aparently so wont turn over.

see what garage says tomorow.

that pic shows a standard clio trying to get through , friggin rediculas the drawns not takin it.

Any one know if i can claim off councill to sort it. this road is main one coming out of wakefield , 4 lanes wide, and 2 lanes on far side . I had no way of turning round and it also took out a standard vauxhall corsa , and a alfa romeo

Attachments

• 23082006 (Medium).jpg
    23082006 (Medium).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
  Saxo VTS
Aye.

The roads are aret shoddy.

We live in a country known for it's diverese weather and sudden downpours, yet we get a few cm's of rain and the place turns into a lake.

What's the point of paying road tax? The roads are a joke.

Ctrl + F5 too see pic.

Personally I wouldnt even attempt to drive in water like that.

Your local B&Q closed because of that flood.

^^^ yup if its gone hydraulic its game over will be a right f**king mess. Moral of the storey avoid deep standing water.

Clio 172mk2
problem been sort of sual cariage way, so one way , no way of turning back. engine was on about 1-2k revs , been told it might clear out once can get the sparkplugs out and turn engine hopefully . if not whats cost on some new rods fitting

Audi TT 3.2 V6
thats terrible mate, roads round here in staffordshire have been getting pretty bad but no were near that state. hope you can get your car ticking over again

mk2 ph1
I was heading a local garage in my area in south wales and the road was flooded, my 2 lanes were really deep the other side wasnt that bad and i refused to move until i could use the other side of the road. In the end a police car came and let me cross to his side of the road. Looked in my mirror and a car just went straight through it and came to a halt in the middle lol.

R35 GTR
We had a few bits like that at our meet. Did you have your viper air feed connected to the viper by any chance, as that would have probably done it.

hope its all ok mate.

BLK RSC172
wow thats alot of water....
pitty that your car is off the road...
why cant you determin the fault your self?

Clio 172mk2
ye garage said its hydraulic , totall f`d , quoted me 2700 for engine then 450 labour, kinda laughed at him, as matt blacks quoted me a hell lot less thank gawd, so hope fully guna get it sorted.

i`ll get some pics of the engine later it on me fone :(

Mint Clio Valver!
ain't water a b**ch! come join the hose pipe ban in london and surrey mate!

I was about to drive under a hump back bridge in lymm a few weeks back. and a bloke ran out with his arms waving telling me to turn round. Then I noticed a brand spankin new beema 3series with steam pissing from his engine and a turbo charged nissan something with same thing. both totally fookt! There were flood warning signs out so i bet the council won't pay them s**t! Beema lookt a good £35k+ jobby as well. well nice one.
Thank god i didn't drive the valver thru it, although its so light i prob wuda floated accross. :D

biojo said:
ye garage said its hydraulic , totall f`d , quoted me 2700 for engine then 450 labour, kinda laughed at him, as matt blacks quoted me a hell lot less thank gawd, so hope fully guna get it sorted.

i`ll get some pics of the engine later it on me fone :(

Doesnt surprise me sadly. Ive seen alot of cars driven through floodwater at work and it can do anything from popping the headgasket and bending a couple of rods to launching pistons out of the block/sump and destroying the valvegear and head. Hope it gets sorted asap and at a decent price.

Mint Clio Valver!
could driving through thick spray on the motorway do any damage? or wud the water just turn to steam as soon as it got close to upsetting the engine?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
phattboycoxy said:
could driving through thick spray on the motorway do any damage? or wud the water just turn to steam as soon as it got close to upsetting the engine?

hardly any of that water would get to the engine. i wouldnt worry.

Mint Clio Valver!
ye i guess. them bonnets are handy ain't they!

has anyone hosed their valver or williams down when the engine hasn't cooled down fully yet.

They're agressive looking cars at the best of times but when they've got steam pouring out of the bonnet scoop and the front grill they look seriously peeved!

Clio 172mk2

Attachments

• 24082006001 (Large).jpg
    24082006001 (Large).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
  R35 GTR
you could sell the engine for parts, and it might not cost as much?

Was it because of the viper feed.....?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I live in Wakefield, thats just near the double 2 bridge near kirkgate train station isnt it? My brother got through there with a 40mm dropped saxo, how on earth did you manage that?

Must be these reliable saxos. :p

133/225/CLS AMG
I'd definitely speak to the council!!

There should be adequate drainage or at least warnings too prevent this kind of thing happening. :(

This kind of thing should have been prevented by better roads etc etc. Try your best to get them to pay out, bearing in mind you had no choice about turning round and not going that way.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

R35 GTR
AlexJMills said:
I'd definitely speak to the council!!

There should be adequate drainage or at least warnings too prevent this kind of thing happening. :(

This kind of thing should have been prevented by better roads etc etc. Try your best to get them to pay out, bearing in mind you had no choice about turning round and not going that way.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

car is modified, so the council will probably get away with paying out.

Clio 172mk2
yes dave but all roud legal mods , speed bumps can be no higher then 10cm , and my car is 12cm off ground :)

R35 GTR
biojo said:
yes dave but all roud legal mods , speed bumps can be no higher then 10cm , and my car is 12cm off ground :)

I suppose ferrarris and the like are low, so you may be ok. I think it might be a right off you go through insurance.:dapprove:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Diesel_Power said:
I live in Wakefield, thats just near the double 2 bridge near kirkgate train station isnt it? My brother got through there with a 40mm dropped saxo, how on earth did you manage that?

Must be these reliable saxos. :p

LOL

In the picture there is a pic of another Clio going through it... Think your car must have been abused too much. You won't get any money from that apart from maybe your insurance company... But guess what, it's water damage so that's unlikely too.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
lo i would of not gone through that straight up the Air Intake :p!!! Get a 4x4 aswell ;) !! been driving a new Discovery today! god there scary to park there so big :p

Monaco Blue 172
biojo said:
that pic shows a standard clio trying to get through , friggin rediculas the drawns not takin it.
in fairness to the drains, they probably havent been upgraded for well over 100 years, during which time increasing land surface area has been tarred/concreted over so that natural drainage is virtually non-existant. hence flooding in built-up areas is much more common these days.

p.s. drainage is not the councils responsibility, its down to your local water company. but there should at least be flood warning signs put up, diversions etc. friend of mine killed his golf by zooming thru a very deep puddle in france. but he was being a show-off so he deserved it :rasp: lol

Clio 172 mk2
biojo said:
bah call that water , thats just damp

pic shows left one is full with water, and one at side is half full

spoke to me insurer , and they said it might be covered need to speak to some one tomorows

That dosen't look good:(

Think it's an insurance job