ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do! Cup or Trophy...FF

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'm wanting a run about but not sure what makes sence to buy! IMO, a Cat D cup would be the way to go, as it's for use to and from work, looks the best out the three and will be more than capable on track.

The FF is slightly comfier, but i can see myself doing all the stuff i did with my last one...And i really don't want to spent money unnecessarily on it.

The trophy impressed me big style on track, which will be a requirement as i'm getting hungry for another track day soon - Not wantin to track the vee especially after it's been resrpayed.

So my dilemma:

Cup - 3.5k or less if i need to repair. Will hold that value
172 - Dunno...been there done that...But comfy wee car.
Trophy...nice seats...Worryin dampers and will lose more value.

cock mobile.
Isn't your old pink bus going cheap now Ali? lol.

If it's for work then I'd go for a 172 FF maybe one with a few mods.

If it's for track then cheap Cup is the way forward.

You need to decide what the car is for.

BMW E46 330i Touring
1: Can you get me a job? I have soft gums and big lips if it helps...?

2: If you haven't got a set budget, then I'd probably fancy a Trophy, especially if you want to carry on track action but not in the Vee. Failing that, a 172 Cup. I'd not bother with a CatD; cheap at £3.5k, but will only depreciate worse than a non-crashed one. Eg - when normal Cups are commanding £3.5k asking prices, in a couple years, say, the CatD ones will be almost impossible to sell at anything like a good price.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
100% not a ph1, don't like them....

For work/fun/track/general abuse.! Cup imo is still the pinacle of the RS range...Bar the Vee... ;)

Vee stays obviously.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
1: Can you get me a job? I have soft gums and big lips if it helps...?

2: If you haven't got a set budget, then I'd probably fancy a Trophy, especially if you want to carry on track action but not in the Vee. Failing that, a 172 Cup. I'd not bother with a CatD; cheap at £3.5k, but will only depreciate worse than a non-crashed one. Eg - when normal Cups are commanding £3.5k asking prices, in a couple years, say, the CatD ones will be almost impossible to sell at anything like a good price.

You think?? :S See i'd say the opposite. I made a good call to sell the pink bus a year or so ago, i got about 7k for an 02 plate import... ;)

Cat D cup imo will hold it's value...and it's only 3.5k as opposed to 9 for the trohpy...

FF...Dunno...

think is i want it to be a comfy car day to day! But if i put buckets it in. It'll be a ballache.

You have too much money Scottish & I hate you*

*Joke, as if I could ever hate that sweet face of yours !

106 GTi
You have already had a 172 I would use it as an opportunity to get something different.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
So its got to be a Renault then, just not a ph1?

yeh, nothing comes close imo!

If its just for general use then i would (And this is only a suggestion on the money saving front)

For the sake of performance,reliability,etc i would say go for a 1997/98 Integra Type R.

You can pick them up uber cheap and they are pretty much ready to hit the track as sold (that and it doesnt have to be a CatD as you stated above, so re-sale will be slightly improved).

But then you seem fanatical about the Reno's lol:eek:

just get a Cat D 182 with Cup packs. Only weighs a bit more than a 172 Cup and has all the toys... failing that get a mint valver shell and 2.0 (F7R or F4R) it get some nice recaro's, coilovers and some simple but effective mods. Will still be comfy, but more fun and tunable.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
You could get a cheap FF and pawn off the interior and extras for a nice price.

...on second thought, just get a Cup.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Nah, not another mk1! lol

Not a type R fan atall.

Mark - you can pay me 700£ anyday of the wk princess. ;)

I think a Cup is the way to go! Looks the best. Does everything i want of it...insurance will be 400 or so. Car won't sting me much! And i would care if i get it chipped...

8-9k for a trohpy is silly imo...

yeah Trophy prices are daft considering they are the least desirable colour possible and the dampers are apparently £800 a corner... silly money considering you can replace them with better items at less than half the price.

BMW E46 330i Touring
You think?? :S See i'd say the opposite. I made a good call to sell the pink bus a year or so ago, i got about 7k for an 02 plate import... ;)

Cat D cup imo will hold it's value...and it's only 3.5k as opposed to 9 for the trohpy...

FF...Dunno...

think is i want it to be a comfy car day to day! But if i put buckets it in. It'll be a ballache.

