ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What speed are you getting on 8mb bb ?

D

dick

it said i cant get telewest, but im on it.

and we pay for 2 meg, but i regularly download steadily at like 450k/s

think they musta forgot to change something :)

not bad for £15 a month.

Fabia vRS
Laingo said:
Nice one fella, i'll have a look when i get home.:approve:
when you run the test it will say something like...

"The Performance Tester is now testing Broadband connection. Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 4500 k"

that is mine, and I am on a 4.5mb bras profile which is correct for my downstream linerate.

my results look like this....

results.gif

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
help.jpg

IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5120 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3208 kbps

my throughput is 3.2mb because i am downloading and uploading torrents at the same time, but generally i get around 4mb to 4.2mb throughput.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Adam K said:
nope, i wouldn't agree with that statement.

now he has 17db snr his line will be uber stable and there would be no need for interleaving to be enabled if he is getting no errors.

17 is awfully high though? Surely turning on interleaving and getting an increased sync rate is better than having a high SNR margin and a s**t sync rate!

Whatever, somethings very screwy.

I had about a month of max sync rate where it'd drop to between 1-4db overnight and I didn't get any disconnections.

One day I woke up and it was totally broken, it was disconnecting every couple of minutes, the really amusing thing (although I didn't think so at the time!) is that it was disconnecting and then re-connecting at the same sync rate - something with I thought the DLM was supposed to stop, I had to phone my ISP in the end and they logged a fault with BT, next day it was all back up and running on interleaved. Syncs at about 7200 with a target SNR between 7-9.

172 Cup
sn00p said:
17 is awfully high though? Surely turning on interleaving and getting an increased sync rate is better than having a high SNR margin and a sh*t sync rate!

A high SNR margin is a good thing.

(In normal circumstances, MAX DSL is a pain in the arse tbh)

Fabia vRS
sn00p said:
17 is awfully high though? Surely turning on interleaving and getting an increased sync rate is better than having a high SNR margin and a sh*t sync rate!

Whatever, somethings very screwy.

I had about a month of max sync rate where it'd drop to between 1-4db overnight and I didn't get any disconnections.

One day I woke up and it was totally broken, it was disconnecting every couple of minutes, the really amusing thing (although I didn't think so at the time!) is that it was disconnecting and then re-connecting at the same sync rate - something with I thought the DLM was supposed to stop, I had to phone my ISP in the end and they logged a fault with BT, next day it was all back up and running on interleaved. Syncs at about 7200 with a target SNR between 7-9.

what i meant was that interleaving may have been enabled at one point, and his snr increased to 17db, and then the DLM will have monitored the line and realised that it could turn interleaving off.

Focus ST-2
Adam K said:
this issue here is the 17db snr.

it's highly likely that because of poor internal wiring, the BT DLM has upped your SNR target ridiculously high. when you first got DSL MAX were you having disconnection issues?

edit - just to add, i always thought that DLM could only apply a 15db snr target maximum, so if that is correct then have you had an issue raised with BT to have your SNR altered manually at any point?

in english lol? i have absolutely no idea what your are speaking about lol

what is SNR? and no never had bt alter anything.

also never been disconnected when downloading or surfing

Focus ST-2
downstairs results

Setup Wizard
LAN Settings
Wireless Settings
Internet Settings
Firewall
Advanced
System Tools
Status and Logs
ADSL Status
ATM PVC Status
Logs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support/Feedback

ADSL Status

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 288 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 1152 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 23 dB 15 dB
Attenuation 58 dB 48 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 204 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error 2 520
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 68 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

Statistics
Received Cells 55703
Transmitted Cells 4309

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
.Griff. said:
A high SNR margin is a good thing.

(In normal circumstances, MAX DSL is a pain in the arse tbh)

Yeah, obviously!

What I meant is that it's awfully high for Max DSL where the target is 6db, a drop of about 1 meg on my link resulted in a gain of about 5-6db, so I would think there's plenty left in his line?

Fabia vRS
boys, i think there is something we have overlooked here.

1152 downstream and 288 upstream is a fixed 1mb service.

this in turn brings us to the reason he is on a fast path (interleaving doesn't exist on fixed rate services), and explains his 17db snr.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Adam K said:
boys, i think there is something we have overlooked here.

