ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the Mk2 1.6 16v RSi's like?

Fiesta ST
Just a bit of background info. I currently drive a 1.4RT but probably sometime soon I'll be thinking of getting a new(er) car. I had a quick look on Parkers and the figures for this car seem really good...

0-60 mph: 9.3 s
Power Output: 110 bhp
Torque: 148 Nm
Top Speed: 122 mph
Fuel Capacity: 50 litres
MPG: 39
Insurance Group: 10

Not too shabby, and I like the idea of it being a bit more roomy than the Mk1 and it also has the stiffer suspension, 1/2 leather interior, insurance isn't too bad either!

So, what are they like? Does anyone have the 1.6 16v RSi on here, as I'd love to hear your thoughts. Many Thanks! Pics welcome if anyone has some of their car. :)

There one of the rarest Clios ever made.
There are other 1.6 16V models though the dynamic is more common and more modern the RSI spec was only in the Mk2 phase 1 I think.
Stiffer suspension well its all relitive aftermarket stuff would be trulely suffer even the sporty RS arn't very stiffly spring.
Not a bad car though I'd be tempted to look at a 172 though.

I was in exactly the same boat as you just under 2 years ago. In the end i bought a 99 1.6 16v with all the extras for £4k. People will try to put you off by saying its only slightly quicker than the 1.4, which is cr*p as its quite a lot faster (my Dad has a 1.4 so i've driven both).

Handling is pretty good, body roll isn't great but then again all clios suffer from this. Brakes are sharp and if your lucky you might find one with discs all round. Performance wise the car shifts and it easily pulls to 80 in 3rd, 100 in 4th and never really maxed out 5th.

Don't be put off by the alloys, in real life they look so much better than in pictures. I've never had anyone say they didnt like them. Quite often people ask me where i bought them.

The only downside is as they're quite rare it takes a while to find a good one. It took me around a month to find mine. Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.

PS. I've had mine all this time and its still fun to drive.

Fiesta ST
Thanks for the replies, I was beggining to worry that no one would! :)

I had a look on autotrader (which is actually how I found out about that model) and there were a few knocking around for around the £4k mark.

@Dazz,

Thanks for all that info. That's v.helpful! The alloys were one thing that I must admit dislike on that model Clio, but again, perhaps in real life they look better. ;) Brake wise, I doubt they'd be any worse than the spongy Mk1 RT brakes... I've got 16v calipers, etc, but never got round to fitting them yet. One of these days!

Have you modded yours Dazz?

Cheers, any more thoughts welcome.

Fiesta ST
eves said:
could you not just go for a sport?

You'll have to excuse me, I'm not down with these "new" clio models. :) Sport? Is that completely different to the 16v? What's the spec's?

Surely the insurance would be more though? Anytime you mention RSi / GTi / Sport to an insurance company you can hear them going "chu-ching!" :D

Ta!

Nah mines totally standard. I thought about modding but then if I did that i might as well use the money to buy a Sport instead. My next car will probably be a 182, or something in that power band.

The best idea is to go and try one out. If you don't like it or don't think its powerful enough consider saving and then get the 2.0.

MPG wise ive always had around 33 to the Gallon on average so they're not too bad but not that great either.

0-60 is 9.3 by the book and around 9 in actual figures. Bear in mind you have to change into 3rd at around 55mph so they're faster than you might think.

As standard you get leccy sunroof, windows and mirrors. The seats are fully adjustable and most come with air con and a 6 cd changer. Always check for air con as some models don't have it.

Can't think of anything else at the mo but if you need any more info ask away.

The sport is the Clio Sport 2.0. Theres a 172 and 182 model with various cup models etc. Insurance group 15ish and cost twice the 1.6 to insure.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Not to be confused with the 1.8 RSi. This was a mark I clio and I owned one and it was good, a phase 3 version. It was the bottom of the range cliosport, ranking below the 16 valver and (the wonderful) Williams 1, and slightly less wonderful Williams 2 and 3. I'd go for it if I were you!

Cheers, Rob669

Mazda MX5 1.8
i have a mk2 ph2 1.6 16v but i havent really got much to say about it

goes pretty well but ur always gonna be a chaser and handles very well now mines on coilovers

im not saying im not glad i bought it as i got it cheap brand new and has been pretty reliable but everytime i get in it/drive it it reminds me that it really isnt a good quality car

its worth keeping an eye out for the RXE 1.6 8v. You can get them for about £3k and theres not much between that and the 16v RSI. Its quicker than VTR's and other similar cars, and i actually took an ST150 off the lights the other day, mainly coz he fudged his launch and wheel span to high heaven, lol.

Not a Clio anymore.....
I've got a 1.6 RSi 16v and upgraded from a '95 1.4RT. You really can tell the difference in engine especially with the extra 8 valves kicking in. Plus you get air con, leccy sunroof, 1/2 leather etc. Mines had a bit of engine work done, as well as the cosmetic stuff, and really is a bit nippy. OK its not 172 performance but it will slap the baseball capped chavs in their VTR's!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/weewebbo/1075241373__30_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/weewebbo/1075323382__Clitoro2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/weewebbo/1075323373__Clio1.jpg

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
When I was looking to change my old RT a couple of years ago I tried looking for a 1.6 RSi, but like Edde said, they're rare as hens teeth. In the end I just went the whole hog and got a 172. I think I made the right decision.

Back in 1999 I wanted one of these new, back then they were known as the 16v as all clio2's at the time came only with 8valve engines. I waited and waited for it to be released, but needed a car, so I bought the 1.6Si, wheezy 8valve engine. Guess what 3 weeks after i bought the Si they released the 16v! Typical Renault!
Go for the 16v version
200445.gif

Fiesta ST
Wow! A lot of help, thanks! :D

weewebbo said:
I've got a 1.6 RSi 16v and upgraded from a '95 1.4RT. You really can tell the difference in engine especially with the extra 8 valves kicking in. Plus you get air con, leccy sunroof, 1/2 leather etc. Mines had a bit of engine work done, as well as the cosmetic stuff, and really is a bit nippy. OK its not 172 performance but it will slap the baseball capped chavs in their VTR's!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/weewebbo/1075241373__30_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/weewebbo/1075323382__Clitoro2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/weewebbo/1075323373__Clio1.jpg

Sounds like me but a few years on! The spec of the Clio is better than the VTR but its v.close to a 106GTi (according to book figures) so when I buy some mods hopefully it'll be a bit quicker again. I'm thinking the usual, exhaust, filter, manifold and hopefully a unichip from dastek if I get the cams reprofiled (Piper are quite resonable price-wise in doing this). ;)

Can I ask... what size alloys can the Mk2's take and how much can you lower them by? <- That's kind of an aside question. Anyways, so cheers for the pics and that weewebbo.

len_beach said:

That's a v.nice example. I think that a proper 172 will still be out of my reach at the moment, but the "look alike" is v.nice. Shame I don't have the money right this second.