ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What lense - D40?

What lense would you recommend to be used with the D40 instead of the supplied lense?

I see loads of different ones posted and i'm not clued up on which is best...

I don't want anything f**king huge but ideally after a bigger zooming in & out range but want to retain a crisp as possible image. What are the wide lenses like that I see on ebay and which is the best one for those?

Also where is the best place to buy the lense? Ebay?

I'm defo getting a 50mm prime lense...

With regards to the lense with a wider zooming in/out range am I going to need a Nikon one to retain the AF feature?

A Nikon 18-200 is an idea "one size fits all lens", very well reviewed and it's finally widely available.

It costs just over £400, will offer you loads more zoom and VR, but won't give you anything wider than your kit lens.

With regards to the lense with a wider zooming in/out range am I going to need a Nikon one to retain the AF feature?

Nope, any Sigma lens with "HSM" in the title will be fine.

Jesus I knew they were expensive but £400 lol. I don't think i'm into it that much to warrant spending that amount.

I think i'll buy some fixed lenses i.e 30mm and 50mm maybe for closer crisper shots?

What would you recommend?

What's the difference between the..

Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4£187.00
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8£75.99

What's the difference between the..

Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4£187.00
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8£75.99

50mm 1.4 is a 'stop' faster, have a look at the Aperture Priority bit of my guide.

Basically, the lower that f number is, the more expensive a lens is going to be and as a general rule, higher quality. For example, a 70-300 f4-5.6 (meaning it's f4 at 70mm but f5.6 at 300mm) costs around £100, yet a 120-300 f2.8 (meaning it can operate at f2.8 throughout the whole range) costs about £2000. A low f number lens is known as a fast lens (f2.8, f2.8 etc) and anything above f4 is generally classed as slow.

Not only does a lower f number mean you can get nice blurred backgrounds, it also means you can use them in lower light. One 'stop' doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but once you get more into it you start wanting faster and faster lens.

R.I.P Zonda S
Everyone should own a 50mm f/1.8 (unless you can afford better) :)

Crisp and fast. 50mm means you have to get close to your subject, but there's nothing wrong with that !

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Chris, the 50mm f1.8 won't auto focus on your d40 - i think thats why JJ is recommending the sigma

R.I.P Zonda S
Oh yeah, no drive motor on D40 body. Makes buying lenses a little unpleasent as you have to steer away from the cheapest AF lenses.

50mm/1.8 is still not a terrible choice for D40 if you dont mind manual focus. (tbh, most dont enjoy it....)

I've ordered a sig 30mm F1.4 asm just gotta decide on what larger lense to buy now in conjunction with the D40...

I still have my std 18-55 that came with the camera.

JJ is recommending the sig 50-150mm F2.8

The Sigma 50-150 is about the same price as the 18-200VR, but its a constant f2.8 throughout the zoom.