ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What will win?

CLS, RS MEG
My brother's just got a new Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S line. He said he'd hand me my arse. I'm not to sure though? :p I think i'll win by a margin from 0-100mph

What's the result going to be? :)

I ve driven the 140bhp one, tis not that quick tbh. I imagine the 170bhp would be slower to 60 compared to a 182 but after that the A3 would sail on past.

CLS, RS MEG
I'll give it ago then on my private runway next week :) I'm sure 60-100mph i'd lose. Oh well, given a choice i'd take the audi any day!

clio 182 ff
who care's what will win i bought my clio cos i liked it an i bought my R1 so kick just about every car's ass so really if u want speed buy a bike

0-100 would be quite a convincing win for any of the hot Clios. I doubt the Audi would crack the ton in much below 25 seconds, even with the 170PS lump (a FF 172 does it in about 18-19 seconds).

I've owned a 172 and driven a 170PS A3 TDi extensively in the recent past. Through the gears, it would be hard to pull much ahead from the diesel in a 30 to 70mph scenario - but afterwards a 172 will pull away. Such diesels are great in-gear for fairly short bursts of acceleration and for flexibility at any time, but need interuptions (e.g. accelerating by 40mph at a time, then hitting traffic or a corner) to keep up with a proper hot hatch.

I doubt there's any one area when an agressively driven 172 would be off-pace, but the closest part would be acceleration over a ton and the least close bit will be off the mark.

Finally, the TDi's feel absolutely brutal when you first drive them or sit in the passenger seat - but it's often deceptive! You need something like a later 330d upwards to give a Renaultsport Clio a hiding in a straight line! :D

Last edited:
  Mk1 Eunos Roadster
^I agree. Too many gear changes on the diesel. Low first gear too, so there's no way it'd beat you to 60. Tbh above 70 or 80 power is more important that torque, and seeing as the VAG diesel isn't that fastest revving you'll be able to access your 170bhp more easily. Clio for the win, there.

MCS R56
172 will take the Audi. The diesel feels quick when you are driving it but they are deceptive. Nice cars however!

Clio F1 R27
I've driven both cars extensively. The a3 has a reasonable amount of power when pulling away but it seemed to die away after about 70...

Plus the power to weight ratio would much favour any 172/182.

You'd kill it everytime.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Same power.

But the Audi has l-o-t-s more weight. At least 400 kgs, maybe more.

The Audi may have good in-gear pickup, but the Clio should leave it behind by a v-e-r-y long distance in a standing start acceleration test.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
someone said 18-19s to 100mph?? are u sure there is 2.0 engine?
14.5 max to 0-100mph buddy.

to Ben H "you lost the plot" there is no chance 330d will destroy clio. clio 182.cup/CUP destroys 330ci Mpack. u need m3 or 335d biturbo to win. if iam wrong that means ur clios haven't 2.0 180bhp
trust me

Trophy 007
mattsport does have a point i've raced a few 330d's in my 182 and they havent seen a hope, then the corners come and i'm off.

It does get on my tits tho 70mph+ the way you have to drop the cogs, big diesels are gr8 for lugging heavy lardyass cars about the motorways, and can catch you out in a petrol, N/A hot hatch unless you got the correct gear.

But there is nothing better than being beside a diesel coming off a roundabout and laughing as they go backwards after they initially thought they'd have you due to their torque figures, then at 5000rpm their stops and yours explodes into life, fantastic...

all together now 'i'm petrol til i die, i'm petrol til i die, i know i am, i'm sure i am, i'm petrol til i die...

to Ben H "you lost the plot" there is no chance 330d will destroy clio. clio 182.cup/CUP destroys 330ci Mpack. u need m3 or 335d biturbo to win. if iam wrong that means ur clios haven't 2.0 180bhp
trust me

lololololololol.

Lay off the crack.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

trust me

Your views are as accurate as your punctuation!

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR

trust me

Trust me, your wrong.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
i had a gt-tdi 130 golf mk4 with a remap 180hp'ish n it used to beat chausters 182ff..

u must drive these cars with the torque rather than hitting the red line

172 Cup
Had one of these as a company car for 6 months - they are relatively quick, very refined(boring) My Cup has quite a bit more urgency about it, particularly at higher speeds.

black gold 182

trust me

330ci does 0-60 in the 5's....

Renault Clio 182 Cup
well i am not telling u rubbish and lies I DO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE. i did few topics and treads in this forum and after some idiotic replys i gonna leave this forum
good luck

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
well i am not telling u rubbish and lies I DO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE. i did few topics and treads in this forum and after some idiotic replys i gonna leave this forum
good luck

Why not stay and explain your findings/experience. I would love to be able to tell people my clio did 60 in 6.1:eek: , or may be you have been missinformed?

a renault
good luck

Good luck fella! You're fighting a losing battle, I'd do the same in the same circumstances as well, some people never believe a word you (you as in you/me/everyone generally) say, so not worth continuing it, turns ugly otherwise.

X-172 Cup
Clio wins everytime, would be a different story for in gear times without a change...IE 50-70 mph without changing gear...

Leon Cupra 300
330ci does 0-62 in 6.5s clio 0.62 in 6.1s only bmw wins on top speeds like 140mph+

Fastest 0-60 ive seen of a clio was a cup in evo at 6.5, but that must of bene lucky!

330i's are quicker, 0-100 a clio will maybe match a 330d but once rolling it will pan your ass...:D

335i or d are into another league.

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
Should definately have the A3 - cant find figures for the 170bhp version but according to letstorquebhp.com

Audi 2.0T FSI (197bhp) 0-60 = 7.76 0-100= 20.88
Clio 182 0-60 = 6.49 0-100 = 16.82

has bmw 330i at around same figures as a 182, 330d a lot slower. my dad use to have a 330ci and seemed so much quicker than my 182, now has a 335i which is in a different league...

Leon Cupra 300
^ lol yeah, my old man's in a 335i at the moment, it's stupid!

330d are just rapid when moving, i wouldn't fight one on a motorway!