ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whos had 172 Problems

Thought i would start a topic for once.. Please add your comments if your 172, cup or V6 has developed a fault?

Please post model and year of car, thx :)

My 2001 MK1 172 has so far had the following occur and only just covered 18k miles:

* New Brake pads & Disks

* New Aux.Belt Tensioner Bearing (Getting done as we speak:()

* New Alternator (Due to damage from above:cry:)

* Exhaust rattles at 2500rpm and 4000rpm

* Large knocking on hard acceleration (Engine mount me thinks)

* Passanger seat rattles and squeeks

* "Stop" light and "airbag" light lit up randomly (Faulty wiring)

* Alarm going off all the time

S2000

To be honest mate if Renault really cared about these faults they would have fixed them between each generation of the 172. For instance the exhaust rattle, the rattling passenger seat and the airbag light fault would have been addressed! They didnt bother their arses!

Lee

BMW M2C

Within the first two weeks of owning the car it went back for the following:

External temperature sensor didnt work

New runners for the passanger seat to fix the rattle.

Other than various rattles, its been okay so far. Although I can help thinking I can hear a faint rattle from the exhaust. Probably just my imagination.

03 172.

Elise/VX220/R26

Ours is going in for:

Badly fitted interior trim on drivers side (A Minor point I know but feck me its supposed to be a top of the range car!)

Spare key does not opearate the remote central locking (no battery?)

Rattle coming from passanger airbag area

hey guys,

noticed a lot of you have got rattles/noise from the passenger seat/airbag area. I have just had a MKII 172 for about 2 months and just before 90mph I get a buzzing sound coming from what I think is the passenger door speaker. It goes away when you go over 90 but is bloody annoying! Ive had the speaker cover off and nothing is lose.

Ive had the missus with her head down there (now theres a pun!) but shes no f**king use!

Anyone had similar problems and got any ideas.

cheers

try taking bits of the car start with the speaker cover then the speaker and carry on taking parts out.

as for the misses no idea try trading her in for a new model

Renault Laguna Coupe

Engine mount, temp sensor and exhaust are well documented. Its not like theyre the end of the world, and youve got to expect a few rattles. My Clio has been the best car Ive had so far for reliability, so I can put up with a few niggles.

If you really want to hit Renault where it hurts buy a BMW next time. Just see how much they charge for the same peformance though.......

GR7

Shiny red R32

The only problem I had was when the car was delivered with water in the spare wheel well, but it was soon resolved and not any other problems in the sixteen months and 4,100 miles of ownership.

Touch wood!

CTR EK9 turbo

My cars done 29,500 ish miles: mk.1 172 iceberg silver Y reg

* New Brake pads & Disks Had this, but not new disks - second set of pads are 90% warn.

* New Aux.Belt Tensioner Bearing (Getting done as we speak:() Not had this fingers crossed

* New Alternator (Due to damage from above:cry:) Nor this

* Exhaust rattles at 2500rpm and 4000rpm Had a couple of silencers replaced - i think the mid one was replaced twice

* Large knocking on hard acceleration (Engine mount me thinks) Everyone has this, engine mount underneath the battery needs new/tightening or something

* Passanger seat rattles and squeeks My drivers side seat squeaks when its fully in the lowest position - raise the seat up one notch, problem solved.

* "Stop" light and "airbag" light lit up randomly (Faulty wiring) Never had this fortunately

* Alarm going off all the time It just went off (again), gol dang it.

* Getting onto 3rd gear box now.

* 3 windscreens replaced

* 4 sets of tyres

* Idle sensor faulty - raising revs strange things happening

* Kept up with all CTR its come accross well over !00 mph(must be something very wrong with it then! ;))

BMW X5, Exige 260.

I have to say, at risk of sounding smug, that my Cup has been faultless and rattle-free, with no delivery niggles, excellent finish on paintwork and everything. Only done 2000 miles though so it is early days.

I had braced myself for the worst given Renaults rep.

Megane 225 baby! :)

Not had many problems with my X plate 172 (think the previous owner must have had them all :D) - only had to have the gear box changed as the synchro mesh had gone on 3rd gear!

Fingers crossed, touch wood - now wheres my lucky rabbits foot?

320d M Sport

Mk2 172

Famous 4K Rattle

Windscreen Rubber

Different colour glovebox ( !! )

S T O P light for no reason

Bang under wheelspin (Reno didnt want to know)

Headlamp Washers stopped workin

Small Oil Leak

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

had my 2002 mk2 172 for over 6 months now..

