ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When does teh 172 top mount knock happen?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got a knock on the 172 and trying to pinpoint it! Everything is tight and no obvious signs of anything being worn out. CV's are on the way so it could be them but the knock happens at any speed so long as Im turning, no knocking if it wheelspins- happened in the wet when already moving along! (Top strut mount Im wondering btw!)

Many thanks
John

Last edited:
  ST
Is it a sort of banging sound mate??

Iain did his top and bottom mounts last week and it still does it....he thinks it could be the drivers side drive shaft on his, give me a listen to it on sat night and i'll try n help.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cool cheers, failing the top mounts on the sus it must be the cv's or engine mounts but the lack of knock with wheelspin makes me think they might be ok, bet that starts soon though!!

Rb 182
As said earlier the worn engine mount (bottom), my moneys on teh Cv's as they did run dry when tom had them and there are signs of a new clip being put in place. It cant fail an MOT for a knock as all the inspection has to be done on the ramp.

Stick a set of shafts and Cvs on it and see what happens. :)

172 Mk2 Ph1
Uprated dogbone bushes lower mount thingy from Ktec £48 posted, being fitted as I type this, ill post this evening to let you know if its cured knock...

Burgandy 174 sport t
my dog bone mount looked perfect mate when Ichanged it, ds getting done this week too so wil let u know

172 Mk2 Ph1
Bugger had straight bar, just ordered twisted bar and getting fitted ASAP, £33.80 inc VAT being delivered tomorrow.

Trophy #473
interested too as mine is making noise, same when tunring at any speed....also when moving off/ lifting off and excelerating, jacked the car up and put it in gear(1st) and there was alot of play when turing the wheel before i hit resistance, diff... i dont know. really rattly noice when turing tho. good renault.

the 172 does suffer from a top front leg knock, from where the leg fits in the body if you remove the the top nut and cap look for ovaling of the hole in the body. if there are signs of contact then remove a small amount of the area and retry. I know it sound a bit harsh but its a renault mod

Lionel Richie
nuppy that is the Renault "bodge fix"

the proper fix (as introduced by myself ;)) involves the fitting of 2 washers

we supply them for £10 delivered

renault altered the camber (or track can't rememeber now) of the 172. and it was a bodge it was sorted for the 182. kind of ... just remind me why do we like these cars

Lionel Richie
the top cap is only there to stop the strut falling out when the car is off the ground

the small nut in the pictures clamps the spring

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
i had a bad prob with the lower engine/gearbox mount!
when i finally found it there was a crack from one side to the other!
then later it split in half!
so i borrowed another the same from crashed danlp6 member,
but it only lasted another couple of months before it snapped away from the body!which then made it hard to get in gear whilst acelerating.

so to fix the prob my self i made a new one myself at work made from steel!
also i bought and fitted k-tec dog mount bushes.prob solved.

untill today!!!!!
what happened the main bolt sheared lol:mad:

Last edited:
  RS-1, Bebop, CTR
I'am not sure if this is related, but I get a strong knocking noise coming somewhere from front suspension, when I accelerate hard in 1th or 2th gear. It also occurs when I accelerate up hill or when accelerating with the fully loaded car (two or more passangers). If I load the power progresivly, the knocking does not occur, only under hard acceleration.

Any ideas anybody?

Ive got a problem aswell. I notice that when i go over a slight bump i feel a knocking noise coming from somewhere in the front. I also get clunking noises all the time when turning the wheel at a 30 degree angle and holding it there whilst driving. anyone know what this is?

Jap Shed
ev
Ive got a problem aswell. I notice that when i go over a slight bump i feel a knocking noise coming from somewhere in the front. I also get clunking noises all the time when turning the wheel at a 30 degree angle and holding it there whilst driving. anyone know what this is?

This is EXACTLY what i have!!!

i believe that using the washes mate and getting the wheel bearing changed will do the trick. Someone mentioned a CV joint? Where is that?