ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing,ABS problems.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Please bear with me, this is about my Hubbys Megane, not my Clio, but being as it's a Renault I wondered if someone may be able to help.

Hubby and I took our cars out for a nice drive today round some nice country roads. We weren't doing anything daft and there was definitely no hefty breaking. I noticed Hubby back off quite abit but didn't realise why until we got home. He complained that there was a severe metal to metal rubbing noise coming from the nearside rear and that also the ABS light had come on.

I decided to take the car out for a drive so I could hear what he was talking about. It was apparent almost instantly that there is indeed a very loud metal to metal rubbing noise coming from the nearside rear wheel. It was worse when throwing it around a roundabout but towards the end of a mile or so drive was doing it in a straight line too. I did notice the ABS light so decided to test the brakes. I booted the car abit, told Hubby to hold tight and hit the pedal HARD, all four wheels locked up and the car stopped dead, definitely no ABS at all!

I took the car home and we got the rear wheel off. The rear pads have worn very oddly. The top of the outside brake pad has worn with a groove so the outside bit doesn't touch the disk but the inside bit does. The bottom of the pad touches the disk, as do both top and bottom bit of the inner pad. When moving the disk back and forth you can feel a knocking and can hear it. There is also evidence of metal flaking (bits of loose metal filings) but can't find out where they are coming from.(maybe parts of the pads?).

We had a similar problem to this a while back and had the rear wheel baring replaced. (not even 1k ago) .That seemed to do the trick. However the car went in to have new suspension fitted on monday (Apex) and since then in my opinion it has been as boucey and juddery (sp) as f**k! It also had the torsion bar lowered.

The problem with the noise and the ABS happened all of a sudden. I find it hard to believe that the baring has gone yet again after so little mileage.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Oh, forgot to add that the car also had a new handbrake cable fitted at the same time as the new wheel baring.

I am wondering whether it is possible that the handbrake has been adjusted too high causing the brakes to bind, thus causing the baring to overheat and fail. Could this be it, and the reason why the ABS is now not working too?

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
warped disk?

check the ABS ring, there should be a sensory over it, mine split and caused the light to come on as it was moving from under the sensor.

Your ABS rear sensor rings most lily damaged or your ABS sesnor is damaged.

Not a huge problem to fix.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Thanks guys. She's going into the garage in the morning to find out what's caused the baring to go again and hopefully get the ABS sorted.

Cheers.