ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What petrol do you run your 1*2 on ??

Shed.
I was running V power in my 1.2 for about 6 months but ive only just started using Poverty Fuel again because of prices.

Actually i was getting about an extra 4mpg from it, so 38-40mpg round town. But my temp sensor is fucked now and im returning a healthy 28mpg currently.

53 Clio's & counting
Iv tried an experiment, i ran my 172 on 95 ron, for 1000 miles, and then on tesco's 99 for a further 1000,( i didnt post this as i knew people would tell me im wrong blah blah) and the tesco's came back as making the car idle better, and made on average 3 mpg better, no real performance increase that i could measure as too many variables involved, but the car felt more eager(sp) and heathy on the 99.

Also as the car can burn higher octane fuel more efficiantly, im happy to be putting in what Renault suggest, around where i am there is never more than 10p difference anyway, so what am i saving myself? F-all really, im not saying there is anything directly wrong with 95 fuel, but id rather know my engine is running at its most efficient(sp)

It seems to me that you get 2 groups of people when it comes to petroleum choices. I'd have to put myself into group 1

1. You fill up using 95 because you feel 97/99 ron is a waste of time & can't feel or notice a different in performance or efficiency.

2. You fill up using 97/99 ron & you are sure it makes a difference, although I think a lot of the time you convince yourself and therefore believe it is actually making a difference.

Best thing to do would be to get a mate to brim your tank and not tell you whats in it, say 10 times. Now out of these 10 times see how many times you can guess the correct one. Be an interesting experiment I think I bet youd be hard pressed to tell.

53 Clio's & counting
It seems to me that you get 2 groups of people when it comes to petroleum choices. I'd have to put myself into group 1

1. You fill up using 95 because you feel 97/99 ron is a waste of time & can't feel or notice a different in performance or efficiency.

2. You fill up using 97/99 ron & you are sure it makes a difference, although I think a lot of the time you convince yourself and therefore believe it is actually making a difference.

Best thing to do would be to get a mate to brim your tank and not tell you whats in it, say 10 times. Now out of these 10 times see how many times you can guess the correct one. Be an interesting experiment I think I bet youd be hard pressed to tell.

its all to do with making the engine run its best, we all spend ££££ to get minimal gains (filters, exhausts,cams etc) why not use the most efficiant fuel?

53 Clio's & counting
I think this is going to go nowhere, the higher the octane rating the better, so therefore super unleaded WILL be better for your engine than 95 ron, its been tested a million times over again, taking performance out of it, as there will be no if any little performance difference, super WILL be better and more efficient for any engine.

RS 172+
Usually use V Power, though last week I filled up at a strange garage at Heathrow and put premium in by mistake. I very quickly noticed a slight hesitancy under light throttle acceleration, and this carried on until yesterday when I ran the tank dry as possible and filled up with V Power again. Now things are back to normal.

I think maybe there's a lot of differences in engine set-ups, and using cheaper fuel is OK in some and not on others. This is evident by some peeps getting high 20's - low 30 mpg, whilst I always average around 40-45 mpg in my 172.

3 Series touring
using a fuel with a higher octane rating reduces the number of molecules that auto ignite when compressed by the piston...this reduces engine "knocking" and puts more of the fuel to use in pushing the piston back down again rather than auto igniting as it is compressed..i could go into more detail but it gets silly so higher octane rating= better economy

RS 172+
Given ones car runs OK on cheaper fuel then, is it worth the extra 7p per litre in the mpg saving?

£1.06 in my local garage for V Power now... though worth every penny for my engine!

RenaultSport clio 172 exc
v-power or sainsburys super for me. V power seems to give me more miles per 20 buck fill up over the super an far more than the normal stuff.

Monaco 172 (02)
Tesco 99.
I cant tell ANY power gains but Im sure it idles better from cold.

Why would Renault say use 98+ if it makes no difference?! Must say it for a reason surely.....?!

G51 BEN
thats what i mean... i want to get one of these additives. my mate says theres quite a margin of difference.

any good suggestions??

53 Clio's & counting
put suger in with the fuel, will run sweeter then....get it.....sweeter.....suger.......il get me coat