ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What speed are you getting on 8mb bb ?

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Im managing a mighty impressive 250 k/s on average :S Think that equates to about 2mb roughly. I know im a fair distance from the exchange (approx 3 mile) but that is kak ! Best speed upto now was 320 k/s (2.5mb ish)

I'm currently downloading @ 560KB/s.

3 Miles is quite far from the exchange, I wouldn't hope for much.

What are your line stats like?

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
172.com said:
I'm currently downloading @ 560KB/s.

3 Miles is quite far from the exchange, I wouldn't hope for much.

What are your line stats like?

Noise margin (dB) : 5.8
Attenuation (dB) : 53.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 2656

LadySarah said:
Mine's about 2mb aswell, even though they said i would defo get 8... so annoying.
They wouldn't say that if you're on an upto 8MB line. If you lived across the road from the exchange you wouldn't even get 8.

I'm 1.5 miles from my exchange (as the crow flies), but have massive attenuation on my line, so I'm more than happy I'm getting 550KB/s plus. Just hope when I move two streets down next week I'll be able to get the same, or I'll be pissed.

bigmouk said:
Noise margin (dB) : 5.8
Attenuation (dB) : 53.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 2656
Yeah attenuation is quite bad there, line noise is OK though.

Mine is:

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Basically ive got a very good 2mb line which is the best i can hope for without cable(ntl). I think the most anyone has seen from an 8mb line is around 7.0-7.1 i believe.

There was a guy on here who said he worked in this area, seemed VERY knowledgable. Might be worth searching in this forum to find him. You'll know when you find his posts, he completely owned someone else who worked for an ISP.

Liquid Yellow 182
I'm still pretty disappointed with mine, just had a BT business line put into the house especially for work. Although my residential line with Telewest was loads quicker, I just needed a static IP address and they couldn't guarantee one.

Yeah I understand it wouldn't really be 8mb, but 2 is still pretty poor. At least I'm not paying for it and the boss is.

MK2 172
Well you should be happy to get 2Mb as a noise margin of 5.8 would not have even got you 1Mb on pre Max broadband. There used to be a phone number you could use to find out what the cable length is back to the exchange. But of course it should have only been used by BT eng's.

Fabia vRS
5.8 is irrelevant right now.

6db is the default snr target on a dsl max line.

at night your snr can drop due to interference.

with 53db attenuation u should have no problems achieving a faster sync rate either.

i would suggest that something is stopping you sync'ing higher. are you plugged directly into the bt master test socket? are you using extension cables? are you using decent quality filters? have you got the lastest drivers/firmware for your modem/router?

depending on your router your snr can be misreported, or your router may be able to keep a stable connection at lower db levels. my router reports between 0 and 3db at night and still keeps a stable connection.

my line details :-

Downstream Rate : 5760 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 6 db
Upstream Margin : 19 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 53
Upstream Line Attenuation : 31

also, nobody will get 8mb throughput speeds. the highest theoretical speed possible is 7.3mb due to overheads.

Last edited:
  MK2 172
A SNR margin of 5.8 does not look that good. Attenuation looks ok. With a distance of 3 mile from the exchange (ok, so we do not know the line length) then a 2MB ish connection speed sounds about right.

Fabia vRS
hello????

did you read my previous post??

6db is the default SNR on a dsl max line.

at night you should expect it to drop due to interference.

nothing wrong with an SNR below 6db if the line is still remaining stable, i'd only worry about it if u are dropping sync.

I'm on 10mb NTL and I get a rock solid 1200K/s out of usenet. Remember that everything is in 1000bits, not 1024. So to work out your theory download for 8mb, its 8000/8=1000K/s

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Adam K said:
5.8 is irrelevant right now.

6db is the default snr target on a dsl max line.

at night your snr can drop due to interference.

with 53db attenuation u should have no problems achieving a faster sync rate either.

i would suggest that something is stopping you sync'ing higher. are you plugged directly into the bt master test socket? are you using extension cables? are you using decent quality filters? have you got the lastest drivers/firmware for your modem/router?

depending on your router your snr can be misreported, or your router may be able to keep a stable connection at lower db levels. my router reports between 0 and 3db at night and still keeps a stable connection.

my line details :-

Downstream Rate : 5760 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 6 db
Upstream Margin : 19 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 53
Upstream Line Attenuation : 31

also, nobody will get 8mb throughput speeds. the highest theoretical speed possible is 7.3mb due to overheads.

^This popped in my head last night while in bed. The socket im using must be the furthest away from the master in the house. I think there are 8 BT sockets in the house, basically every room. I think that might be the problem.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
RobTQ said:
Well you should be happy to get 2Mb as a noise margin of 5.8 would not have even got you 1Mb on pre Max broadband. There used to be a phone number you could use to find out what the cable length is back to the exchange. But of course it should have only been used by BT eng's.

I'm 2.3km from the exchange (thought it was a lot more!)

Great site ..
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php?

Focus ST-2
got the same prob as you bigmouk, i am on adsl max 8 mb but am only get 1.2mb or something. says i should get about 3.5mbs. think its an isp problem? i am about 1.8km from the exchange

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
I've still been using my old ntl broadband (runs out in a couple of weeks but dont have any limits) but im going to try the following on the new 8mb line ...

