ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why you should use a decent wheel sealant

Golf GT & A4 Avant
People are often asking which is the best wheel sealant, how to remove grime and baked on brake dust. The common answer is to use a nano / ceramic / quartz wheel sealant instead of the many cr@ppy items on the market. This way cleaning is effortless. No harsh chemicals needed.

But the majority claim its a false economy and too expensive when their pot of rimmers special wax is a fraction of the price and you'll get many more applications from it. RUBBISH. Do it once, do it properly.

came home tonight with a nail through the tyre, so swapped it with the spare and took the opportunity it give it a quick clean. Please remember that GTechniq C5 wheel sealant was applied to this wheel November 2011. Car is washed fortnightly with nothing more than citrus power and lather shampoo. Nothing more has ever been used on the wheels.

Wheel was rinsed, sprayed with citrus power left to dwell a few minutes, the agitated with a small brush. Other than a few minor tar spots, it came up almost like it had just been applied. So that's 15 months of performance.

What are you going to spend your money on? A little phone pic attached just to prove a point

View attachment 92641

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
There's always one! Thread follows a dig at a friend who uses local car washes that tarnished his wheels

What can i say, in 6months itll be a family car for real. I didnt get a lot of choice in choosing the wife's car, other than blue over silver

Audi A5
Very interesting, I'm looking to get something like this as I wash car usually once a week and ever time the alloys are caked in grit and brake dust, it's like their magnets to debri lol.

is their any cheaper alternatives to GTechniq C5 that are still nano / ceramic / quartz?

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Yellow Dave-good review. Ceramic coatings are sooo good for protecting wheels. Prior to ceramic sealants I used to use a hybrid wheel wax which lasted 9 months if carefull. But the new breed massively improves that, and at the same time protect better from scratching. So if you've got black gloss wheels they wheel stay scratch free for longer.
I have used c5 but I now use c.quartz.

chris
detailme

I've had my GTechniq C5 for about 6 months, not been brave enough to use it yet!

Any tips for applying it? I know there's not much, but hope to do all 4 wheels with it? - My concern is I can really only do one wheel at a time - will be wheel-off job - and don't want the applicator drying up?

I'll be cleaning with Snowfoam, Iron-X and Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (is this enough so I have a good surface to work on?).

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've had my GTechniq C5 for about 6 months, not been brave enough to use it yet!

Any tips for applying it? I know there's not much, but hope to do all 4 wheels with it? - My concern is I can really only do one wheel at a time - will be wheel-off job - and don't want the applicator drying up?

I'll be cleaning with Snowfoam, Iron-X and Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (is this enough so I have a good surface to work on?).

last time I used it, 4x 17" wheels used about 10-12ml of a 15ml bottle, both inside and outside faces. 1 applicator per wheel is all that is needed. BUT you will over apply the 1st time you use it, it spreads a lot further than you would think.

I'd always recommend an IPA or panel wipe wipedown after all the washing to remove any oils or residue. I forgot once and it didn't last many months as it won't bond properly

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Might have to get some of this when I finally pick a wheel and refurb them.

They looks spotless.

last time I used it, 4x 17" wheels used about 10-12ml of a 15ml bottle, both inside and outside faces. 1 applicator per wheel is all that is needed. BUT you will over apply the 1st time you use it, it spreads a lot further than you would think.

I'd always recommend an IPA or panel wipe wipedown after all the washing to remove any oils or residue. I forgot once and it didn't last many months as it won't bond properly

Ok cheers that's good to know :)

What's IPA? I'm just thinking of beer right now!

Shameless Plug I know, buts if you have applied sealant to your wheels then perhaps you should dress the tyres too. I have a group buy for 1 litre of Espuma long life tyre dressing for £9.50 posted. It's a great product which is long lasting and gives a satin/ matt sheen depending on how you use it. Would set the wheels off lovely!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Carpro eraser is specially made and correctly diluted to be used on paint as another option to IPA.

Spray on the panel or MF cloth, wipe over and remove

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Cheers Kev. Have you used any of the other nano wheel sealants yet? Will be looking for more come spring, not sure if to stay with the new GT formula.

Will pull off one of the other wheels next week with more pictures of the grime and how easy it washes off

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
CQUK works fine on wheels mate as does normal Cquartz. Obviously with a bit of discount now. It lasts!

Barring that the Nanolex stuff is very very good mate.

They're all good as you've seen.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Bit of a thread bump.

Im going to be sealing my freshly powder coated F1s very soon. Is GTechniq C5 still the product to use or is there anything better out there now?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I still use it and not yet found anything better. Carpro DLUX is well thought of but I wasn't won over. Nanolex ultra was nice and easy to apply but expensive. Yet to try my migliore strata but again can't be bought small enough so expensive. Used my bottle of concourse car care ceramishield today, wheels have been kept in the house for the last few days so nice and warm and dry, but it was curing within seconds. Carboncollective platinum is getting good reviews but seems very similar to gtechniq products.

You won't go wrong with C5 wheel armour. IIRC you previously bought gtechniq C4? Same stuff so can be used on wheels, painted panels etc so if you have any left give it a go

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks Dave, i haven't got any C4 left so ill have to buy the C5. I also need some IPA anyway so ill grab some while im there.