ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'm really happy with how the car sits now. Unfortunately I've got some scrubbing on the front. Its where the arch liner dips down to allow a spanner to remove the bumper to wing bolt. Just going to cut that section away and it should be good to go.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
As promised some proper camera pictures (excuse me as I'm a little rusty).

But first I had noticed some scrubbing on the front when turning at speed or going over a decent bump.

The offending item. (Same on each side):

14197450490_dba10f235b_z.jpg

Offending Arch Liner Section by welshname, on Flickr

Weapon of choice:

14404178583_97d2ee3236_z.jpg

Weapon of Choice by welshname, on Flickr

Removed:

14380666831_729e129de5_z.jpg

Removed by welshname, on Flickr

14360924296_bdeb82564d_z.jpg

Removed Arch Liner by welshname, on Flickr

14197454750_572017329e_z.jpg

Removed by welshname, on Flickr

At this point I noticed there was a lot of dust on the lens so I gave it a clean and got some pictures.

Before pictures for reference (the tuck is hilarious):

14028610050_039b35c6dc_z.jpg

Monaco Reflection by welshname, on Flickr

14028649477_4d7eff7910_z.jpg

Cleaned Monaco by welshname, on Flickr

And afters:

14197455560_774f901b13_z.jpg

Monaco 172 Front by welshname, on Flickr

14382590982_5afc2e6755_z.jpg

Monaco 172 by welshname, on Flickr

14197408358_a1f378dfba_z.png

14382592682_c8bb058913_z.jpg

14197459120_befdcd1faa_z.jpg

Monaco 172 Rear by welshname, on Flickr

14197578327_555fddf4ec_z.jpg

Front Fitment by welshname, on Flickr

14197461140_e00d461de9_z.jpg

Rear Fitment by welshname, on Flickr

Hope those pictures show the "stance" (I hate that word) a little better. I found when I was looking at the cooksport/cup shock combo no one had any real pictures to show how the looked, they always had the wheels turned at a stupid amount of lock etc.

Really happy with how it looks now. Need to let the springs settle a little and then get the tracking done as it's all over the place.

Cheers.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I lold at the beach pics on fb.. I feel your pain with that! Haha

Car looks great though Rhys!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Mark. And yeah it was pretty funny. I got stuck then we got a jag*cough*Mondeo*cough* estate stuck followed by Ed's saxo.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks spot on. If I was getting a 172, i would have done exactly the same.

Clean plates, cup spoiler and your away lad.

Yeah it's all on the list. Which is never ending.

Needs:

- Matching tyres all round
- Wheel refurb
- Mazda 3 MPS aerial (looks like I actually forgot to order mine)
- Clean plates
- Loads of exterior trim parts that are faded
- Cup spoiler
- 182 interior to replace the knackered items in mine
- ph1 gearknob
- Sump gasket
- ktec induction
- engine mounts

There is more too but that's just off the top of my head.

Inferno 225 cup
Cars looking great Rhys, really like how it's sitting now.

Grills could do with a spray over ;)

Monaco is a proper nice colour when clean and kept for.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't really had chance to use them properly. First impressions are that they are pretty firm. Normal road conditions it's fine but pot holes etc it's pretty harsh. At the minute my tracking is all over the place so I'm giving it a week to settle then tracked up and then I'll give a decent write up on them.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well I don't need to worry about the arch liner rubbing anymore. It vacated itself on the motorway just now. Luckily it hasn't hit any of the bodywork.

Felt a bang and saw it in about 40 pieces in my mirrors. Will replace it next month, spent too much on the car already this month.

by9e2u8u.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well quick update. I'm picking up a gearbox next week. Noticed on the way back from Shell Island that the 'box was whining. I tried to pretend to myself that it was the alternator or something but it's not.

Thought I'd give it a go at just topping up the gearbox oil to see if it was low and this is where I realised it was game over for the gearbox. 1.5 Litres I managed to get into the fucker. Noise is still there and just as bad so the damage has been done. I can only assume that someone has had a driveshaft out or something and not bothered to top the gearbox back up as there is no leak on the box. The annoying thing is when I got the car there was no noise and I was going to change the box oil but was properly skint so that was the first thing to get taken off my list of things to do. What a shitter.

This coming weekend I'll be swapping the box, new box oil, new coolant new clutch kit and possibly a few other bits on the car that have been annoying me. Oh and the drivers side driveshaft too. Getting a pair so I'll just do them both whilst they are out.

Cars just hate me...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well quick update. I'm picking up a gearbox next week. Noticed on the way back from Shell Island that the 'box was whining. I tried to pretend to myself that it was the alternator or something but it's not.

Thought I'd give it a go at just topping up the gearbox oil to see if it was low and this is where I realised it was game over for the gearbox. 1.5 Litres I managed to get into the fucker. Noise is still there and just as bad so the damage has been done. I can only assume that someone has had a driveshaft out or something and not bothered to top the gearbox back up as there is no leak on the box. The annoying thing is when I got the car there was no noise and I was going to change the box oil but was properly skint so that was the first thing to get taken off my list of things to do. What a shitter.

This coming weekend I'll be swapping the box, new box oil, new coolant new clutch kit and possibly a few other bits on the car that have been annoying me. Oh and the drivers side driveshaft too. Getting a pair so I'll just do them both whilst they are out.

Cars just hate me...

Why not just drain the box oil, re-fil with new, maybe even remove the shafts whilst it's empty and check condition? If all's ok, button it back up and run it.

If it get's silly noisy, change it, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I think he's worried that it'll s**t itself when we're at the ring later in the year.

If anyone should worry its the guy with the auto 'box.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm utterly useless when it comes to updates. I've got one picture as usual but this weekend I set about replacing the gearbox, clutch and both driveshafts.

Quick picture under the car whilst I had a smoke before removing the old clutch

14421368058_ed7b051f34_z.jpg

172 Clutch by welshname, on Flickr

Thrown it all back together and unfortunately the second hand drivers shaft is FUBAR. Worse than my other one to be honest, sounds like a bag of spanners and knocks all over the place. Going to have to purchase a recon one I think.

Quick video of the noise

[video]https://flic.kr/p/ohCtrx[/video]
https://flic.kr/p/ohCtrx

One thing I will say to anyone willing to attempt a gearbox swap on the driveway is don't unless you're really committed to the job. It's a ball ache. I went for the "out the bottom" method and Renault being Renault have made some horrific design decisions. Mental. The rack bolts are disgusting. Takes about 15 minutes per side on the top ones due to the lack of room there is to turn a spanner in there.

That said the gearbox is great, smooth and my God the clutch pedal is light now. Just goes to show how bad mine was.

Next up I ordered a Mki9100 Parrot kit. Missed my old one and needed a solution for playing music through the standard stereo via bluetooth and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

Dash off

14421577757_0dd6b2a2fe_z.jpg

172 Dash Off by welshname, on Flickr

All installed nice and neatly. Not keen on the button position but as it's wireless I can move it wherever.

14604725271_dbb8a9a0cd_z.jpg

Parrot Mic by welshname, on Flickr

14605951514_25de73d2aa_z.jpg

Parrot Button by welshname, on Flickr

14628009743_f89b9e93a6_z.jpg

Parrot Screen by welshname, on Flickr

Thanks.