Had the aircon fixed under warranty (leaked the gas, 2 pipes replaced)

Bit of paint peeled under a wheel arch fixed under warranty

Knocking noise under hard acceleration, dealer couldnt fix (fixed it myself by fitting 2 toyo proxes to the front)

thats it though.. so im a happy chappie.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 10 May 2003

The only problem I had was when the car was delivered with water in the spare wheel well, but it was soon resolved and not any other problems in the sixteen months and 4,100 miles of ownership.

Oops! Forgot about the external temperature sensor which had to be replaced.

CTR EK9 turbo

windscreen rubber - oh yeah i forgot also - had mine blow off whilst racin a CTR!!! (we were going quite fast....)

I have got a 172 cup,

Faults that i have had are:

when accelerating hard 5500rpm+ there is a high pitch rattle coming from the n/s front of the engine compartment (any one else had this?)

Air bag / stop light (due to loose connection under passenger seat

Rattleing driver side window

Pulls to the left

Hazard lights switch had to be replaced

Heat regulator swtich had to be replaced

Im a bit worried about the engine noise though.

02 Mk2 172

Headlight washer jet leaking - fixed

Air bag light coming on for no reason - fixed

Cluncking when engaging in 1st gear - fixed, new gearbox fitted under warranty.

Exhaust rattling - new one getting fitted next week.

Still a mint car though :D

Heres my list

1 Sat Nav screen, 1 new exhaust system due to a blown cat, 3 drivers seat frames and runners, 2 rear windcreen wipers, headlight adjustment, numerous rattles, failure to start first time.

Put it this way everyone at my local dealerships service dept knows me very well, its going back this tuesday with a SERV airbag failure.

The service dept was giving me sh*t about I would have to pay for them to check that there was even a problem in the first place. I went and saw the guy who sold me the car and any extra costs are now picked up by the sales dept. I have had my car 1yr 2 months, Renault have had it over 1 month solid because of repairs.

Had the rattling seat been to Reno twice still not fixed -going in again this week!! Also front lower grill needs fitting properly as they didnt do it right from when i hit a pheasant..!! Now the car is not always starting onfirst turn of the key..!! AND now upon start up the drive belt skeaks very badly for 2-3 minutes waking half my road up..!! i think this also has something to do with the power steering as when on full lock it judders & squeeks... Friggin great the cars only done 2500 miles in 2 months..!! But i have not heard on here of anyone else having the drive belt noise problem?? Just me then?

Quote: Originally posted by Hit&Run on 11 May 2003

Heres my list

1 Sat Nav screen, 1 new exhaust system due to a blown cat, 3 drivers seat frames and runners, 2 rear windcreen wipers, headlight adjustment, numerous rattles, failure to start first time.

Put it this way everyone at my local dealerships service dept knows me very well, its going back this tuesday with a SERV airbag failure.

The service dept was giving me sh*t about I would have to pay for them to check that there was even a problem in the first place. I went and saw the guy who sold me the car and any extra costs are now picked up by the sales dept. I have had my car 1yr 2 months, Renault have had it over 1 month solid because of repairs.
Hit&Run, how long have you had the car?

Have you considered rejecting it? and asking for a new replacement (hopefully fault free)

rattle from behind drivers side heater air vent. Been into reno twice, still there. Worse when the car is cold

steering wheel 2 degrees to the right when the wheels are straight

rattle from passenger seat, goes away after somebody sits in it and comes back randomly

staring to get a knock when full lock engaged e.g. making u turn

car going to reno tomorrow

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Blocko on 12 May 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Hit&Run on 11 May 2003

Heres my list

Hit&Run, how long have you had the car?

Have you considered rejecting it? and asking for a new replacement (hopefully fault free)

;)

The high beam on my headlights and the rear window heater didnt work but its been fixed. Some rattles here and there but nothing I didnt expect, thats all.

I have a 2000 W reg done 30K

So far i have had

Very bad oil leak, £600 for repair.

Rattle from under car when comming down from high revs, found out this is the CAT. £350 to repair.

Also had wheel bearing go £120 to repair

Also get a loud knocking when on full lock going up carpark ramps. God knows how much to repair.

Internal Rattles have nor been to bad. Although the plastic catch on the engine that i think says 2.0 16v keeps disappearing. I have bough 2 of these but they just fall off.

The only other small complaint I have is that the passenger seat is to high. Im fed up with people telling me.