1152 downstream and 288 upstream is a fixed 1mb service.

lol. Why does it always end up being something simple!

Good spot.

172 Cup
6dB is not a target and I don't know why people claim it is. If any target exists it's to have a SNR level as high above 6dB as possible. 6dB is merely acknowledged to be the usual limit of sustaining a connection.

There's nothing weird, fancy or strange about Aber's 17dB reading and it would suggest he could attain 2mbps easily but this is where MAXDSL and BRAS raises it's ugly, ineffective head.

If Aber were an LLU customer the ISP could simply sync him at 2mbps within seconds, check the SNR again and allow the customer to try it for a few days. Alot easier than BRAS.

Fabia vRS
.Griff. said:
6dB is not a target and I don't know why people claim it is. If any target exists it's to have a SNR level as high above 6dB as possible. 6dB is merely acknowledged to be the usual limit of sustaining a connection.

There's nothing weird, fancy or strange about Aber's 17dB reading and it would suggest he could attain 2mbps easily but this is where MAXDSL and BRAS raises it's ugly, ineffective head.

If Aber were an LLU customer the ISP could simply sync him at 2mbps within seconds, check the SNR again and allow the customer to try it for a few days. Alot easier than BRAS.
yes 6db is the target snr set by BT for the max dsl service on day 1.

are we going to get into a b**ch fight again?

the DLM starts the service off on a 6db profile on day 1 of the 10 day training and then works it's way up if the service is unstable..

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
.Griff. said:

Ok, I'll rephrase it, it tries to sync at 6db and if it doesn't work reliably then it increases the margin and tries again.

172 Cup
Adam K said:
yes 6db is the target snr set by BT for the max dsl service on day 1.

are we going to get into a b*tch fight again?

I wasn't refering to MAXDSL as Aber isn't on MAXDSL is he... It was apparent from his sync rate he's fixed on 1mbps but took you 2 more pages to realise.

If you want a b**ch fight there's an 8 year old on his bike outside. He's quite small but I think you could just about take him.

Fabia vRS
no, the reason why a 6db target snr is set on day 1 is that obviously the lower your snr is, the higher you should be able to sync, although obviously when you get below a certain point you are going to start dropping connection.

so bt set the target snr as 6db as the base level, and then work up from there with the DLM system incrementing the SNR (this works on a 14 day rolling basis) until it finds a stable level.

if on the max service they tried to just give you a target snr as high as it could, then many people would have shitty sync rates.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Adam K said:
no, the reason why a 6db target snr is set on day 1 is that obviously the lower your snr is, the higher you should be able to sync, although obviously when you get below a certain point you are going to start dropping connection.

Was that aimed at me? If so I don't understand, you've just said what I said - although I omitted the bit about the sync rate because it's a given, i.e there's a correlation between sync rate & SNR margin. :S

Fabia vRS
sn00p said:
Was that aimed at me? If so I don't understand, you've just said what I said - although I omitted the bit about the sync rate because it's a given, i.e there's a correlation between sync rate & SNR margin. :S

no, it was aimed at griff who seems to think there is no 6db target for a dsl max service.

172 Cup
Adam K said:
no, it was aimed at griff who seems to think there is no 6db target for a dsl max service.

I'll try and make this easy for you....

For the third time.. I said there is no 6dB target for Aber (the person in question) being on a fixed 1mbps service rather than MAXDSL which has an initial training target of 6dB.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Just tried a different router at home and im getting ..

Line attenuation: 44db
Noise Margin: 7db

previously it was 53db and 5.8db

Is that better or worse? what are the ideal figures ?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
i got 960kbs the other day when downloading software from a microsoft site. i live about 800 yards from an exchange though.

Fabia vRS
bigmouk said:

your new figures are better.

182 cup
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3324 kbps

Downstream 5,337.4 Kbps ( = 5.2 Mbps )
Upstream 375.9 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 8128 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 9.3 dB 25.0 dB
Line Attenuation 27.0 dB 14.5 dB
Output Power 19.8 dBm 12.3 dBm

Focus ST-2
.Griff. said:
I'll try and make this easy for you....

