ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What should I expect...

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

...from the feel/handling of the front end once Ive fit my front strutbrace? Now, obviously it will be stiffer, but by how much, and how will it feel over bumpy roads?

(By the way, its a 2004 1.4, lowered by 35mm on Spax springs)

-phil-

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

On the Cup mine feels to handle a bit sharper. One hopes youve got the front and rear braces?

Arctic Blue 182

Im thinking of getting a strutbrace for my 182.

With it being stiffer at the front end, will it prevent any necessary flex the car needs? If the front end is too stiff and rigid will it excessive forces cause damage?

I know very little about this, but it was just one of my concerns before/if I get one.

Well I havent bought either yet! Was thinking of popping out today to have a look for one. And yes, i was just thinking of getting a front one :oops:...

Is that a bad idea? Its just a rear one is a bit impractical when I have to carry skis around!

Quote: Originally posted by Faz182 on 23 July 2004

Im thinking of getting a strutbrace for my 182.

With it being stiffer at the front end, will it prevent any necessary flex the car needs? If the front end is too stiff and rigid will it excessive forces cause damage?

I know very little about this, but it was just one of my concerns before/if I get one.
Yes thats what Im thinking too. Im worried that it will either cause the chasis alot of strain or will be so stiff that it will understeer even more!

Isnt a Clio a bit inconnvient for carrying Skis around?

One thing that worries me about strut braces is that if some one bumps into you, the strut brace transmits the damage across the car, so can do a lot more damage than the little shunt would normally do. You can end up twisting the chassis.

I dont think a strut brace with be noticable in everyday driving, just balls out track day driving.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

I did hear that strut braces are more for ya hardcore drivers rather than road use,suppose depends how hard you drive it!

Well I do take it very hardcore every once in a while!

And for the odd occation that i do, i like to have full control! Going out to get a front one now, just for the sheer looks of the thing in the engine bay!

-phil-

Good point above about how a strut brace might affect the cars performance in the event of an impact. I guess a lot would depend on where the point of impact was and of course the severity too as to whether the braces presence helped or hindered. Any thoughts, where are the boffins when you need them .. lol. :D

182, GTR, C63

I request people stop talking about modding there cars as it makes me want wot your on about. I now want strut braces thanks a lot!! And if i do get them ill end up modding it even more :(

if its a head on bump its not so bad, but have a side or front/side collision and this will warp the whole car, as it distributes the forces across the brace.

H22A7 Accord Type R

depends how bad the smash is..........my mate had one on his vtr, and it was in such a smash, the strut brace held the car together lol

Clio 1.6 16V

Ive had front and rear OMPs fitted on the 172 for a couple of years. Use them for a good while then remove them. Then you will notice the difference. Its only slight but the car definately feels a bit more wooly over bumps and corners. Biggest difference I found is when you remove the rear. Regards side impact damage, if the body is crumpled that close to the suspension mounts the chassis is probably trashed anyway, with or without braces fitted.

[Edited by Flying Scotsman on 23 July 2004 at 10:16pm]