ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White Trackday 172 Project *Contains Awesome*

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
There was some on ebay last time I looked.

Thanks for the pics, I will get working on something for mine.

No probs, all i did was Gripfill the carbon to the plastic and let it go off for at least 24hrs. So far so good!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Just read through whole thread after Giraffe posted link. Wow, absolute top drawer mate! Looking at when you bought and where it is now is immense, hat off to you!!!

Keep hold and stop these Cup thoughts, really would be a backward step mate after all time and hardwork. Good place in Leeds, RS tuning I think its called!!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just read through whole thread after Giraffe posted link. Wow, absolute top drawer mate! Looking at when you bought and where it is now is immense, hat off to you!!!

Keep hold and stop these Cup thoughts, really would be a backward step mate after all time and hardwork. Good place in Leeds, RS tuning I think its called!!!

Cheers, i guess a backward step in performance and outright spec regarding buying a 'Cup' obviously more practical though

I've not really done much lately, last week i bought a second set of OZ F1 wheels which are silver. Hopefully after a wash they'll look ok, something different to black wheels and at least i'll be able to se what they actually are!

I'm just getting the Clio mechanically ready for the Nurburgring weekender in October. The erratic idling issues are really getting on my nerves now and hopefully this weekend the throttle body and ICV will be taken apart and cleaned properly. Out of interest what grease/lubricant will i need to get the throttle spindle working properly? I'll also have the new throttle cable fitted too, other than that there's no real issues with the ol girl.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Care to elaborate on the erratic idle issue Ricardos???

For the throttle body, I used silicone spray on mine, as it doesn't dry up like wd40 etc... it seemed to keep my TB free for AGES before I needed to reapply (6months minimum).

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Care to elaborate on the erratic idle issue Ricardos???

For the throttle body, I used silicone spray on mine, as it doesn't dry up like wd40 etc... it seemed to keep my TB free for AGES before I needed to reapply (6months minimum).

When its cold and i fire it up its fine, within 5-10 mins and i say get to a T junction or roundabout to stop the revs decide whatever it wants to do, 1250,1500 or sometimes 2000rpm so i have to blip the throttle. At no time will it ever go back down to normal idle revs. When i was stuck in traffic i had to constantly blip the throttle to get the revs down to a 'reasonable' rpm between stopping and pulling away all the time.

Rob did you take the TB completely apart to clean?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I thought i'd trial fit the silver 172 wheels on today to get an idea of look..... Nope, not liking them so i'm gonna sell them or part ex for another set of 15" rims

WP_000759.jpg

WP_000760.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ok, so last night i popped down to my friends workshop to do a couple of jobs on the Clio. The main job was to raise front and rear suspension, it looked good for lows but the drive shaft was bottoming out so we raised it about 30ish millimetres at the front and i'd say about 15-20mm at the rear. The toe out was re done so it now has 5mm of toe out with 2.5 degrees negative.

6177064787_c527d9636c_z.jpg

WP_000764 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

6177064847_d0cb929d20_z.jpg

WP_000766 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

The new throttle cable was also fitted and the ICV had at least half a can of brake/clutch cleaner blown through along with WD40. It lasted 3 minutes! so i'll turn my attention to the throttle body or purchase a new ICV

This morning the donor car was finally picked up and towed away, i've had it 3 years and it served me well in that time on the road and for parts. It will live again and be back on the road for 2012 which i'm glad about. I think i would have been more upset breaking it to pieces after taking what i needed from it so i'm glad a friend who played a massive part of the project has it now.

When i first bought it back in July 2008
12072008440.jpg

How it looked before donating started
DSC03411.jpg

DSC03442.jpg

CNV00022.jpg

This morning
6177592936_cfc0896cae_z.jpg

WP_000767 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

6177593040_d5caba6f7e_z.jpg

DSC04223 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

6177593156_393d80caaf_z.jpg

DSC04224 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

6177593294_84c8ef5964_z.jpg

DSC04225 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

It's gone
6177065439_d082a9c149_z.jpg

DSC04226 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

I miss it in some ways but the heart lives on in the white Clio, so next weekend is Nurburgring

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Nothing major but this week, just checking everything on the Clio before the Nurburgring trip this weekend.I bought a scissor jack from Arctic 182 as the Clio 172 jack broke on the plastic bit where the handle hooks in. The Clio is too low for a trolley jack and would rather take a scissor jack as it's more compact and lighter in weight. New windcreen wiper blades and new numberplate bulb fitted, only small things but they have to be done.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Forget the 'Ring, the Renault jack is know as the widowmaker for a very good reason.

Be careful ;)

It has to be better than the ropey 172 jack i had :D i'm hoping not to use it! Gonna have the front wheels balanced again on Friday, have all the wheel nuts torqued too. Need to find a decent priced european breakdown cover for the 3 days.

I'll decide what i'm doing with it when i get back

Clio.
Yep, 'old 1-7-blu' is going to hit the roads soon, and is looking very comfy in the code red workshop.
Have fun at the 'ring' Ricardo, 'whitey' certainly goes well enough.....;)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Yep, 'old 1-7-blu' is going to hit the roads soon, and is looking very comfy in the code red workshop.
Have fun at the 'ring' Ricardo, 'whitey' certainly goes well enough.....;)

I think it does, it has all the right ingredients.... And Code Red on hand :cool:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ok, so the white Clio has taken a step back. It's not been driven for over 3 weeks now as i'm using the Clio 172 Cup, the problem i'm having is condensation and moisture inside the car. The weekend just gone i had to use the chamois leather on the inside of the roof as it was saturated, there's no heating device fitted so after using the leather i cracked the front windows and put a Dimplex heater fan in the back and let it blow through the hole of the car for over an hour to dry it out. I then left the windows open to let fresh air circulate.

I was wondering what other people with trackday only Clios do over the cold winter months, the last thing i need is mouldy seats, steering, dash, harnesses etc. It's not garaged and sits out on the driveway at the moment, i was toying with the idea of removing the seats, harnesses and steering wheel and put them in the loft and cover them.

Do i carry on the procedure of running heat in the shell every week?

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
This car is so awesome! Would a car cover make a difference? Would maybe insulate it a bit.

Rich, there is a really good winter storage guide on the S2000 UK forum, I'll see if I can dig it out. Not sure if it was for inside or outside but basically a breathable but waterproof cover if possible and leave the windows cracked all the time I think.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/247621-winter-storage-tips/

Edit, it's American and not sure how relevant to outdoor storage it is. May be worth a read though...

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Clear the garage and stick it in there. Not much else you can do... simple condensation I guess. Dan's old Ph1 used to do it and only the rear end was stripped...! Was bloody annoying. Sod having nothing in there...!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I guess i'll just have to check it regularly, get some heat in it with the fan heater. Mould is my main concern, it's not going to be used for months..