Leak under n/s rear seat (fixed under warranty)

o/s headlight filling up with water!!! (replaced under warranty)

Airbag light coming on (dodgy wiring under passenger seat)

Rattle in boot when open/close (fixed that one meself, bolt had come of back of lock/badge, other 2 were loose).

Bent o/s front jacking point when jacking up car with proper jack!!! (Bodged under warranty!!!)

Apart from the odd rattle here and there it been fine since 3k, im now getting onto 6k so hopefully its now ok!!!

Mk2 172

So far 2 months old:

Whole new exhaust system, new seat runners, rear seat cushion, cowling, and possibly now a whole new dashboard due to the monkey mechanic damaging it, although they tried to cover it up even though denying it. Other problems though, wont start first time, runs rough when cold and crunches in 4th.

Having said that after 4 days of sitting at the dealer none of the above actually got done and needs to go again. Since picking it up on Friday from dealer with 30 more miles on the clock and a lot less fuel it now has strange clunk when on full right steering lock.

In the middle of sorting it out with top service manager who was embarresed by what his monkeys had done with the dash by lying to me.

Quote: Originally posted by proaxis2 on 12 May 2003

Mk2 172

So far 2 months old:

Whole new exhaust system, new seat runners, rear seat cushion, cowling, and possibly now a whole new dashboard due to the monkey mechanic damaging it, although they tried to cover it up even though denying it. Other problems though, wont start first time, runs rough when cold and crunches in 4th.

Having said that after 4 days of sitting at the dealer none of the above actually got done and needs to go again. Since picking it up on Friday from dealer with 30 more miles on the clock and a lot less fuel it now has strange clunk when on full right steering lock.

In the middle of sorting it out with top service manager who was embarresed by what his monkeys had done with the dash by lying to me.
From past garage experiances (with Ford) i would advise anyone taking a car into the garage to request that the engineer inspect the car before hand. Including the interior, all the bodywork etc.

This way, if they damage the car in any way you can prove that they are reasponsible. And if they miss a little something on the inspection you can hold them to that aswell and get a free repair.

I always log the mileage on my car and fuel level when leaving it, you should query why they have driven it so far.

Well all i can say is SHOCKING!

My Mk2 172 (5 months old-5000mls) has most of the above problems. Why oh why cant a company cabable of building a car! (f**k off) fix rattling plastic and lose bits of metal. These faults have being there since day one, after 3 odd years Renault still cant fix em!

This is the last Renault ill ever own!

Have had my 172mk2 for 16 months now, 75.000 kms on the clock, and getting a bit pissed off with all the problems.

- The engine mount beneath the battery has been replaced 3 times.
- Mid-silencer has been replaced due to the 4k rpm rattle (rear-silencer has been replaced as well, because they ordered and mounted the wrong silencer)
- Headlight washers were fixed
- Airbag-light problem due to bad connection under passenger-seat was fixed.
- Cooling-water sensor was replaced last week.
- Since the replacing of that sensor, the engine was leaking oil so they are fixing that today.
- Also since yesterday the warning light of the exhaust-fumes (or whatever it is called) was on, so they are also looking into that.
- The exhaust was hanging loose, they are also fixing that.

But by far the most annoying problem so far is a problem I have with the limiter. Since a month or 2 sometimes unexpectedly the limiter comes in at 6k rpm, instead of the normaal 7/7,2k depending on the gear.
It scares the sh*t out of you when it happens so unexpectedly, and could prove to be quite dangerous would it happen while cornering on the limit.
But the car has been back to the dealer 2 times to fix the problem, and although in both cases the problem seemed to be gone for 1 or 2 days, it kept coming back.
Bit worried about it now, cause the last time the dealer checked everything they could, according to them (and replaced the temp-sensor). Not sure what to do now.

Nowhereman,

This limiter is normal at 6K RPM when the oil temp isnt up to normal (even though water temp is normal. Sometimes for me it can take 20-30 mins for the limiter to go to 7200 in winter or if im not driving hard even longer.

Maybe this is the cause?

When I think the oil is hot, then rag it, then the engine strangles itself at 6K, scares the crap outta me.. :)

good luck..

PS I dont want to start my list of problems.. I could be here all day...

Paul

Yeah, I know that the limiter comes in earlier at cold oil temperatures (according to Renault this is @ 6700rpm), but that is not the problem here. It even does it after/during long trips, even on the nurburgring...
And believe me, the oil certainly wasnt anywhere near being cold there :)