ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel studs - how much thread is needed?

Long story... but I've picked up some secondhand alloys for the missus' car from another car from the same manufacturer.

PCD, Centre Bore, Offset are all identical.

BUT...

Upon trial fitment, the nuts seem to have less thread to screw on to - it is like the replacement alloys are 'fatter' in the centre, meaning the wheel studs don't protrude so far out.

I'm hesitant to fit the wheels - how much thread is needed for a nut to be safe/secure??

All advice gratefully received!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
7iirc but may be wrong. Should remember as I've had different size spacers over the years.

Remember to torque them up too

7iirc but may be wrong. Should remember as I've had different size spacers over the years.

Remember to torque them up too

For motorsport the MSA recommend 1.5 times the width if the bolt should be threaded into the hub, so m12 bolt = 12x1.5 = 18mm threaded into hub

I normally work to 6 full turns as being alright.

Until all the threads on the hub are engaged, i.e the thickness of the hub.

Roughly 12mm i think.

Many thanks for the replies, chaps :smile:

It seems like there are different standards! But given that I rarely see cars with wheels fallen off, I'm guessing that failures are pretty rare, regardless of which option is used?

Either way, I think I've made up my mind based on other considerations - namely the fact that the original alloys and tyres seem to weigh about 32lb / 14.5kg, whereas the secondhand replacements (that are admittedly slightly larger) with tyres are weighing in at 46lb / 21kg, so 50% heavier... Wuuuuuuut