ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Would Stop a clio from starting the engine

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
as above, still got a starting problem with me clio and apart from fuses and the battery what could stop it from starting

Better than yours. C*nt.
Ultimately, what wouldn't stop it starting! There's a million factors, take it to a garage because unless you can be more descriptive on here we're just going to be taking potshots...

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Lol, ok sorry was a bit tired when i started the thread at 3am this morning, ok this is what is happening

i put the key in, go so start and the starter motor does the turning over thing it does but the engine wont start, ive been told it maybe the TDC Sensor and ive been told it maybe the starter motor not 'engaging'

many regards

Nathan

Caddy Maxi
why would the motor not engage if you've not touched it? have you checked the plugs are sparking? checked the leads?

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
keyham mate, oh and i like your new dials mate, i want the same but all red.

ok a little progress i tried starting again this morning and it went to start but just didnt get there.

Would say plugs, leads or TDC sensor, poibly coil pack?

Can you jump/bump start it?

As said before mate garage will be your best bet.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Get your mate to stand behind it, if the exhaust wobbles or open the bonnet and if the engine turns, then the motor's engaging and it's a spark or fuel problem.

Take one of the plug leads out, put another plug on and make sure that the plug grounds to the head, and again turn the engine over getting a mate to ensure it's sparking.

Put all the caps back on the plugs, and take one of the injectors out. Standing back!!! Turn it over briefly and check you get a mist.

If that's all working then god knows - it should be going bang!

See My Clio? Tell Me
i had a problem with mine and it was a faulty tdc sensor on the fly wheel rob dog renault quoted me about 100 quid i got one from my local car shop for about 17! its a 2 min job to change it 2 bolts and a plug

CB600FS
Nathan did you put a battery on from your thread the other week? If its turning over the starters alright, or is it just spinning?

What does the rev counter do when you turn it over, it it does nothing I'd start to look at your TDC sensor/wiring.

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
ok its turning the engine over, i got my bro to turn the key and the belts spin, so i think that means its turning over.

BMW M135i
Probably best to check if its sparking first. iirc if its not sparking then its probably the tdc sensor.

Scirocco GT 210
My car wouldn't start the other night, had to get the AA man out. My crank sensor (think it's the same thing as the TDC sensor other members are talking about? The one near the flywheel) was covered in dust and this stopped it working. Gave it a clean and my engine started first time instantly.

Superb.