1. Connect the router directly into the master BT socket.
2. Put any BT phones in the house on an ADSL filter adapter.
3. Leave it for 7-14 days before testing speeds (believe it can take this long the line speed to settle down ?)

172 Cup
McBunny said:
im 820 meters from my exchange aparantly :D

Likewise but all this is straight line distance which has absolutely no relevance on line lengths. I've seen people who can throw stones at the exchange building from their doorsteps but their line lengths have been 2km+ because of the way it's routed arround the roads.

Focus ST-2
Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 288 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 1152 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 28 dB 17 dB
Attenuation 59 dB 49 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 1972 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error 610 9755
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 2 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 68 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

Statistics
Received Cells 104969191
Transmitted Cells 42632772

any see any problems with that? do not have a clue

182 cup
im You are around 1.29 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies).

i have 8mb adsl, and i usually top out at roughly 690kbs on a quick server.

172 Cup
21mbps on ADSL2+

Connect Mode - ADSL2+, auto-fallback
Modulation - G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
Profile Type - Main
Activate Line - True
Coding Gain - Auto
Tx Attenuation - Bis_0dB
DSP Firmware Version E.38.2.12
Connected true
Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
Annex Type ADSL2
Upstream 768000
Downstream 21000000
CO Vendor GSPN
Elaspsed Time 16 day 20 hr 54 min 32 sec

SNR Margin 16.0 dB 19.0 dB
Line Attenuation 24.0 dB 13.5 dB
CRC Errors 0 0

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Aberclio182 said:
Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 288 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 1152 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 28 dB 17 dB
Attenuation 59 dB 49 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 1972 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error 610 9755
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 2 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 68 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

Statistics
Received Cells 104969191
Transmitted Cells 42632772

any see any problems with that? do not have a clue

Your attenuation isn't great (upstream is shite, downstream isn't brilliant) but I would have thought you would have got better speeds than that.

Have you tried the master socket and then getting the line stats?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
.Griff. said:
21mbps on ADSL2+

Connect Mode - ADSL2+, auto-fallback
Modulation - G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
Profile Type - Main
Activate Line - True
Coding Gain - Auto
Tx Attenuation - Bis_0dB
DSP Firmware Version E.38.2.12
Connected true
Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
Annex Type ADSL2
Upstream 768000
Downstream 21000000
CO Vendor GSPN
Elaspsed Time 16 day 20 hr 54 min 32 sec

SNR Margin 16.0 dB 19.0 dB
Line Attenuation 24.0 dB 13.5 dB
CRC Errors 0 0

Nice, do you live in the exchange?!

Focus ST-2
sn00p said:
Your attenuation isn't great (upstream is sh*te, downstream isn't brilliant) but I would have thought you would have got better speeds than that.

Have you tried the master socket and then getting the line stats?

that just a case of plugging the router into the main phone box yeah? and taking those stats off that. or is there another way to get the stats?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Aberclio182 said:
that just a case of plugging the router into the main phone box yeah? and taking those stats off that. or is there another way to get the stats?

Yes, just take the router down to the main box and repeat what you just did. At least then you'll be able to see the effects of the internal wiring in your house.

Focus ST-2
sn00p said:
Yes, just take the router down to the main box and repeat what you just did. At least then you'll be able to see the effects of the internal wiring in your house.

well my wanker of a dad did it, so prob totally piss lol! will try it when i get home.

Fabia vRS
this issue here is the 17db snr.

it's highly likely that because of poor internal wiring, the BT DLM has upped your SNR target ridiculously high. when you first got DSL MAX were you having disconnection issues?

edit - just to add, i always thought that DLM could only apply a 15db snr target maximum, so if that is correct then have you had an issue raised with BT to have your SNR altered manually at any point?

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Adam K said:
this issue here is the 17db snr.

it's highly likely that because of poor internal wiring, the BT DLM has upped your SNR target ridiculously high. when you first got DSL MAX were you having disconnection issues?

edit - just to add, i always thought that DLM could only apply a 15db snr target maximum, so if that is correct then have you had an issue raised with BT to have your SNR altered manually at any point?

He's also on the fast path, if he'd had a lot of disconnections I'd expect him to be on the interleaved path as well. The 17db level is very odd. :S

172 Cup
Laingo said:
Where do you get all teh snr info from?

Depends what hardware you're using. Most routers will show this info in the settings/admin area and some modems can show the info albeit in a round about way.

VaVa
Ahh right. Well I used to use a Netgear modem/router.... BT said that the reason I wasn't getting my full bandwidth was because of that. So I switched to the BT hub and quite frankly it's the biggest heap of shite I've ever had the misfortune to use. Truly shocking.

Fabia vRS
sn00p said:
He's also on the fast path, if he'd had a lot of disconnections I'd expect him to be on the interleaved path as well. The 17db level is very odd. :S

nope, i wouldn't agree with that statement.

now he has 17db snr his line will be uber stable and there would be no need for interleaving to be enabled if he is getting no errors.

Fabia vRS
Laingo said:
Ahh right. Well I used to use a Netgear modem/router.... BT said that the reason I wasn't getting my full bandwidth was because of that. So I switched to the BT hub and quite frankly it's the biggest heap of sh*te I've ever had the misfortune to use. Truly shocking.

give this a go : http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/

that is the new BT speedtester which isn't for general public release yet.

it will give you your bras profile when it gives you your results and you will be able to see if you have a stuck bras @ 2mb.