ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do! Cup or Trophy...FF

182trophy & Williams
A-B or round a track I'd guess there's not much difference between a Trophy and a Cup packed 182. A better car said:
seeing as you have such an opinion on this matter have you ever driven a trophy, also what do u own?

To answer the actuall question, everyday fast road/track/commute whip, gotta be a cup

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Being in Scotland, don't park the horse anywhere. Someone is bound to deep fry the poor b*****d.

OMG does no-one listen! You don't have to replce the dampers, get them rebuilt!
No offence thejesus, but every post re your car in it's various states of tune, you paint the picture of it being the best clio on earth!
"A-B or round a track I'd guess there's not much difference between a Trophy and a Cup packed 182. A better car, certainly, but I couldn't personally justify the price difference on having a more hard core car. I'd just modify a normal one and save some cash."
Just shows you haven't done serious miles in one. The Trophy is very different to a cupped 182, I've owned both.

ooh aren't we the little drama queen? "OMG, they like totally dont listen!" :cry:
Even with a rebuild someone quoted £500??? not exactly cheap, plus I wouldn't be so quick to believe they cant totally fail and need replacing, they are on a Renault after all ;)
My car is also bound to be a much much much much much much much better drivers car than your standard factory spec Trophy, I spend money making it that way... best Clio on earth, probably not, but it's close to how I want it to be. For the money I've spent I'd kinda hope it would blow a Trophy into the weeds in absolutely every aspect. The point I'm making is things like suspension, which that and and posh seats is basically what the Trophy is about, can be put on a base model 182 for less money than the cost to upgrade to a Trophy. Not only that but you would be getting superior parts.
You Trophy owners are very defensive about your cars, but I'm not trying to upset anyone, just add some reality which this place sadly lacks. I'd love to say it's the best car I've ever driven, but that would be a lie. It's an extremely good and capable car, but as I said, for the difference in price it's a 'fact' you can make a 182 handle much better with more comfort and still save yourself some cash... which is simply the point I'm trying to make whether you understand or not (which I dont really care if you dont).

M140i
As posted by others in a similar situation, I have owned a 172 cup, 182ff with both cup packs and a trophy, and not to sound biased I can throw the trophy into a corner much easier, and be much more confident than I even could with the other cars I have owned. Yes aftermarket options are available, and cheaper but Im not bothered cos Im on Cliosport wages pmsl :)

On a serious note, across the Renaultsport range there is not a major difference between the Clio's. Each one with its own quirks/capabilites/personalities which is why I have owned 3 of them and still every time I turn the key it brings a smile to my face :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
OMG does no-one listen! You don't have to replce the dampers, get them rebuilt!
No offence thejesus, but every post re your car in it's various states of tune, you paint the picture of it being the best clio on earth!
"A-B or round a track I'd guess there's not much difference between a Trophy and a Cup packed 182. A better car, certainly, but I couldn't personally justify the price difference on having a more hard core car. I'd just modify a normal one and save some cash."
Just shows you haven't done serious miles in one. The Trophy is very different to a cupped 182, I've owned both.

ooh aren't we the little drama queen? "OMG, they like totally dont listen!" :cry:
Even with a rebuild someone quoted £500??? not exactly cheap, plus I wouldn't be so quick to believe they cant totally fail and need replacing, they are on a Renault after all ;)
My car is also bound to be a much much much much much much much better drivers car than your standard factory spec Trophy, I spend money making it that way... best Clio on earth, probably not, but it's close to how I want it to be. For the money I've spent I'd kinda hope it would blow a Trophy into the weeds in absolutely every aspect. The point I'm making is things like suspension, which that and and posh seats is basically what the Trophy is about, can be put on a base model 182 for less money than the cost to upgrade to a Trophy. Not only that but you would be getting superior parts.
You Trophy owners are very defensive about your cars, but I'm not trying to upset anyone, just add some reality which this place sadly lacks. I'd love to say it's the best car I've ever driven, but that would be a lie. It's an extremely good and capable car, but as I said, for the difference in price it's a 'fact' you can make a 182 handle much better with more comfort and still save yourself some cash... which is simply the point I'm trying to make whether you understand or not (which I dont really care if you dont).
As per usual, responding with juvenile insults. Jog on.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As posted by others in a similar situation, I have owned a 172 cup, 182ff with both cup packs and a trophy, and not to sound biased I can throw the trophy into a corner much easier, and be much more confident than I even could with the other cars I have owned. Yes aftermarket options are available, and cheaper but Im not bothered cos Im on Cliosport wages pmsl :)

