ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHEEL ALIGNMENT ANOTHER POST ABOUT IT....

350z , clio 182
SORRY GUYS IF THIS IS REPEATED OTHER PLACES , HAVING REAL PROBS WITH TRACKING ETC..
SO I HAVE CHANGED ALL FRONT SUSPENSION GEN RENAULT , HAD IT TRACKED SO MANY TIMES !
I'M SICK AND TIRED ,
ITS A 182 WITH CUP SUSPENSION PACK . CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG BUT MY CAMBER /CASTOR CANNOT BE ALTERED
ONLY TOE IN / OUT . WHAT ARE THE SETTINGS SO I CAN TELL THE CHIMP OPERATING THE FANCY FANDANGLED 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT JOBBY !!!

SORRY GUYS IF THIS IS REPEATED OTHER PLACES , HAVING REAL PROBS WITH TRACKING ETC..
SO I HAVE CHANGED ALL FRONT SUSPENSION GEN RENAULT , HAD IT TRACKED SO MANY TIMES !
I'M SICK AND TIRED ,
ITS A 182 WITH CUP SUSPENSION PACK . CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG BUT MY CAMBER /CASTOR CANNOT BE ALTERED
ONLY TOE IN / OUT . WHAT ARE THE SETTINGS SO I CAN TELL THE CHIMP OPERATING THE FANCY FANDANGLED 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT JOBBY !!!

They could be setting correctly but you have a bush or whatever that's causing it to become out of sync

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'M SICK AND TIRED ,
Take it to a different place (that knows what they're doing).

350z , clio 182
NEW BUSHES , AND TAKEN IT TO 4 PLACES ? CAN'T ALL BE INCOMPETENT
CAN THEY ? THEY NEW IT WAS A 182 SPORT . DOES ANY ONE KNOW THE CORRECT SETTING'S TOE IN AND TOE OUT?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Hold on, if you've had it to four places and they've all got it wrong how do you know they've got it wrong if you don't know what the settings should be?

What's the problem you're actually trying to fix by getting the wheels aligned?

350z , clio 182
They have used the settings on there machine , each time its different , the attachment of the settings has gone
the car is all over the road with every bump and camber it lurches over over , its not torque steer , i have replaced everything
it has genuine cup struts and new strut tops new trac rods , bottom ball joints , bushes in wishbones , tyres arnt old and arnt dichfinders
loosing the will to live!!!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I had mine done not long ago after reading a recommendation by NorthloopCup on here. I went for the below settings and it's spot on.

Camber F: 2 degrees-
Camber R: Standard (Can't be changed without shims etc)
Toe F: 10 mins toe out
Toe R: Standard (Or can change with shims to around 5 mins)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Forgot to mention, take it to a proper place that use the Hunters system. You'll get a print out of the settings before and after. If it's all done properly and it's still pulling, you can rule out it being alignment and look to see whether somethings bent which is causing it to pull to one side. Could even just be the camber of some roads.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
As much as I bash qwick fit to everyone, I took mine there out of desperation a few months ago for alignment.

They'd got the hunter system in, and the old guy was explaining to me how it all worked and showed me his certificate to prove he'd been trained on it. I then sat in the waiting room which had computer monitors in there so I could see the settings and adjustments as he was doing it.

Drove perfect after and even told me if I fitted my camber bolts within 30 days and took it back, they'd re-do it for half price.

Bit of useless info there for you, but maybe some qwik fit fitters know what they're doing and might be worth giving it a go

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I had mine done not long ago after reading a recommendation by NorthloopCup on here. I went for the below settings and it's spot on.

Camber F: 2 degrees-
Camber R: Standard (Can't be changed without shims etc)
Toe F: 10 mins toe out
Toe R: Standard (Or can change with shims to around 5 mins)
Front camber requires adjustable top mounts or bolts for adjustment too.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
They have used the settings on there machine , each time its different , the attachment of the settings has gone
the car is all over the road with every bump and camber it lurches over over , its not torque steer , i have replaced everything
it has genuine cup struts and new strut tops new trac rods , bottom ball joints , bushes in wishbones , tyres arnt old and arnt dichfinders
Do you have any printouts of these past setups?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As much as I bash qwick fit to everyone, I took mine there out of desperation a few months ago for alignment.

They'd got the hunter system in, and the old guy was explaining to me how it all worked and showed me his certificate to prove he'd been trained on it. I then sat in the waiting room which had computer monitors in there so I could see the settings and adjustments as he was doing it.

Drove perfect after and even told me if I fitted my camber bolts within 30 days and took it back, they'd re-do it for half price.

Bit of useless info there for you, but maybe some qwik fit fitters know what they're doing and might be worth giving it a go
Agree to a point.

I have been to KwikFit a few times and had a good time. One time they even had PilotSports for cheaper than Blackcircles etc which was a nice bonus.

However the last time I went there (with the 172) they royally cocked up the alignment (which IMO was fine when it went in). Very little steering wobble at 100+. Normally I'd say when the wheel wobbles at 80 on a straight road then it needs alignment, but I figured it can't hurt... (Famous last words).

I got it back, and whilst it drove straight as a nail (again, no different to when I left it with them) the steering wheel was pointing at 2 oclock. Had a track day the next morning and only collected the car at 5oclock so they couldn't redo it that afternoon.

Ended up taking it to Kwikfit Dartford (nearish Brands) and they sorted it under their "no quibble guarantee".

They commented that the readings were off the chart and that Hove's equipment must be 'out'.

On the drive back from Brands I noticed that on a flat motorway the steering still wasn't quite right, it was very close- just not perfect. So I thought I'd take it back one more time (this time to Hove again... mistake number 2). Again it was miles out when they'd finished.

Each time they commented that it was miles off when it went on the ramps (Hunter gear).

In the end the deputy manager did it himself, called me to say he did the alignment, drove it straight back onto the ramp and that it was out again, said sorry and that he's going to get their head mechanic to have a look at the suspension. I told them not to touch the suspension and that I'd collect the car the next morning. Turns out it was fine after the deputy manager had a go- steering was perfect. The fact he hadn't even test driven the car to check the results speaks volumes IMO.

I wouldn't trust the Kwikfit name, if I took it back to that place I'd insist the same bloke did it. But even then I'm not 100% since he didn't think to test the car before declaring it out again.

Edit: F*** me even typing that has made me cross haha. Time for a chill pill!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Where are you based OP? I can recommend a brilliant place near me which I've been to a couple of times now.

350z , clio 182
I'm in wigan , north west . i have Eibach springs front and rear , ( not low ) new rear shocks as well
as fronts , attached last one the did . ta guys for all this help and suggestions .

Attachments

• 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 212
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thrust angle should be 0 IIRC?

OP, unless you have camber bolts, there is nothing adjustable on a 182. My 172 had +1 degree of camber on one side and -1 degree on the other. That's just how it is sometimes, you need camber bolts or adjustable top mounts to do anything about it.

The final figures look ok to me though, if it's all over the shop then it suggests something's not done up correctly on the suspension. If it drives fine but the steering wheel is angled then they've done it right, but not aligned the wheel properly.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, it's exactly as I thought. 13 minutes total toe out is a fair bit, although it's still within reason for what these go to. The more toe out you go, the more the car is going to wander over the road, following the camber and bumps. It's the hit you have to take for the increased turn in response and general handling improvements that toe out brings.

If you want it to drive straighter I'd suggest getting it set up so the toe figures are closer to zero. There's nothing wrong with having them set to straight ahead tbh.

Also, the fact the inital readings were so massively toe'd in means you were always going to feel a HUGE difference in how it handled.

172 sport
Well i use a place in prescot mate, not sure what they are called.
Will find out for you. Not far from you if your in wigan. Cheap too and there equipment is top notch.

350z , clio 182
thanks for your help guys , i have no camber bolts so no way of adjusting the camber or castor on the front
this is correct isn't it ? so i need to sort the toe in closer to zero ,

Ex 182 owner
Try blinkmotorsport in winsford. They are the only place that have ever seen weighting the drivers seat to increase the accuracy. They will set what they can. Especially if you take camber bolts with you. They will also tell you what needs sorting. The rear end is a bit more awakward.
http://blinkmotorsport.com/wheelalign.html

Here is my trophy trying to fit their fast road settings. I didn't have camber bolts at the time so you can see what needs improving on mine and the shims i need to bring the rear more symetrical.

T120-Blink2_zpsb3c27d75.jpg

which reminds me i need to go back somtime ;)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If you want some camber bolts, I've got some brand new Powerflex camber bolts in original packaging, never used, for sale. I bought them before I bought my KW V1 coilovers not knowing they already came with the camber bolts so no use for these. Drop me a PM if interested.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've got camber bolts and mines my daily and will never see a track haha.

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
This is exactly the issue I have after replacing front wishbones, top mounts, track rod ends, ball joints all genuine Renault Parts, horrible to drive 🙈😬

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Have you done the inner track rods? Usually you can't feel any play in them but my god it makes a massive difference when you refresh them. I could bearly keep one of mine on the road above 50mph