ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheelie Need Help!!!

172 cup
Here's the predicament...

3 snapped front wheel bolts (1 of which is a snapped locking nut)
1 locking wheel nut stuck on with no mcguard tool to remove

The options I've started going through are;

Rag the wheel and try to snap the remaining bolt off then attempt to drill out 4 snapped bolts.
Don't think this will work as having experience of drilling out bolts it's a nightmare

Call a mobile mechanic who "removes" locking wheel nuts an get him to do drilling etc and reuse my current hub
The cost of this puts me off as mobile mechanics charge a fortune

Get the car trailered to a garage and let them replace the hub after removing the wheel.
Cost again being the issue as it's gonna be £50 to even get the car to the garage then labour hub etc will soon mount up

Get the wheel off myself/mobile mechanic being option 2 if I fail, then replace the hub. Saving the hassle of drilling out bolts.

Come on cliosport help me, or I'll end up going for the final option of burning the car to the floor!

172 cup- suzu rf600r
I'd buy a locking wheel nut remover set, get the wheel off, then either moleys on the bolts where they stick out the back (front if they are protruding) I that fails a stud extractor on a drill, or weld a nut/bolt to the remaining studs an remove that way.

If they are snapped chances are they are seized so with the weld method advantage is the heat should help to break them loose, if your trying the other methods a blow torch to break the rust is probably a good idea

172 cup
Blow torching and welding aren't option as I own neither bits of kit or have access to them. Locking wheel nut remover set didn't come close to removing these nuts as they are mcguard ones and pretty hardcore, plus the sets are £50 and don't always work = a waste of money to me.

I have an extractor set and drill capable of the job, but the mcguard nuts really don't like being drilled out they are hard as fook! Don't think theres anywhere near enough poking through the back to get a grip but I'll double check as I haven't explored that option yet.

172 cup
One snapped when I was swapping wheels over, didn't have the torque wrench so I used a wheel brace- mistake no. 1

I didn't replace it straight away and droves to Leeds on only 3, heard a knocking appear after a couple of fast corners so pulled over- noticing i was down to 2. Couldn't really stop where i was so drove on to the next service station at 30mph, as I pulled into there a third one pinged off and I nearly shat my pants, stopped immediately and got onto recovery service.

The last remaining bolt stuck fast and hard as nails, it laughed at me when I attempted to drill it do I could get the tapping tool in.

172 cup
Appologies for the blatant grammar/ word substitution I'm only on my
iPhone and i have fat fingers :)

BlackGold 182
haha i no what you mean, iphones are terrible for it.

hmm i never experianced anything like it myself, so i couldnt say, but my old car went in to have something done and they couldnt find my locking bolt and charged me £30 to have all four bolts taken out and then new locking nuts so like £50 so wasnt too bad, annoyed when i found the nut where i told them it was!

172 cup
My local garage manic motors is no more, i trusted them with my cars for the last 4-5 years so im really dubious over taking it to anywhere else, too many cowboys! I'm OK with my tools and have done similar jobs, just need to know if there's a winning method for this or if it's a case of "complete b**ch of a job" in which case it will probably be a mobile mech/garage job both of which I'd rather avoid. :(

Help me cliosport, even if it's with a recommendation for a local garage/mech... I'm in south shields :)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
South shields too and ive got 2 bolts snapped in the hub lol if you find a way to get these out do share :p

172 cup
If the bolts ain't to rusted a cheap ole tapping set and a half decent drill does, but mine aren't playing around at all the are stuck!!!

172 cup
Still ain't resolved this, I'm thinking a mobile mechanic is my only option short of me changing the hub myself "if" I can get the wheel off. Gonna have another go on Wednesday and result to a mechanic on Thursday if I have no joy.

Can anyone from the north east recomend me a good mech who can travel :)