ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why would you buy a cup over a full fat 172?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  6/468 17poo
Really thinking about getting either:
mk 1 172
mk 2 172
mk 2 172 cup

But was wondering why people have opted for cups over a full fat?is it just beacuse of the rawness of the cup?i no the cup is lighter, does it handle loads better than the full phat?

i love the colour and turinis on the cup thats whats swinging my decision!

also do 15's fit the mk2?presume there same as the mk1 as my idea of getting a mk1 172 was to put it on my superlegs and coilover it............

opinions please, sorry for the long post lol

M2 Competition
Love my cup. On a dry day, on a b-road blast its ace. Much rawer driving experience than a full fat.

Yes, 15's will fit, but id stick with the standard 16's mate, and coilover it on those, will sit very low on 15's.

Chocolate Bar™
really depends what your looking for. i wanted the rawness of the cup, but cant afford the insurance on one, so opted for the mk1 172 as it was cheaper so i could do a bit more to it. also wanted 15's and preferred the cable throttle / front end. also doesnt suffer from the crap auto headlights and auto wipers (which annoyed me soo much it was unreal)

182BG
all comes down to what you want, i chose the cup because at the time it was cheaper on the insurance than the FF, dunno why.
plus i wasn't bothered with the half leather but missed the air con

so now i got the 182 cup, which has air con and no half leather so im happy :)

Turbos.
Mk1 has a terrible interior though...

I'd get a Cup, i don't really need air con but it would be a shame to do without ABS and xenons. Ultimately they are the best looking and quickest variant, which would sway me.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I would'nt even consider anything apart from a RS-1 or 172 Cup if I was getting a mk2.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I wish i'd bought a cup now. Xenon's and recaro's + 2020 speedlines! They also are the best colour.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ph1 have a ming dash and blue interior, but still love it, it depends what ypou want it for i guess

306 TD Slut
i can live without leather.. and annoying blue lights that flicker everywhere, and AC in our hot climate tehe

Z4 Roadster
personally I went for the cup, as I love the colour and the wheels. Also, having come from a vx220, i wanted something fairly raw, so the cup fits the bill nicely.

the lack of ABS was a small concern, but as long as you're fairly sensible, it's not a problem. :)

Ph1 interior is gash, the dashboard is especially horrible, however I do enjoy it, not as raw or fun as a Williams, but feels better put together and compared to newer Mk2's looks far less ghey imo. The Ph2 is the worst of all the RS's imo, looks pants and due to the weight it's always like your carrying a fat fucker around in the passenger seat.

Mk2 Ph1 or Cup are the only considerations you should be making imo, but depends what you want out the car... as standard none are fast or raw enough for me personally, so I'd buy the cheapest and throw a few grand in mods at it.

Id buy the Cup last over all the Sports.

Its no quicker in day-to-day situations.

Why have poverty spec for no real gain?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I like having comfy seats, and air con.

I'm not deluded enough to think that a Clio is the fastest/best thing since sliced bread like others on here ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ph1 interior is gash, the dashboard is especially horrible, however I do enjoy it, not as raw or fun as a Williams, but feels better put together and compared to newer Mk2's looks far less ghey imo. The Ph2 is the worst of all the RS's imo, looks pants and due to the weight it's always like your carrying a fat f**ker around in the passenger seat.

Mk2 Ph1 or Cup are the only considerations you should be making imo, but depends what you want out the car... as standard none are fast or raw enough for me personally, so I'd buy the cheapest and throw a few grand in mods at it.

Thats why your car has a ph2 rear bumper and side strips...Regardless of you not putting them on!

No renault is well built.

I like all the clio's now. From the valver-willy, to ph1 172 and ph2. Vee inc

Banana
I always wanted a cup, based on the positive press it was getting in papers and magazines. As soon as I found out production had stopped, I ran straight out and got one of the last ones, didnt even have a test drive! I've never regretted it. Dont need air con, my last car didnt have abs either so it wasnt a problem, and I've took the cup interior out and shoved in buckets. So I now have my perfect car :)

Broken Diesel Megane :(
cup all the way. tbh nothing between them really. jus if you want leather seats etc then get the ff. performance is same except you dont have abs and traction control, but then the ff comes wi an off button for that anyway ;)

but the cup does look miles better imo

Ali, shows how little you know, it's got standard ph1 rear on it, the side strips are ph2, but that's it and like you said they were already done. Had they not been I'd have not bothered with them personally, only really wants colour coding and lowering as standard and they look much better.

I prefer the front of the Ph-1 by miles (you can tell its a 172 from miles away!) but then again i do own one.

I can see the benefits of both, its just down to what you want out of it, i wanted air con etc! plus i dont see many on the roads.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Go for ph-1 for the price, insurance costs and speed if your not to worried about interior.

If I had the choice again I would go for a FF 182.

The spec was the second reason why I got the FF 172, Xenons, Climate, leather and knowing you have ESP, ABS and traction control, it helps in the winter alot.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ali, shows how little you know, it's got standard ph1 rear on it, the side strips are ph2, but that's it and like you said they were already done. Had they not been I'd have not bothered with them personally, only really wants colour coding and lowering as standard and they look much better.

Meh! your car doesn't really interest me!

Everythings a matter of opinion...Some people like penis shinking yellow, others like bucket seats and harnesses. If everyone was the same it would be immensely boring.

There is no adv once rolling between the cup and 172. look at that vid between yours and chris's...You only catch at 100!!

Plenty of nice ph1's out there infact stoddie's and chris's and Day's are all good examples.

lol, clearly, yet you seem to follow it round the forum like a dog on heat with your merry band of f**kwits and think you know it's history and what it's up to now :rolleyes:

what do mine and Chris' car have anything to do with a stock 172 and 172 Cup? either way, it did well 25bhp @ the wheels down, would like to see the difference now it's making 40lbs/ft @ the wheels more at 2'500rpm, sure it will be tested again soon, Oulton park convoy beckons :rasp:

well Ali and his little bum chums seem to have this chip on their shoulder about it. I think they are hoping it will blow up so they look less like a bunch of nut hugging c**k suckers... so yeah, how it gives any insight into the question at hand I have no idea, just shows the level of desperation he's willing to drown himself in.

Polo GTi
well Ali and his little bum chums seem to have this chip on their shoulder about it. I think they are hoping it will blow up so they look less like a bunch of nut hugging c**k suckers... so yeah, how it gives any insight into the question at hand I have no idea, just shows the level of desperation he's willing to drown himself in.

haha :lolup:

6/468 17poo
bloody hell cheers for the response, and the abuse lol

well im still looking at the mo, i think the CUP is gettin the stronger vote as the 172FF seems to be well common, i hardly ever see phase 1's or cups!

not too fussed about air con as it gives me a s**t throat, same with climate control!well cheers lads given me something to think about!

Leon Cupra 300
I've found out today that come service time NOT having air con saves you an absolute fortune! one of the reasons why i went for a cup and now its paying :D Its something to think about.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
bloody hell cheers for the response, and the abuse lol

well im still looking at the mo, i think the CUP is gettin the stronger vote as the 172FF seems to be well common, i hardly ever see phase 1's or cups!

not too fussed about air con as it gives me a s**t throat, same with climate control!well cheers lads given me something to think about!

look the best too ;)
cup1206023-1.jpg

cup1206008.jpg

also 172 cup has 171bhp/ton :cool: ....... 172 has 154bhp/ton :eek:

cups make more power (r/r) due to less power sapping aircon etc, and make the best times up the 1/4 mile

Impreza P1
Had my Cup for just over a year now , my Girlfriend uses it all the time never had any problems. We would have had a FF but the Cup was just there at the time for a good price matey.

It hasn't bored me yet but then again I've just finished building an R5 so i guess as soon as i drive that It'll be a different experience completely

6/468 17poo
Gaz, i think you just swung it lol!!
how much difference is ABS and Traction Control?

im coming from a raw 1.4 rt lol!that hasnt got any gay aids i no its a 1.4, so if i dont no now ill never no lol!

2 more questions:
-does the cup sit lower?
-does it handle better?

Ryan

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
handle better, yes. Less 'soft' more focused

lower, 3mm lol. They have a stiffer spring rate for the impoved handling. traction, w**k...... abs.... meh

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
handle better, yes. Less 'soft' more focused

lower, 3mm lol. They have a stiffer spring rate for the impoved handling. traction, w**k...... abs.... meh

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
w**k forum lol

seriously if you've never had the driver 'aids' you wont miss them

6/468 17poo
aaaah yeah same springs as a willy isnt it!think ill have to have a go in one at a few garages see what i prefer, ive got the original brouchures sittin here and been lookin at them to try to work out the difference.

i suppose there is less to go wrong isnt there!!!colour is easily the best!

BMW M3
lol gav, thats not exactly std suspension, hence why it looks sweat.

Come on, we all know there is feck all between them in real world driving. Only difference is the alloys and interia.

Renault
Clio Sport 172 mk1
Renault
Clio Sport 172 mk2
Renault
Clio Sport 182
Renault
Clio Sport Cup
Renault
Clio Sport 182 Cup
Renault
Clio Sport 182 Trophy