ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why choose 172

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

Hes got a point! but only about the driver.. I think the CTR is a nice car but not for me! BUT if you were to call me a women to my face like you have just done to everybody else who drives clios i would launch my 6ft foot up your arse! so be polite please. Anyway You drive an old mans car, you probably cant even get it into 6th GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Mondeo STTDCI

ATEOTD its a matter of opinion.

I LOVE both the CTR and the 172. However I own a Clio and the build quality is awful. Im sure the CTRs have their problems but in say 5 years tim I know id wish Id gone for the Honda.

For me now its all about build quality and service from the dealers. Renault for me were sh*te, so next time Ill be going Honda probably. They may be as bad, or worse, but I cant stand Renault.

There is always a car competing with another, and always a choice to be made. Sometimes it comes down to looks, or that extra 5bhp performance, or handling, but the hot hatches we are talking about here are ALL high performance, good looking, well handling cars. There just isnt enough in it for a 172 or CTR owner to slate each others cars as what has been happening here. WIth this class of car, its usually a case of same meat - different gravy.

The dealer and quality or build will be large factors in me buying my next new car.

Lotus Elise S2 111S

Ah, so you took the bait. See point proved. And, if you read it properly, I said I thought the 172 looked femine not the driver.

And BTW, youd need another 4", Im 6ft 4.

I can see only you guys are entitled to an opinion on here, nice.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

Stumped!!!! :confused: even so i think what u said was rude! you didnt have to approach the subject quite like you did. So from my behalf i retract what i said, but dont even suggest that i am a girl coz i drive a clio, coz u will get it! i thinks thats fair!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 03 June 2003

why the 172? cos its the last of a dying breed my friend, its truly the pimp daddy beatch!

The last?

I always thought it was a first...the first of the new true hot hatches

Lotus Elise S2 111S

Get what? Dont make threats its sad.

I only made comments that were as fair as ones you made.

And you still arent reading the post properly: "I said I thought the 172 looked femine not the driver."

Anyway bored now.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

bored.. is that cause you drive a type-r (immature comment over now)

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions, and in my opinion the civic is an old mans car that looks like a bread van.. it really does.. it really looks sh*t in my opinion.. and that is why I went for a 172 cause it looks 100x better than the 172.

As for add on gadgets, I will keep my gadgets and still keep up with/overtake your CTR.. just imagine what the Cup can do to you.

yes the performance is there, but there is that little a difference it depends on driver, must of been embarrasing for my feminine 172 keeping up with and almost overtaking the guy in the CTR, edinburgh, yesterday.. you know who you were.

2012 WRX Waggon

Which Mag? voted the 172 best hot hatch, was it last year? cant remember.

against a lineup that included the CTR???

Oh, and if you want all the toys, u dont have to buy a Vectra - U can buy a 172, get to 60 a few 10ths slower, and have enough money left to have a decent holiday (or tune the Bo!!ocks off it :devilish:)

Anyway Im even more bored now ;)

2012 WRX Waggon

Oh before I go...I knew Id find it

THE Clio Renaultsport 172 has topped CAR Magazine’s massive group test to find the hottest hatchback car on the market, securing the title ‘Super Hatch of the Year’. The group test, in the October issue of CAR, was divided into two categories - Hot Hatch of the Year for cars under 160bhp, and Super Hatch of the Year for cars with over 170bhp. Some of the results were surprising, proving that there’s more to a hot or super hatch than having the most ‘horses’ under the bonnet.

The most elite hatches competed with the Clio Renaultsport 172 for the Super Hatch of the Year title including the 180bhp Seat Leon 20V T Cupra, 204bhp VW Golf V6 4 Motion, 215bhp Subaru Impreza WRX Sportwagon, 175bhp MG ZS 180, and 197bhp Honda Civic Type R. The best car was the one which offered the best combination of pace, price, handling and equipment, and the Renaultsport-tuned version of the latest Clio was the clear winner.
As CAR concluded: “You’re getting tons of standard-fit kit, up to and including full digital climate control. But most importantly, you’re getting the ability to cross country as fast as anything this side of a Mitsubishi Evo. With so much kit and so much pace, the Clio’s ends justify its means. It’s a genuine performance bargain.”
Evo magazine also puts Clio 172 on top
CAR is not the only magazine that thinks the Clio 172 is the best hot hatch around today. The November issue of Evo magazine puts the Clio Renaultsport up against the 170bhp VW Golf V5, as well as the 175bhp MG ZS 180 and the 197bhp Honda Civic Type R concluding that they “...prefer the renault because its ability is more easily accessed and exploited, and also because it looks and feels like a hot hatch should. Get it while you can”.

I rest my case;)

Elise/VX220/R26

I chose 172 simply because I couldnt afford a type r. Type Rs are very nice cars (even though the interiors crap compaired to the 172) they are fast and probably have more street cred than a 172 which is a bit more subtle (which I do like now I have one!)

I love the 172 to bits but you cant argue that the type r is in any way a sh*t car cos it aint. I wouldnt have one after the 172 but if you cant afford an impretza but want a "bigger" car the type r is the one to have.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 04 June 2003

I chose 172 simply because I couldnt afford a type r. Type Rs are very nice cars (even though the interiors crap compaired to the 172) they are fast and probably have more street cred than a 172 which is a bit more subtle (which I do like now I have one!)

I love the 172 to bits but you cant argue that the type r is in any way a sh*t car cos it aint. I wouldnt have one after the 172 but if you cant afford an impretza but want a "bigger" car the type r is the one to have.
True, the CTR is a cracking car, just no better than a Cup performance wise, thats all .