On a serious note, across the Renaultsport range there is not a major difference between the range. Each one with its own quirks/capabilites/personalities which is why I have owned 3 of them and still every time I turn the key it brings a smile to my face :)
Agreed, Trophy's a good runaround when the Lambo's in for service.

You started him off!!

As much as it pains me to say it I also agree with him (Jon) 100%

As per usual people cant read and determine taking the piss and throwing insults around. I challenge you to answer any of my points I have made and make any relevent counter arguement, other than using your above lame cop out as an excuse.

Maybe I should cry off "boo hoo, Warren's type casting me as a trouble maker because I speak my own mind and people dont like it" *sniff* *sniff*.

So, quick recap for you Warren. Man 'A' goes out spends 5-6k on a 1*2, man 'B' goes out and spends 8-9k on a Trophy. Tell me, how much would it cost to buy a better set of front dampers than the very good but imo highly over rated and vastly over priced Sachs dampers? Please dont try and detract from what I feel is a perfectly valid point (one you've failed to respond to) by trying to make out that I'm insulting you. Just admit I'm right and "jog on" ;)

Peace

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

You started him off!!

As much as it pains me to say it I also agree with him (Jon) 100%
? Where? He says he would hope it would blow a Trophy into the weeds. He's making comments on cars that he has little or no experience of. I'm not passing comment on his car, merely the comparison between a 172, 182cup, and a Trophy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

As per usual people cant read and determine taking the piss and throwing insults around. I challenge you to answer any of my points I have made and make any relevent counter arguement, other than using your above lame cop out as an excuse.

Maybe I should cry off "boo hoo, Warren's type casting me as a trouble maker because I speak my own mind and people dont like it" *sniff* *sniff*.

So, quick recap for you Warren. Man 'A' goes out spends 5-6k on a 1*2, man 'B' goes out and spends 8-9k on a Trophy. Tell me, how much would it cost to buy a better set of front dampers than the very good but imo highly over rated and vastly over priced Sachs dampers? Please dont try and detract from what I feel is a perfectly valid point (one you've failed to respond to) by trying to make out that I'm insulting you. Just admit I'm right and "jog on" ;)

Peace
You've already commented on the Trophy Vs 182, which shows a lack of knowledge. How much time have you spent in a Trophy. I have already said that you may be able to corner harder, but to the detriment of ride. If remote reservoir dampers are so over-rated, why are they used in so many race applications. The price is not from Renault, but Sachs. The Trophy isn't for everyone, but go and drive one. As said, this thread hasn't mentioned modifying, so why bring up 172 + mods as an answer.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
jon - To be fair, i thought the trophy was subline on track as was the R27...Can't comment on the AST's as i've not seen them. Except on Dan's inferno, but i think there different to yours.

Much for muchness...Except the trophy sits 8m higher than a 1.2, that would annoy me a little!

Not to single Mark out here, but his std cup goes fairly well and it's std i believe...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
But when you wanna move the £3.5k Cat D on in a year or so, you'll be able to get none - Cat D Cups for that - and as that's such a small amount of pennies your Cat D will be worth 4 10ths of f**k all.

Stop being a pikey, get the Trophy. Or Trophy owners will mock you. Or just get a 182 Cup - then you still have some comfort for work, and save yourself having to change the manifold and stuff.

Or... One of the sub £10k 197s...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If mods are an option, why not H&R a 172ff, then when you're done with it, sell them seperate. They seem to go quite high second hand, and you get all the toys for a daily driver?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But when you wanna move the £3.5k Cat D on in a year or so, you'll be able to get none - Cat D Cups for that - and as that's such a small amount of pennies your Cat D will be worth 4 10ths of f**k all.

