ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's quickest?? A standard 172/182 or one with an induction kit??

mk2 172
I've just taken off my K&N induction kit tonight and put the original one on (due to a pending insurance claim ;) following some 'merc-driving tit' pulling out in front of me!).

After giving it a blast around the local roads, my 172 feels quicker. There is less mid range pull without the K&N, but over 5000rpm, it feels much more quicker.

Has anyone experienced this? I cannot decide if it's a psychological thing or if it is quicker being left standard. I feel some time trials maybe required....unless someone has already tried it??!!

Open induction kits generally just draw the hot air back into the engine thats its producing.

Therefore bad.

Megane Mk4
Yeah very bad tbh
I'm taking my K&N induction off mine at the weekend.
It's nice for the sound it gives, but thats about it :(

Even though I've make-shifted a shield for it, its still picking up hot air ...
( excuse the messy sheild, but it was taken when I first put it on and has been cut down now ;) )

af1.gif

I think I'll be going standard with aftermarket air filter ...

Andi

mk2 172
i had fun and games trying to get the original airbox back on tonight following the impact of my accident (only very light frontal - cracked bumper, wing and dented bonnet). the one bracket closest to the headlight for the original airbox had bent, managed to get it back on tho, airbox just sits a little 'wonky' - i'll have to claim for a new one!
The impact of the accident also snapped the bracket.... the K&N won't be going back on in a hurry!

Clio 172 mk2
I toyed with the idea of making up a decent induction kit for my 172 when I got it but quickly realised that dropping a good panel in the OE airbox was the way to go.

The OE box has two good feeds, one to the front light where there is a flow of cool air and one deeper down in the wing far from any heat sources. IMHO it looks better to have a std looking engine bay as well, especially when it comes to selling the car on:D