ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whistle/chirping noise when i put my foot down?

Hello

I have an 04 182 (done 34k) and since I have had it for about a year when I put my foot down and accelerate hard (regardless of gear) there has always been a slight whoosh/whistle sound, I have assumed this is normal as it also sounded quite cool

However recently the sound has changed a bit, its become slightly more rasping/with a bit of a chirp, it can be quite irritating and doesnt sound as 'normal'. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be and if it is normal.

It seems to be coming from under the bonnet, possibly on the passengers side

BTW the car is completely standard

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Think its the passenger mirror. Do a search as I'm not certain of the fix...just aware of the problem.

Clown Car
You get a whistling noise from the door mirrors, Renault claimed it is caused by there being no temp sensor in the O/S door mirror housing just a hole, but my brothers 182 has a 'dummy' sensor fitted into the O/S mirror housing and he still gets a whistle.

Some people get a whistle noise from the top of there windscreen at higher speeds;)

There is also a whistle noise from the exhaust when accelerating, if it is this noise that has got worse, i would check the exhaust first.

Has your aux belt/tensioner/idler been changed yet?.

Hello thanks for the info so far - i am not convinced it is the mirror as it does sound like it is under the bonnet - however no my aux belt hasnt been changed yet, I am still to do the 36k service, when the engine starts from cold sometimes there is usually a whining sound for a while (I have been told this is to do with the tensioning of the aux belt or something?) is it possible this could be the cause although the whining from cold, and the whistly/raspy sound on acceleration seem to be completely different sounding

I do also get whistling from my windscreen also but Ive assumed thats "normal" for a clio :)

Clown Car
I think i would get the exhaust looked at and then think about getting the aux belt/pulley idler/tensioner done asap, the rasping noise under acceleration/higher revs *could* be the aux belt idler pulley, when they fail they can sometimes take out the cam belt.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It not the mirror. Mines does this and always has. I thought it was the airbox set up, but still does it with the Maxogen filter i have?. Not sure, its deffo engine indctioncbased, as the mirror would still whistle at speed with the clutch depressed.(it doesn't) My 172 cup didn't do it. Think its a 182 quirk imo.

FordFocus
Sorry to drag this one back up, but my car does this also, another 182.

And its definately something engine wise, as it happens in any gear, but only when you put your foot down. Its been into Renauly twice for it and they cant seem to find what it is. They originally thought it was the air intake but after having it in for 2 days they came to the conclusion its not that.

Only seems to happen above about 3500rpm, but the noise will be there all the way to the red line, and it instantly stops if i come off the accelerator and then will start again instantly if i put my foot back down. So only occurs under load, as i can hold the revs at say 5000rpm and its not there as soon as im back on the loud pedal the noise returns

Car goes in next week for something else so ill get them to take a look at the aux belt someone else has mentioned.

Cheers

Mines makes a faint whistling sound from about 5750rpm up to the limiter or when I let off, in every gear. I just presumed it was to do with the induction, as it got slightly louder when I fitted an ITG panel filter.