Stop being a pikey, get the Trophy. Or Trophy owners will mock you.

And Trophy owners will still mock you;)
(Joke)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Stop being a pikey, get the Trophy. Or Trophy owners will mock you. Or just get a 182 Cup - then you still have some comfort for work, and save yourself having to change the manifold and stuff.

lol, not wanting to spend more than 3.5k really...trohpy was a bit of a wild idea. I'd need money from the bank if i do it that way. Vee will come off the road in nov i think.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I was just adding on superior option ;)

Seriously though - the 197 is very close to the Trophy on track times based on that Evo article, and is different to what he's owned before.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
lol, not wanting to spend more than 3.5k really...trohpy was a bit of a wild idea. I'd need money from the bank if i do it that way. Vee will come off the road in nov i think.

Ah fair call, but I'm not convinced a Cat D anything is a wise idea to be fair. I'd probably look for 172 Cup with Climate in this case if I'm using it as a daily driver as well :)

Dan

You've already commented on the Trophy Vs 182, which shows a lack of knowledge. How much time have you spent in a Trophy. I have already said that you may be able to corner harder, but to the detriment of ride. If remote reservoir dampers are so over-rated, why are they used in so many race applications. The price is not from Renault, but Sachs. The Trophy isn't for everyone, but go and drive one. As said, this thread hasn't mentioned modifying, so why bring up 172 + mods as an answer.

They are similar speed and with competent drivers perform near ideantical on track from 95% of road tests, but are heralded because they chew up a B road with half the drama. I've not said a 182 is better, far from it, I've said for the money you save you can make your own Trophy, only better... I dont see what is so hard to understand personally or why you have issue with it, comparing standard vs modified the latter always wins.
Also please point out where I say remote oil reservior dampers are over rated? I said the Trophy's dampers are, as you can get remote reservoir dampers for £400 a corner and they are fully adjustable with over 30 settings. You've commented on things I've not said, so to parody you, "this shows a lack of understanding and ability to read things properly". I think the Trophy is a great car, but I'll stick by my original thoughts of it being over priced, argue all you want, I'm not listening though.

Ali - R27 I thought was much better, but that's down to the chassis which is incredible. As for AST's, wouldn't know, dont have em ;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
<sits back and basks in awesomeness of own car choice>

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Won't be getting stripped i want a 4 seater comfy car! H&R's maybe and sticky tyres. Job done, No engine mods...

When i drove the r27 at cadwell the boy was like "LIFT LIFT going up the hill, i just looked over and smiled!" Absolutely flat out! Unreal how much grip the car had!

I'm such a cocky c**t! haha! loved it tho! Just no torque what so ever!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yes, for a full day.

Ali - R27 I thought was much better, but that's down to the chassis which is incredible.

So, in summary, the R27 is the best. Awesome :p

and yes (also for a full day)... lol

R27 is the best Clio out the box that they have done, period. Better than even the Williams... which is f**king saying something!
Fair enough, can't argue with your opinion, at least it's informed.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
See the williams tho!....Again it's rather like the Vee...It's down to the driver.

The 197 is piss easy to drive...the willy....Is bloody difficult! Ace fun when mine was going right, but s**t scary imo! Mid corner twitchiness rivaled the vee!

Nippy white cup
Not being biased but I think you will make the right desicion and get the 172 Cup m8....not a bad little garage you'll have then...one of the best looking, fastest mk2's around...and you'll still have you Vee for posing around town in ;)

Chris

clio
106 gti I think would be my port of call, You appear to be a decent driver and with the right mods there will be nothing in it with a cup, cheaper to buy insure and tax or dare I say it a vts which will be cheaper again!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not being biased but I think you will make the right desicion and get the 172 Cup m8....not a bad little garage you'll have then...one of the best looking, fastest mk2's around...and you'll still have you Vee for posing around town in ;)

Chris

No caterham any more! :( Gutted!

Cup will probably be an edition later in the yr. Got a mate who runs a salvage company, constantly phones me with spurious cars.