ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which M4/3 lens to go for?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm new to Micro 4/3s and have got a GX1 with the X 14-42 lens.

I want to pickup a fast prime and am pretty set on the 20mm.

My problem is I don't really have a style of shooting, or specific things I shoot, to make the choice easy/obvious!

I guess it'd be nice to use it for general shots, slapping on the camera and going walkies when on holiday etc.

Off to Washington DC with a quick stop in NY in a couple of weeks so would be nice to have something good for them.

So was all set on the 20mm but then started thinking would the 45mm 1.8 be better with it's 'extended' reach, or will that be too limiting?

Coming from just a point and shoot the one thing that is definitely different and hard to get used to is not being able to just see something far in the distance and just zoom right in to snap :p

You've got plenty of choice of quality lenses, with the 2x crop factor I would find 45 (90) too limiting. 20 mm gives you a 40 mm focal length which.should enable more general types of shots.

I picked up the 14mm f2.5 for £100 on the MU43 forum (they quite often come up for sale pretty cheap), and just use that and the 45mm 1.8 for 99% of my photos. I shot New York with those two (forgot to pack the 20mm 1.7, but I didn't miss it, infact you may find one for sale on here later this afternoon ;)).

If I had to own one it would be the 20mm, but saying that the 45mm is an absolute peach and I would struggle without it.