For the third time.. I said there is no 6dB target for Aber (the person in question) being on a fixed 1mbps service rather than MAXDSL which has an initial training target of 6dB.

so do i need to contacted bt then? because i pay for the 22.99 a month and its ment to be up to 8mbs

172 Cup
Aberclio182 said:
so do i need to contacted bt then? because i pay for the 22.99 a month and its ment to be up to 8mbs

I would. It looks like they've just stuck you on a 1mbps service rather than Maxdsl (the fact you're synced at 1152 suggests this). With your line stats you should easily get 2mbps and maybe slightly more with Maxdsl.

this is mine

Conection speed
down
8128 kbps
up
448 kbps

Line Attenuation
down
20 db
up
5 db

Noise Margin
down
10 db
up
29 db

Clio200 EDC Lux
I have good up to 8mb connection, always synch and 8128 down with the actuacl rate around 6mb. I am using the bt home hub, I think its good been connected now for 36 days without any disconnections.

VaVa
Just did the test :(

IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1812 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Fabia vRS
Laingo said:
Just did the test :(

IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1812 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

that is definitely positively a stuck bras profile.

call the tech support monkeys and let them know that u have run the new beta test that show's your bras profile.

be aware that these people may not even know that this beta speed test even exists, because as i said before, it hasn't been released for public consumption yet, and prior to this there was no way for either customers or the ISP themselves to see BRAS profile speeds.

Monaro VXR
When i lived on same street as the exchange i used to get brilliant speeds 7.6mbit was the lowest i got. And highest upload was over 600kb.

Now moved 4 miles away and still get between 4.2 and 5.6mbit depending on time.

VaVa
Adam K said:
that is definitely positively a stuck bras profile.

call the tech support monkeys and let them know that u have run the new beta test that show's your bras profile.

be aware that these people may not even know that this beta speed test even exists, because as i said before, it hasn't been released for public consumption yet, and prior to this there was no way for either customers or the ISP themselves to see BRAS profile speeds.

LOL.... f**king useless indian b**ch. Not only couldn I barely understand a f**king word she was saying, but she said "According to my tests you should be definitely getting 8Mb" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She told me she's going to try something and for me to leave my broadband disconnected for a couple of hours and try it later on.. ?????

Fabia vRS
Laingo said:
LOL.... f**king useless indian b*tch. Not only couldn I barely understand a f**king word she was saying, but she said "According to my tests you should be definitely getting 8Mb" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She told me she's going to try something and for me to leave my broadband disconnected for a couple of hours and try it later on.. ?????

nothing she can do will unstick a stuck profile other than logging the issue to BT for them to remap the circuit.

VaVa
Marvellous. I'm going to have to try a different channel of complaint. Doing my effing nut in this lol.

Again, thanks for your input. :)

Makes me boil that I can talk to some one who knows what they are on about on a car forum, yet the people on the helpline are less knowledgeable about broadband than my mum. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Civic Type -R FN2
i live 1.55km from my exchange and i am getting 2.2mb internet speeds? what can be so wrong? any suggestions? ive tried upping my mtu too 1478 very little difference made....

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
bigmouk said:

OK, now I have ....

Line attenuation: 42.5db
Noise Margin: 9db

But the download speed has dropped to 2208 kbps from about 2500 kbps. I thought those figures are better ? therefore my speed should increase shouldnt it ??? Do i need to give it a few days to 'settle down' ??

Fabia vRS
bigmouk said:
OK, now I have ....

Line attenuation: 42.5db
Noise Margin: 9db

But the download speed has dropped to 2208 kbps from about 2500 kbps. I thought those figures are better ? therefore my speed should increase shouldnt it ??? Do i need to give it a few days to 'settle down' ??

no, you have a higher noise margin now, so you will get a lower sync speed.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
how do i find out my line attenuation etc..

i'm on 8mb but only ever connect at 1.1mb

"You are around 3.12 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies)."

"You should be able to receive 3.5 Mbps or above
at ** Orchard Drive, Ackworth, Pontefract, WF7 7DS."

i have these bad boys?

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps)288
Downstream Rate (Kbps)1152
US Margin29
DS Margin21
ModulationGDMT
LOS Errors0