ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do! Cup or Trophy...FF

Ad

MK2 FRS
If youve got the money, get the Trophy, if you want to spend less get the Cup. Seems pretty simple.

Warren, ignore the Jesus, its all part of his patter...

See the williams tho!....Again it's rather like the Vee...It's down to the driver.

The 197 is piss easy to drive...the willy....Is bloody difficult! Ace fun when mine was going right, but s**t scary imo! Mid corner twitchiness rivaled the vee!

hmm, see this makes me think even more that you bought a tired old example or something was seriously wrong. I replaced all the suspension on mine, I mean the entire lot and the difference was quite amazing. It's never been and never should be twitchy, the whole reason I loved the car so much was it was the opposite. Stable until a point where it starts to go and the chassis is so compliant that you can correct the skid/slide without that panic factor you get in other cars. In the bends mine was solid and almost infinitely adjustable. This was on totally standard suspension (with correct non Cup springs) all purchased from those c**ts at Reno.

Ad - very simple outlook you have on life. More expensive = beter, newer = better :rolleyes:

Ignorance = bliss

By all means ignore me, but no one has challenged my point yet... then again I'd have called it common sense, maybe there is hope for Clio Sport afterall :rasp:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
The 106 GTi/Saxo VTS post made the most sense to me tbh. And no torque from the 197? It's fine between 5k and 7.5krpm - just keep it there boyo ;)

Dan

I'll do a write up on the R27 when I can be bothered, as I've extensively tested one now under most driving conditions and was just blown away by how good it was.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I can confirm that even with a broken front shock, which is getting fixed tmrw under warranty, it's better in the corners than my Vee was :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup + H&R's =

DSC01132.jpg

Do it Scotland.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
172 Cup for me.

Best balance of looks and driveability of the lot.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
no such thing as a 172 ff, no options on them............

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol i prefer 'The best'......

172, 172 cup. Thats it. no FF.

History lesson.

FF was a term for a 182 WITH both Cup packs fitted, ie fully loaded, ie full fat. For some strange reason its now used on 172's, and non cupped 182's. :S

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

History lesson.

FF was a term for a 182 WITH both Cup packs fitted, ie fully loaded, ie full fat. For some strange reason its now used on 172's, and non cupped 182's. :S
Have to disagree with you. Seen many threads mention FF with cup packs.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

History lesson.

Have to disagree with you. Seen many threads mention FF with cup packs.

Your wrong. The FF term started how i said. (back end of 2003 when the 182 was introduced) But through people not understanding fully, with all the different options etc, its now ff this ff that. As said there is no such thing as a ff 172. Its just a 172. Hense a 182 (basic) is just a 182. Then a 182 Cup, then a 182 ff (with cup packs) and a Me and Dr Rollo will educate. ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
See the williams tho!....Again it's rather like the Vee...It's down to the driver.

The 197 is piss easy to drive...the willy....Is bloody difficult! Ace fun when mine was going right, but s**t scary imo! Mid corner twitchiness rivaled the vee!

hmm, see this makes me think even more that you bought a tired old example or something was seriously wrong. I replaced all the suspension on mine, I mean the entire lot and the difference was quite amazing. It's never been and never should be twitchy, the whole reason I loved the car so much was it was the opposite. Stable until a point where it starts to go and the chassis is so compliant that you can correct the skid/slide without that panic factor you get in other cars. In the bends mine was solid and almost infinitely adjustable. This was on totally standard suspension (with correct non Cup springs) all purchased from those c**ts at Reno.

Ad - very simple outlook you have on life. More expensive = beter, newer = better :rolleyes:

Ignorance = bliss

By all means ignore me, but no one has challenged my point yet... then again I'd have called it common sense, maybe there is hope for Clio Sport afterall :rasp:

DUnno...I replaced all the shocks and front springs on mine, was set up at IF..>Was good, but not as good as everyone chirped...Or mayb i'm not the driver i think i am ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
better than that bus thing ;)

But then driving that kitted up Clio, he maybe used to it ;) ;)

Shed.
Cup mate, get it on coilovers and maybe a few other minor mods. Not the ocmfyest of drivers form what i hear but if your okay with that then go for it.

DUnno...I replaced all the shocks and front springs on mine, was set up at IF..>Was good, but not as good as everyone chirped...Or mayb i'm not the driver i think i am ;)

I replaced literally everything, top mounts, bottom ball joints etc etc etc, dont know how much of a difference it would make, but I'd guess it's a fair bit. Also why would you need standard suspension setting up? Just throw it on and get the tracking done, sorted. TBH I think your example was probably a nail, mechanically most/a lot are, but they are old as f**k.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I replaced literally everything, top mounts, bottom ball joints etc etc etc, dont know how much of a difference it would make, but I'd guess it's a fair bit. Also why would you need standard suspension setting up? Just throw it on and get the tracking done, sorted. TBH I think your example was probably a nail, mechanically most/a lot are, but they are old as f**k.

Ran 149 on the rollers. Had decat/zorst and K&N thing, so not down on power...

On track was fine...But didn't inspire much confidence...was 2 and a bit seconds a lap slower than my 172...Unfair comparison and 4 slower than the vee.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ali, try my Trophy next week, then decide. Cup's the best colour, but as an every day car I prefer to have ABS and air-con. That's not a dig at all the cup owners, just my preference.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Won't be getting stripped i want a 4 seater comfy car! H&R's maybe and sticky tyres. Job done, No engine mods...

When i drove the r27 at cadwell the boy was like "LIFT LIFT going up the hill, i just looked over and smiled!" Absolutely flat out! Unreal how much grip the car had!

I'm such a c**ky c**t! haha! loved it tho! Just no torque what so ever!
RSTuning remap apparently does a pretty good job of gettin some torque low down though ;)

Buy my 172 flamer!
Pink Bus 2?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Nah, Canny justify the cash on a trophy it's 5k i don't have! I got offered a Cat C 172 ph1 for free last nite! haha! Past the buck on that one!

Clio 182 Trophy
Hiya mate, i got a Trophy and my best mate has just bought a 172 cup. Going to be interesting to see the outcome when we have a drag race.....I'd go for the Trophy but then that's me being biased. Both nice cars!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Hiya mate, i got a Trophy and my best mate has just bought a 172 cup. Going to be interesting to see the outcome when we have a drag race.....I'd go for the Trophy but then that's me being biased. Both nice cars!
Drag race will prove nothing, other than who's more willing to abuse their clutch/gearbox.