ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who makes a phone out of glass!?

Inferno 182 CUP
I mean ccome on ffs.

Mums wedding next week - mrs just given birth and dress doesn't fit :mad:

All day shopping and baby screaming. I dropped my 4S and the back is shattered!!

£10 eBay replacement any good?

Inferno 182 CUP
D) it was an accident

I was tired and occupied.

Apple charge £200 so just curious if an bay replacement would be okay!

Now Sold :-(
Replacement back off the bay is fine.
Two screws out either side of the dock connector and slide up.
Will take you less than 30 seconds to replace it.
Just don't smash the front. Whole different ball game.

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
It's made from glass because it makes for the most responsive touchscreen, As for the back, it makes the look of the phone alot nicer, beats having a chunk of plastic and is resistant to scratches, i remember always having to replace cases on my old phones due to scratches on the screen.

320d
I tired a case on mine. Just made it feel big and cumbersome to me. Didn't like it. Was an official apple one too.

An orange one
I roll with my iPhone 4 totally naked, no screen protectors or case, almost 2 years later it's still 97% as new!

They are brilliantly durable, I'm a farmer too so it gets used outdoors every day,

Rav4
D) it was an accident

I was tired and occupied.

Apple charge £200 so just curious if an bay replacement would be okay!

£139, and it's a replacement phone.

If you sweet talk them, and it's within warranty, you might get it for free.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
Get genuine if you can, the flash diffuser on the cheap Chinese ones doesn't work properly

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's more ironic and funny that Danny the apple "guru" and lover has fallen foul to an age old problem with phones... drop them and they will break.

Cupra
I found a new option today, buy a cheap flight to Amsterdam and get the back replaced for €30 in the Apple store Amsterdam.
How the prices can be so different in the UK and NL is a bit odd though.

I gave up one the back after breaking one, and ended up with one of these metal backs and a bumper case, been fine since *touch wood*

iphone_4_metal_back_1.jpg

Perfect fit, although I've got a darker grey/ gunmetal as have a white 4S, so like the contrast.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
£139 for a whole replacement, however, if it's just the rear panel, it's only £25. Sweet-talking wont get you anything for free anymore if it's accidental damage. I would strongly recommend not replacing the rear panel with an eBay prt, this will void your warranty and we can tell if it's a genuine part or not.

Inferno 182 CUP
£139 for a whole replacement, however, if it's just the rear panel, it's only £25. Sweet-talking wont get you anything for free anymore if it's accidental damage. I would strongly recommend not replacing the rear panel with an eBay prt, this will void your warranty and we can tell if it's a genuine part or not.

Really?! - My phone is faulty atm anyway and being a b*****d so it needs an applecare swap out but im not inclined to come and pay £25 a new back only to have it swapped anyway.

Some of the ebay ones for £25 are supposedly genuine.

I've kept my original, smashed back, which is case of any warranty issue I'll simply stick back on, sorted :p

Clio 172
You can take the back off without voiding warranty can't you? It's only if you take a certain part off it voids the warranty (the battery IIRC) although this is what I saw on an eBay vid so could be completely wrong

Nope, you open it and it's void.

How you can tell if a phone has been opened or not? I understand if your a spastic and round off the screws, but if not and orignal cover is replaced, nobody will know, I got a 3gs, and 4 repaired after swaping back case, and just sticking original back on for warranty.

Bus w**ker
If you get away with it then its all good, but if they spot something and check it out then you're s**t out of luck. That's the risk you take.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
If you get away with it then its all good, but if they spot something and check it out then you're s**t out of luck. That's the risk you take.

^This.

Apple use 5 spoke "pentalobe" screws on later iPhone 4's & 4S's to prevent tampering, this was all good until people started making the screwdrivers for them. If there is evidence of tampering, the Genius will refuse service, and make notes on the database they use so whenever the serial number is entered at any later date, it will flag up saying not to repair the handset. Kind of like blacklisting a phone.

Ive seen it many times, there's a few tell-tale signs of non-Apple parts, and when a phone has been opened up. If you know what to look for, then it's pretty obvious.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I've dropped and smashed my rear (ooh er!!) twice and both times I've got a replacement back case from eBay. Paid £7 and that includes the small screwdriver for the 2 screws. Mines a perfect fit and looks identical to the original. I've also got a scratch on the front but after looking at this thread I'm not paying that much to have it replaced :(