ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What oil for 172

Audi S3

Somone will prob say this anyway but... have u checked manual or done a search for related topics on here as im sure there has been hundreds

When i went to my dealer for a touch up paint thingy i asked then. They said 10 40 fully sinth but they get it in bulk and dont sell it. So what is the best brand etc?

Audi S3

Mobil1 0W40 is what i use and is good but i dont have a 172... and AFAIK they dont do 10W40... so couldnt say ...

Skoda Fabia vRS

go with Mobil 1 0W-40 or a good fully synthetic 0W-40/5W-40

you would struggle to find a fully synthetic 10W-40 as im not sure anyone at all makes one for the UK market........Valvoline might do....

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by clio sport on 07 October 2003

My oil needs topping up and just wanted to know the exact grade and make of oil that renault use in the Cup please?
The stuff thats in there now is Elf 10W40 semi-synthetic oil rated to ACEA A3 standard and you wanna top it up an oil that conforms to that spec, dont start mixing oils of a different viscosity!

172, Tiguan

As rich says use the Elf stuff! Do not stick fully synth in it untill its done 10k!!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 08 October 2003

As rich says use the Elf stuff!
It doesnt "have" to be the Elf stuff, you can top it up with a different make, but you need to keep to the original spec, so 10W40 semi-synth is the stuff and check its ACEA A3 rated, will be on the back of the bottle!

Use 10W40 Castrol GTX Magnatec or summat like that...

Thats great thanks for your help lads.

One more question though - on the digital oil level indicator on the dash if the oils been topped right up and then its dropped to 5 marks from the maximum six any ideas how much that is thats been lossed?

I know i should go check but its cold outside and i want to know now!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

My guage is usually one [] from the top actually, but on the dipstick it looks near as damn it max to me, so its hardly any less than full capacity. It actually came like that from new and it used a bit, so I topped it back up.

Do NOT overfill it though!

On a cold engine, flay surface mines halfway up the stick, but the gauge reads anywhere from 000 t0 00000

Ive come to the conclusion that the digital read out is a guesstimate, like the petrol.

Best start getting me hands dirty then coz ive never really bothered to check the level off the dipstick yet!

I saw an oil called Castrol RS on the shelves of Halfords recently but theyve stopped buying it in now any ideas where to get it from, its meant to be the best oil for high performance cars apparently?

I run mine just on the Max mark (Do not overfill as it will block the engine breather and it will have an erratic tickover and a slight drop off in perfomance)