ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are the wipers the wrong way round?

tiTTy & SV650
originally designed as a LHD like all cars pretty much, just too lazy to change it around probably! or too costly to change, maybe something under the bonnet is right in the way.

AstraVan Sportive
Lots of french cars have it IIRC, wipes towards the driver that would be on the left

My Gfs 207cc has bus wipers so i wouldnt complain too much!!

tiTTy & SV650
no wander we pay more for cars when you think about it, must be a right pain in the ass for designers to have to design everything again as a mirror image lol - well actually as a designer that wouldn't be too difficult but fook you need two tools for so many parts, gonna add up!

Wipers were designed like that to keep costs down when the Clio 2 was designed. No need to fit right hand drive wipers when they can use a system that covers left and right hand drive cars. Also look above the rear windows, notice the plastic strips??? Another cost cutting idea from renault - they can use the same roof on the three door and five door clio.

Golf GTI 1.8T
most annoying thing to me is the wipers, have to keep washing the corner of the screen.:mad: and I don't think any of the other frenchies have it ie. citreon & pug.

tiTTy & SV650
JBarber said:
well they should learn to drive on the correct side of the road, then all cars could be RHD :)

once upon a time they did all drive on the left, apparently Napolean changed it to be awkward! lol French for you...:nono:

BMW 328 Ci
I thought he was left handed, but forced everyone else to do it. (ie carrying sword and sheild)

Black/Gold 182
the story I heard was that most people rode their horses on the left because they were right handed and it was something to do with either unsheathing or fighting with swords. Then Napolean changed it because he hated the English. Maybe all be bolax of course.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
JBarber said:
the story I heard was that most people rode their horses on the left because they were right handed and it was something to do with either unsheathing or fighting with swords. Then Napolean changed it because he hated the English. Maybe all be bolax of course.

Yes but No,

Napolean changed it because he was Left Handed, so he rode on the right side so he wasn't at a dissadvantage.

GW RS200
Klang1.6 said:
and why does it have that box on the bottom of them too?

If you mean that clear box on the windscreen glass, it contains no anti-glasre coating so that you can stick your satnav under it and it wont block signals...

S.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The box in the window is for the continent where you have a fixed disc/barcode and each time you pass through a toll gate it scans your car and you have a bill each month

ian

GOLF GT TDI
i dont mind about the wipers at least Clio r unique if they all do it :) do all the other renaults wipers do that to

JBarber said:
Probably! Except the Aussies, Japanese and Maltese.

The Maltese don't drive on the left or the right - they drive in the shade, lol. Of all the places I've been, Malta has some of the worst driving i've ever seen!

Personally I don't mind the wipers. In one way they're actually better this way round: all the crappy dirty water that's sweapt off the screen and usually trails down the driver's window now leaves streaks down the passenger side instead...

tiTTy & SV650
i think he meant the big triangular lump on the wiper, it's just to beef up the wiper linkage probably

rory182 said:
i think he meant the big triangular lump on the wiper, it's just to beef up the wiper linkage probably

Its like an elbow hinge, that throws the tip of the drivers wiper up towards the top corner so your view is a little better in rain. Its like a washing machine - quite hypnotic to watch if you are erm in the right mood

Last edited:
  MKIII 138
my wing mirror control is upside down lol in my last 172 they were the right way up, thought they were broken at first as i was looking at the wrong mirror thinkin why isnt this working ? hehe weird cars