Well I just think that when Cups become even more affordable, people will avoid the CatD ones as they can get a non-crashed/repaired one for small money anyway...? I know if I had the choice of buying a normal ph1 172 for, say £3k, and a CatD ph1 172 for £2k, I'd go for the normal ph1. The CatD would have to be stupid cheap to persuade me to go for it.

You got a cracking price for your pink beast, I suppose it's all about shopping around. Trophy's can be had for a shade over £7k, 'normal' Cup's for £4k ish...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yeah Trophy prices are daft considering they are the least desirable colour possible and the dampers are apparently £800 a corner... silly money considering you can replace them with better items at less than half the price.
1300 per front damper. Rebuild is £500 for both.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Trophy's are silly holding good money, i only know of 2 for sale for less than 8K & are high miles.
The rest are round 9K.
All this talk of buy this change that, why bother. Get a trophy job done.
Warren will testify having had 182 cup & 172's he was amazed how quick a trophy can cover b roads.
A 10 min test drive proves nothing, takes time to master just what these cars are capable of;)

Warren will testify having had 182 cup & 172's he was amazed how quick a trophy can cover b roads.
A 10 min test drive proves nothing, takes time to master just what these cars are capable of;)

Because you can get a normal 172/182 with Cup packs in a decent colour and you can spend the remainder you saved on the purchase on suspension and still have money saved over. You'd have a similar car with worse front seats, but better suspension and a nice colour... Unless people really like red of course, but to most people that would be a good reason not to buy one. Great cars dont get me wrong, but colour and price would put me off.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Because you can get a normal 172/182 with Cup packs in a decent colour and you can spend the remainder you saved on the purchase on suspension and still have money saved over. You'd have a similar car with worse front seats, but better suspension and a nice colour... Unless people really like red of course, but to most people that would be a good reason not to buy one. Great cars dont get me wrong, but colour and price would put me off.
Suspension will be your opinion. You may get a car that corners harder, but you'll get the ride to go with it. I think part of the point is he doesn't want to modify (I think!). Until you've driven all 3, all just speculation. No one else knows what you want from a car, how you want it to feel etc.

172 cup will the best option for you, cheapest too.

You still have the V6 for features... climate etc

M140i
Trophy prices are daft considering they are the least desirable colour possible and the dampers are apparently £800 a corner... silly money considering you can replace them with better items at less than half the price.

Wish they were £800 a corner lol!!!! Where did u get that price from?? (rolls eyes)

Motorbikes
I read in Evo a while back they were 15 times the price over the counter than the normal dampers?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I read in Evo a while back they were 15 times the price over the counter than the normal dampers?
Yep fronts are £1300 a pop. Rears are no pricier than 182cup ones. Be madness to buy them though, as said earlier they can be rebuilt much cheaper!

Suspension will be your opinion. You may get a car that corners harder, but you'll get the ride to go with it. I think part of the point is he doesn't want to modify (I think!). Until you've driven all 3, all just speculation. No one else knows what you want from a car, how you want it to feel etc.

Hmm... dunno about that really, my car corners much harder and flatter than a Trophy and reacts to bumps and pot holes much better providing more comfort over uneven surfaces. Not only that but god forbid anything breaks on it, then it's also FAR cheaper to fix/repiar/replace.

Wish they were £800 a corner lol!!!! Where did u get that price from?? (rolls eyes)

It was either a magazine or mentioned on here, but if the above of £1300 per corner is true then unlucky to anyone who has to replace a damper. Just 'upgrade' the lot for less money and sell the rest as spares.

A-B or round a track I'd guess there's not much difference between a Trophy and a Cup packed 182. A better car, certainly, but I couldn't personally justify the price difference on having a more hard core car. I'd just modify a normal one and save some cash.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
OMG does no-one listen! You don't have to replce the dampers, get them rebuilt!
No offence thejesus, but every post re your car in it's various states of tune, you paint the picture of it being the best clio on earth!
"A-B or round a track I'd guess there's not much difference between a Trophy and a Cup packed 182. A better car, certainly, but I couldn't personally justify the price difference on having a more hard core car. I'd just modify a normal one and save some cash."
Just shows you haven't done serious miles in one. The Trophy is very different to a cupped 182, I've owned both.