ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which DCi Steering Rack (for losing 172 PAS)??

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Hi folks!

As above, can anyone confirm exactly which rack to use when removing the hydraulic PAS system from a 172 (mine is a ph1)??

I have searched it, I know Mike @ Rentech and MarkCup both use this set-up, but both have posted that they are unsure exactly which rack it is!

Any help would be much appreciated... :eek:

Cheers, Baggers.

172 Race Car
oh yea? changed our mind have we?

electric coloum DCI one iirc

might aswell get a volvo alternator and bracket now then, i picked another one up the other day for a good price

oh yea? changed our mind have we?

electric coloum DCI one iirc

might aswell get a volvo alternator and bracket now then, i picked another one up the other day for a good price

Lol - I didn't intend to bin the PAS, but as keeping it means investing in a Cup PAS pump & pipes, I'd rather buy a non-PAS rack and go HARDCORE! :cool:

Does it matter which DCi model? And what year?

I sourced a Cup Alternator and Brackets (nowhere as near as cheap as your Volvo set-up Mr Burp :hail:) but will work well nonetheless...

RS RIP
DSCF0647-1.jpg

Will not help much maybe , but its supposed to look like this..
Got a pic from mike rentech.

RS RIP
nope.. can't be bothered without knowing the correct one before starting on it.. i've been to the scrappies and they showed me a rack which lookes nothing like the above.

if i'm able to find out the correct one then i would like to do the job while my car is in for the 182 manifold-cambelt-cams + clutch change next week. Would be the most easy to do then while were at it.

if not in these two weeks then it wo'nt happen at all for me, too bad

BMW M135i
I would imagine that any rack from an electric power steered clio should work as the motor is on the column. Don't know if there are any other specifics that vary to take into account ie steering ratio etc to choose the best one.

RS RIP
I would imagine that any rack from an electric power steered clio should work as the motor is on the column. Don't know if there are any other specifics that vary to take into account ie steering ratio etc to choose the best one.

yes , but when Mike (Rentech) mailed me he said it was one from a dci.

"You need a 6pk 850 belt and the steering rack is from a clio DCI "

This narrows down our search i'm guessing.

Update! (Good news!):

Wise-Kev ('Birchdown' on here) at Birchdown has sorted this for me...

He has sourced the right DCi rack, confirmed by the pic kindly supplied by Mike at Rentech to Franx to me (thanks guys!). It has arrived and already been fitted!

Feedback is that it is nice and 'short' from lock to lock - which sounds ideal...

Sorry I don't know the make and part number (PM Birchdown and Wise-Kev will confirm) but I do know it was only £57 + VAT on an exchange basis from Birchdown's friendly parts supplier (who is welcome to my accident-damaged slightly bent 95k miles 172 rack!)...

Happy days! :D

Thanks to all that chipped in with advice and suggestions! :star:

Track BEAST
i have a gr8 idea if you want to make ya car quicker round the track you should rest ya b****cks in a growbag over night!!!!! or buy a proper engine.

i have a gr8 idea if you want to make ya car quicker round the track you should rest ya b****cks in a growbag over night!!!!! or buy a proper engine.

:S

What kind of engine do you recommend Miss Gooch?

WTF is your 'Track Beast'??

RS RIP
Having weighed in my 197 , i,ve invested in a rather tasty jap beast. Just cant stop filling it up wit vpower and driving it hard.

Off you go then ! to the tasty Jap car forum ! :clown: bye bye

back to the topic ; Baggers how does the rack work out for you after driving around with it for a while now ?

Last edited:
  Track BEAST
now now dont be tooooo harsh Mr "FRANX", i still own a rapid clio and a half share in a magane turbo. The point i was trying to make is that you just can't match the performance of a rwd for fun and learning just how to drive like the stig!!!!! Ya pal baggers has got the right idea though, remover the pas and start to get a real feel wots goin on, Respect to track KEV

Track BEAST
Ya respect bruv

Dya get mehhhh?
f**k you pal i tried too be nice you c**t!!!
I have seen wot you load of car polishing t***s r like, u cudnt drive home from the shop without gettin the wax out. Ya c**k's for polishing and ya cars r for driving, get with the script fag. hope santa's reindeer dont s**t on ya car bruv "Dya get mahhhh". now f**k off and enjoy ya 10bhp handjob.:slap:

I have seen wot you load of car polishing tw*ts r like, u cudnt drive home from the shop without gettin the wax out. Ya c**k's for polishing and ya cars r for driving, get with the script fag. hope santa's reindeer dont s**t on ya car bruv "Dya get mahhhh". now f**k off and enjoy ya 10bhp handjob.:slap:

Won't you come sit on my knee squire? :p

XxX

M

mini-valver

I have seen wot you load of car polishing tw*ts r like, u cudnt drive home from the shop without gettin the wax out. Ya c**k's for polishing and ya cars r for driving, get with the script fag. hope santa's reindeer dont s**t on ya car bruv "Dya get mahhhh". now f**k off and enjoy ya 10bhp handjob.:slap:

I'd love to see you stack it into the armco in a "watch this" moment.

RS RIP
Goochy goochy goochy .. the fwd Clio leaves a LOT of high power rwd cars behind on track, simply because it corners better. Even when fillin it up wit V-powa ya no ?

Track BEAST
Goochy goochy goochy .. the fwd Clio leaves a LOT of high power rwd cars behind on track, simply because it corners better. Even when fillin it up wit V-powa ya no ?

Granted some rear wheel drive cars can be seen off by the nimble front wheelers, especially in the wet. But not track prepared stripped out nissan skylines my friend , they r simply in another league. But i am hoping to convert an old fiesta to rear or maybe even 4wd for some added fun, so that should make a good nemisis for the fwd crew c u on track soon. Hopefully i will be in the armco to give your learned friend somthing to talk about.:rasp: