ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why use a rear ARB on ph2?

Clio 172 Cup
I'm not doubting that people are getting good results with this setup. However, can someone explain why you would put an additional trailing arm-link when the existing trailing arm setup has a bloody big steel beam linking the two arms?

clio-rear-suspension.jpg

Would it be worthwhile just welding something the existing trailing are link beam to increase the torsional stiffness?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't see anything in the search

Cheers

Andy

172 ph1
The reason people do not weld something in the existing beam is because there's no way of knowing (without making a large amount of calculations) how much stiffer the beam will get. If you go too far and it becomes too stiff then you have a problem.

Also, different people prefer their cars to feel different. With the adjustable rear anti roll bar you can have more or less understeer depending on which mounting hole you choose.

Clio 172 Cup
The reason people do not weld something in the existing beam is because there's no way of knowing (without making a large amount of calculations) how much stiffer the beam will get. If you go too far and it becomes too stiff then you have a problem.

Also, different people prefer their cars to feel different. With the adjustable rear anti roll bar you can have more or less understeer depending on which mounting hole you choose.

Makes sense to have the adjustability; although I'm sure 80% of the people just have them set on the softest settings.

172 ph1
Makes sense to have the adjustability; although I'm sure 80% of the people just have them set on the softest settings.
Perhaps. Personally I use 2nd softest at the Ring but harder at other tracks where there's more run off.