ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is this called (pic)? Also, issue with a bolt, any advice?

Looking for 182
Hi all,

What is the name of the part with the red arrows pointing to it?

Also, I started to undo the nut that is circled, but when it got near the top the age and condition of the thread/bolt has caused it to get stuck, meaning that no matter whether I try to tighten it back up or get it off, the whole thing just spins round. I've tried WD40 and a pair of pliers to hold the top of the bolt while I turn the nut to no avail.

The trouble is, it now means the part with the arrows is loose. Is this dangerous to drive on as I need to get it to a garage to fix. Or can you recommend a way of me fixing it?

Thanks

KRIEh.jpg

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats the steering arm(?) That the arrows are pointing to

Edit- if your doing your track rod end, cant you just grind that bolt off seeing as its being replaced?

Someone should be along to confirm? :p

Lionel Richie
put a trottle juack under the track rod end (the bit you've circled) and jack it up, it'll come off then

Arctic Blue 182 FF
As above its your steering arm with the track rod end,you need to grip the rod and turn the nut on the end of the rod (track rod end),then you can cut that nut off you have circled

Looking for 182
Well, here's the thing. I don't actually need to replace the arm.

The reason I started undoing the bolt was because I was trying to fit new shocks but I couldn't get them in as the bottom was getting caught. So I was going to undo the steering arm, fit the shock, then do the steering up back up again.

Turns out the person who sold me the shocks sent me the wrong ones, they're about 5 inches longer than my original shocks, so **** knows what car they're from.

Does this now mean that I need to replace the whole arm though? I really can't get the bolt off though. Do you think I need to saw it off and get another one?

All you need to do is jack up underneath where your circle is (under the track rod end) so the thread stops spinning, then tighten that nut back up.

And make sure the nut to the left of your arrows is also tight.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
If you can do what Fred says then do that, but if not then chop it off and replace it. Less than a tenner for a track rod end anyways

Looking for 182
All you need to do is jack up underneath where your circle is (under the track rod end) so the thread stops spinning, then tighten that nut back up.

And make sure the nut to the left of your arrows is also tight.

I'll give that a go, although I'm not entirely sure if jacking that bit up with stop it spinning enough.

put down the spanners! removing the steering to fit shocks?

Yes, as above, I had the wrong shocks and undoing that part seemed like the easier way to fit them. It wasn't until I got the shocks in the right space that i realised they were too big. Had I known I had the wrong shocks then obviously I wouldn't have done it.

Lionel Richie
it will trust me, jack it (with the shock fitted!!!) enough so the car is nearly lifting up (do it on full lock too, makes it easier)

Looking for 182
Thanks Fred, I'll give it a go.

I bet you think most of us amateur mechanics are right tits a lot of the time, haha :)

Lionel Richie
no no, fair play for having a go, but for future reference to fit 4 shocks/springs on an RS clio we charge £54 = 1 hour labour, save you getting your hands dirty ;)

Looking for 182
no no, fair play for having a go, but for future reference to fit 4 shocks/springs on an RS clio we charge £54 = 1 hour labour, save you getting your hands dirty ;)

If you were closer I would have the car with you right this second, as I have another 4 or 5 things need sorting before I can sell it :(

Looking for 182
Thanks for the offer. I'm reluctant to drive it anywhere too far away, but may take you up on that if I can't sort it myself.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, jack up the underside of the TRE before undoing/tightening and it'll spin straight off.

Looking for 182
I have a new problem now though. I've got the new shock/spring in place and held in place by the top mounts, but it's no way near lining up with the hub bolt spaces, I have no idea how I'm going to line them up, let alone doing it long enough to get the bolts through.

Any ideas?

LY R26 #288
I used a long breaker bar. Put it between the subframe and anti roll bar and lever it down so the hub comes down. I do that with my foot on the bar whilst I put the bolts through the hub and strut lol.

LY R26 #288
Good. Btw wasn't it you that stopped and spoke to me and dr Jekyll sometime last year at the little chef in flimwell?

I had the same problem mate, big bar required. Enough to pull it down not enough to pull it off the axle stands lol!

Looking for 182
What have I done wrong here at the rear? Is there supposed to be a bush (or whatever you call it) on the other side as well to stop this? If so is there any way off with it with undoing everything I just did? The rear ARB made it a real pain!

OAbOP.jpg

Good. Btw wasn't it you that stopped and spoke to me and dr Jekyll sometime last year at the little chef in flimwell?

Yeah that was me :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, should be a rubber stopper on the wheel arch side also.

I always just undo the drop links on the Whiteline and angle it out the way. Two nuts and it's not a problem anymore..

Looking for 182
I did, I removed them today to put standard shocks and springs (well, Cooksport springs) on ready to sell it as I'm moving to Canada in March. I'll be gutted to see it go but there's no point of me keeping it.

It's all sorted now, thanks for everyone's help.

The coilovers are screwed, they're barely adjustable anymore as I never cleaned them!