ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What gains would you expect here?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey.

My 172 currently hits 162.9 on the rollers, the inlet cam is timed slightly advanced due to a damaged end so it can't be timed correctly.

So I decided I may aswell treat the car to a set of catcams.

It will have the following done before next run, this stuff is what's different than what it was to get 162.9

KTR 182 look exhaust (2.5" stainless)
KTR 2.5" decat with or without 200 cell cat.
428 Catcams
remap to suit

what would you hope for if you were in my shoes? Or if you have a good idea of what I can expect then please let me know.

thanks

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My advice would be sell it and buy another 172 that is broken, your already 10bhp down!

Regarding catcams I would go for 438 or 421 cams, not 428s personally.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I'm not 10 bhp down at all. They don't make 172 standard in the first place.
would say I'm a few bhp down due to timing.

don't want 421 as too lumpy.

Go for 438s. Wouldn't be worth the effort with 428s. (438s are the same cams as 421s, just timed differently for better road manners)

A healthy engine with 438s and supporting mods should make around 190. Mine made 188. Another friend made 188 on a different set of rollers. Kyle made 191 from memory on his 172 cup on the same rollers as me.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have 421's, standard air box and mine made 192.1.
With 160lbs ft

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
180-185bhp?

But it's not about figures, I expect you'll be having it mapped for drivability, not just a big bhp spike?

Yea Mapped for road use, so would like more torque and smooth delivery.

I'm thinking he is referring the 'damaged end' to be a damaged cam rather than the bottom end of his engine....

Right on the money there, The end where the tool goes in on the inlet cam is damaged so the tool wiggles, in turn it cant time up right.

I bought those 428 cams on the For sale section, That's why i was going to fit 428's. Otherwise it was going to be a set of normal cams or 197 cams. At the moment its at 144Ft Torque, so if it see's 160+ and 175-180BHp i think i would be happy.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My 421's are fine although my car isn't used as a daily.
Oh and it doesn't like being under 1500 rpm.

Are 421's a bit more aggressive than 428's? Or is it the way they are timed up? @Phase1sr

Yes they are. 428s are mild.

421s I think are the most wild you can go without changing pistons or anything else.

438s are the same cams as 421s, just with different timing on the exhaust cam, with the intention of making them idle better for road manners. Along those lines anyway.