ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What have you ordered? *Detailing*

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure he wouldn't have posted the above comment if he had known you were setting up your own business. He sounded surprised. Still a little underhand.

Give me some credit, I'm not stupid and I wouldn't undercut someone helping me out.

He didn't reply after my second PM and I can only imagine he didn't see it. I don't think it's fair to be ridiculed before he has even replied though and I'd be disappointed if he came back denying my claims.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You'll need them also. I wouldn't have a clue if it wasn't for detailing mates.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Quite apt considering the proposal for moderation was only mentioned days ago, but can this be shifted into a new thread possibly?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just report it mate. Hopefully one of the nice mods can clean it up. :)

To be fair though it's a general detailing thread now so it should include chat about products and the industry.

Might sound like a silly question, but how many passes with a DA should you be making to properly break down a polish such as 106FA?
I find it quite hard to do it by sight, by looking at the polish as I'm working it :eek:

Golf GT & A4 Avant
depends on speed, pressure, temperature etc. you should be able to see the residue start to haze clear instead of cloudy. have a look through Gallys / Dave KGs guides at the top of the section again.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheeky punt here, any one looking for a Snow foam gun check out my sales thread/ pm me.

Really need to get my arse in gear and go and get some C5 before my alloys come back from the powder coaters. Any idea how long i should wait before applying C5 or is it ok to do it as soon as i receive them?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
providing they've been oven baked (as they normally do when powdercoating) it shouldn't be a problem. I picked mine up at lunchtime, and was applying it before dinner the same day once I was home from work

Lads, any advice on some products to get me started at home?

I don't currently use anything special, but since I now have a drive/garage I want to spend some time/money on the car(s).

I'm after

• Alloy cleaner
  • Glass cleaner
  • Body shampoo
  • Fine scratch remover
  • Polish
  • Clay
  • Wax

Budget of around £100 (as a starter).

I'm thinking of

• Bilberry alloy cleaner
  • Meguiars Quick Clay kit
  • Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
  • Meguiars 3 step pack
  • Poorboys bug spray
  • Meguiars Scratch X

Any advice? I really have no idea.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
CJ I just realised I haven't replied to you. Sorry fella! I had 4 similar pm's yesterday.

Sorry dude.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Lads, any advice on some products to get me started at home?

I don't currently use anything special, but since I now have a drive/garage I want to spend some time/money on the car(s).

I'm after
  • Alloy cleaner
  • Glass cleaner
  • Body shampoo
  • Fine scratch remover
  • Polish
  • Clay
  • Wax
Budget of around £100 (as a starter).

I'm thinking of
  • Bilberry alloy cleaner
  • Meguiars Quick Clay kit
  • Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
  • Meguiars 3 step pack
  • Poorboys bug spray
  • Meguiars Scratch X
Any advice? I really have no idea.

CJ ill send a pm your way i have some stuff for sale that i can sort you out with cheap.

CJ I just realised I haven't replied to you. Sorry fella! I had 4 similar pm's yesterday.

Sorry dude.

No worries, I assumed you were busy increasing your post count ;)

I'm now looking at Bouncers 22 wax. Non-stop of product names, each topic/forum recommends differently.

CJ ill send a pm your way i have some stuff for sale that i can sort you out with cheap.

Cheers, no idea what Autobrite is, or how it compares?!

I want decent stuff, the best I can buy (without whale seamen prices).

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
ironx
bilberry wheels cleaner
various brushes
Lambswool mit
masking tape
pooboys blackhole (love this stuff on the meg)
dodo juice purple haze pro
das 6 polisher with chem guys green, white, red pads.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
  • Alloy cleaner - Hmm plenty to choose from. The best i've used is Autobrite britegel but it's only them that sell it.
  • Glass cleaner - Any Glass cleaner will do
  • Body shampoo - Born to Mild
  • Fine scratch remover - Prima Amigo
  • Polish - Menzerna 250ml 106fa
  • Clay - Bilthamber soft clay
  • Wax - AG HD. Definitely buy this if you want wax. If you want a nice sealant the Zaino Range is brilliant.

I'm now looking at Bouncers 22 wax. Non-stop of product names, each topic/forum recommends differently.

Cheers, no idea what Autobrite is, or how it compares?!

I want decent stuff, the best I can buy (without whale seamen prices).

Everyone will recommend differently mate as it's down to personal preference most of the time.

I really do rate the Dodo Juice range for value, and Auto Finesse do some great stuff, without looking at individual products from different brands.

Make sure you get hold of some Autosmart Tardis and Carpro IronX for decontamination and some decent microfibres, along with two buckets and a lambswool mitt.

I'm in work atm so can't go into too much detail, I'm sure someone else will give you some more pointers.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I love Gwash especially if you have fancy protection. Others weren't sure about it.

It's definitely my only shampoo these days.

Mines a bit lacking tbh, Needs a good going over and a few layers of wax applying as its not beading like it use to.

How slick is Gwash? Comparison to Z7?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Tough one. I find it very very good. A lot more sudsy than I though it would be. I find it better than Z7, it's a little older tech so doesn't feel quite as slick as Gwash imo.

This is my basket, anything I've missed (or don't need)?

Wash
Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo (250ml)

Clay
Bilt-Hamber Soft Auto Clay (200g)
Dodo Juice Born Slippy - Ready To Use (500ml)

Swirl/scratch
Prima Amigo - Cleaner Glaze (16oz)

Polish
Zaino Z-2 Pro Show Car Polish (8oz)

Wax/sealer
Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal (16oz)
Dodo Juice Purple Haze (Soft Wax) (250ml)

Wheels
Valet Pro Bilberry Safe Wheel Cleaner (1L)

The Z8 and and Purple haze, are they the same thing? Ie do I only need one or the other?

Wash > Clay > Amigo > Z2 > Purple haze > Z8?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Supernatural shampoo isnt that good apparently, I'd go for btbm or af lather, used both and love them, prefer lather.

Z8 is a spray sealant and gives a better finish, much easier too IMO

lube is not necessary with BH clay btw, just water

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Scrap the PH and buy Z6 with Z8 mate. Follow the instructions of the zaino system it's awesome!

Plenty of you tube videos from Zaino themselves. :)

I'll be doing everything by hand, best applicators? I've always used microfibre cloths. Seen some 'foam pads'.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
nobodies mentioned that Z2 is a paint sealant (a very good one) and not a polish, therefore apply amigo, then Z2 sealant, after regular washing top up with Z6 quick detailing spray, then once a month or when you think the beading and sheeting is dropping off wash then top up with Z8 spray sealant. Z8 is a quick detailing spray that contains a very weak sealant in it so on its own will provide a little protection but not great, but using it to maintain Z2 and you're onto a winner.

If you want the born slippy clay lube buy the neat version and mix it yourself in any old spray bottle, or just buy the meguiarrs or autoglym clay and quick detailer kits which has it all included.

Shampoo just stick to born to be mild, for the price it generally hits the spot with everyone

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a go with ag hd wax on my gf white mini. Removed what defects I could with megs ultimate compound by hand. Must say I'm very impressed with it. I'll post some pics once it's on the meggy

C.J the only I can see missing is de-tar/irony before claying. Although that said I presume you have already got it.

Applicator wise I go with this:-
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/lake-country-light-cut-hand-pad.html and:-

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-microfibre-applicator-pad.html

The megs applicators are brilliant, I would get the 3 pack as one can be used for de-tarring. They work really well.

Finish off with a nice buffing towel, Poorboys is a nice one and a few microfibres. As for waxing I find the finger mitts work great.

Kev can correct me if I'm wrong :eek: