ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the brake caliper bleed nipples made from?

Black Gold Trophy
Cheese? Chocolate?

I'm off to the ring thursday, thought it would make sense to fit some Goodridge braided lines and change the fluid for some ATE super blue, that all went fine until one of the rear bleed nipples snapped off!

This is the second time this has happened to me on a 182, they just don't seem to be up to the job!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Same stuff gearboxes are made of iirc?

Just bought some stainless ones so hopefully they should be up to the job

Clio 172
Usually a light cast alloy hence they are very brittle. SS ones are the way forward, apply a little copper grease to the thread prior to fitting!

I have just had the same thing happen to me when doing a fluid change.
The garage advised I would need a new caliper?
Is there no way to drill the remainder of the nipple out and replace with a new one?
What is the accepted method of repair for this common occurrence?

330i. E30 Touring.
Either drill it out, or just replace the caliper.

For the sake of £20 for a second hand caliper, i'd just get another one.

TBH, the best way to loosen these nipples is with a small impact gun..

Thanks Budgie.
Where are you getting them from for £20? I have just had a look on eBay and the cheapest I have found it just over £40 with the postage, with the next one being almost £60 :eek:

Thanks Budgie.

Also, can someone tell me the dimensions of the bleed screw? I am searching for a replacement for the standard chocolate ones made out of something a little more durable.

BG182ff,explod Focus
Cheese? Chocolate?

I'm off to the ring thursday, thought it would make sense to fit some Goodridge braided lines and change the fluid for some ATE super blue, that all went fine until one of the rear bleed nipples snapped off!

This is the second time this has happened to me on a 182, they just don't seem to be up to the job!

I know that feel bro.

I've got to the point where if I'm undoing a bleed nipple I've not touched before I heat it with a small blow torch until it's glowing then leave it to cool before I blast it with freeze spray or shock'n'unlock before I use a 6 point socket to break the seal. Before it goes back in it gets some copper slip on the threads and around the top of the thread to stop any water ingress down the thread.

Protip: If your bleed nipple has been capless for a while then before you loosen it get a drill bit that is a snug fit in the hole and by hand wind it in to get the crud out. Once you have the worst out and have reached metal then a good blast down the hole with WD40 using the straw will blow out the remaining debris. Just make sure your disk and pads are covered so they don't get any oil on them.

Luckily bleed nipples have a handy hole in the middle which are great for an easy out to screw in to. Here is a How to Use guide on them.