ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do I need to fit coilovers?

mk2 1.2 16v
Finally getting around to fitting my coilovers tomorrow :D

Just wondered if there were any particular tools or anything that I'm going to need other than the obvious spanners, allen keys, axle stands etc?
For example I thought that I'd need spring clamps but from reading an old thread on here it sounds as if you can just wind them all the way down instead?

Would just rather find out now that in the midst of it all! :eek:

Thanks

mk2 1.2 16v
Cheers

I've got solid top mounts with them to be fitted, will I still need the compressors?

ah cool. not needed then.

nah you would have only needed them if you didnt have the solid top mounts, as you would have had to remove your standard top mounts which would have needed the compressors

Charged Superleggera
so did you manage to get bens old coilies sorted then? also where did you get the solid top mounts from mate?

172 cup
ull need a 21mm spanner and 21mm socket for the damper to hub on the front then its 21mm for top mount to then just whip that out and rear dampers it an 18mm which bolts the damper to the axle and a 16mm for the rear top mount only pain in the arse is getting height right and how u want it which is why i agree with mesa^^ get it either setup properly or someone who has done it before

mk2 1.2 16v
Cheers guys.

Got the fronts fitted yesterday, however the ring to ajust the height on one of them had seized pretty badly.
It was too low to get the wheel back on without it scrubbing so it took us the rest of the day to get that sorted and as a result we didn't get the rears done.
It currently has a rather 'nose-down' stance! lol.

Anyways as soon as I get a chance I'll get the rears done (hopefully shouldn't take too long) and have it professionally set up :) Will post pics when I do.

Firas: Yeah I finally got around to it! lol. As said it didn't all go smoothly however so still got more to do yet. Got the top mounts from another member off here. Need to have a meet up with you guys when I'm back in dundee as of september.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
If you a have not completly finished already there is also a guide on here, in the guides section... theres a few pictures helped me to fit mine worth a quick looksy

i was supprised how easy it was to do, the only annoying bit was adjusting the cambers so they are the same on both sides, still not got it perfect lol

mk2 1.2 16v
Yeah thats what I was using to fit them yesterday, cheers anyway mate :)

I'm just going to take mine to a garage to have it done I reckon, saves the hassle of fiddling with it all the time trying to get it right and I dont think its that expensive to have done?

Charged Superleggera
glad to hear it mate. i wouldnt raise the front anymore than whats ben had it. when you get the rears fitted it will level the front out so dont worry about that. also rears are the easiest part.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Fitting all coilovers is the same - it's the geometry settings that are different in some IIRC ?

mk2 1.2 16v
glad to hear it mate. i wouldnt raise the front anymore than whats ben had it. when you get the rears fitted it will level the front out so dont worry about that. also rears are the easiest part.

Yeah I'm not planning on having it any higher than that (providing I can still get over speed bumps etc) :eek: lol. I only needed to raise it a bit because one of them was lower than the other and it was scrubbing.

Car is in for it's MOT and for a repair at the moment but will be getting the rears on as soon as possible when I get it back :D As you say hopefully that will level out the front a bit and I might be able to drop it a bit more again.

Can anyone recommend somewhere decent to get them set up properly when I've got them on? For example would the likes of quikfit or a local garage be alright to do it?