ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will a R19/Clio 1.8 16V engine fit into my 1.2 clio?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I dont really want to get rid of my car, so im thinking about upgrading the engine from a 1.2 diet to a 1.8 16v. Im aware that the loom/gearbox/driveshafts/ecu have to be changed, but just wondering it it will all actually fit/lineup?

How is everyone btw... Long time since i last posted!

320d
It'll fit fine but you'll really need to do something with the brakes as the standard solid front discs on your 1.2 will struggle to stop it plus the additional engine weight really needs to be compensated with a suspension upgrade

Better of just buying a 16v really

I'm pretty sure the subframe is the same on the 1.8 16v as it is the smaller engines, not sure about the R19 subframe though. I've seen people writing on here that you can use your original 1.2/1.4 shafts and gearbox but when we did my mates we did it properly. Not sure how long the shafts and box would last either?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
ok thanks guys. i think i'll leave her as a 1.2 for now then, and in the summer do a conversion a a 1.6 16v. Will be a bit lighter on the pocket for petrol ;)