ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will i be happy with a 172/182?

Well,after just selling my Impreza STI PPP i am on the look out for a 172/182,but how good are they?

How easy are they to modify,and is it worth going for either the 172 Cup,or the 182 with the Cup pack(am i right in thinking they never actually did a 182 Cup,just the Cup pack as an option?).

I know what my plans would be for one if i bought one,and i know it will not be as quick as what i have come from,but my ownership experience of the above was seriously tainted while i had it,so i want something to restore my obsession with cars!!

Clio 172 mk2
Very different than the Impreza but you shoule be very happy with the performance/fun for your money you get with the 172/182:D

A4 Avant
Just as long as you realise in a straight line it's not as quick, you should be pretty happy! I love driving mine and usually have a large grin on my face by the end of each drive. I haven't drove many cars that can be driven so quickly so easily without it biting you. Some people have problems with renault build quality but touch wood I'm yet to encounter that.

As for which to go for, thats a can of worms!! If your wanting raw thrills and best performance (debatable) then go for the 172 cup. If you want a cheap car with toys go for the 172. If you want something that bit newer with some warranty then go for the 182.

Don't expect massive power gains from any modifying you do. Most people recommend decat & exhaust, inlets matched, panel filter/induction kit, remap.

Yaris Hybrid
My mate went from a P1 to a Willy and is happy enough. He'd like my 182 too. Knows it is slower but is happy to give up some speed for reliability and lower running costs.

Clio 172 mk2
The Clio sport does make me smile.....when you can have such fun in the twisties and yet still get it to return over 40mpg it's got to be a half decent car:D

they are recommendable but you wont get amazing performance , you defo would need to spend thousands tbh .

but i'd recommend you test drive as many different RS as you can to help you decide as you will want toys in it or not ???

welcome to CS .......

RB 182 FF/ CUP PACKS
I've gone from a 911 to a 182. It's nowhere near as quick in a straight line, but it's much cheaper to own, and great fun. Not much point trying to squeeze a lot of extra power out though, if you want to modify one to make your journeys faster stick to brakes and suspension IMO.

Clio v6 & Atom 300
Well,after just selling my Impreza STI PPP i am on the look out for a 172/182,but how good are they?

How easy are they to modify,and is it worth going for either the 172 Cup,or the 182 with the Cup pack(am i right in thinking they never actually did a 182 Cup,just the Cup pack as an option?).

I know what my plans would be for one if i bought one,and i know it will not be as quick as what i have come from,but my ownership experience of the above was seriously tainted while i had it,so i want something to restore my obsession with cars!!

I used own a modded classsic scoob (270BHP). At the time I test drove a 182 with cup packs in a "i'm feeling poor" moment.

It was a BIG dissapointment. The lack of mid range coming from a turbo made it feel utterly gutless. Fun when ragged but otherwise boring.

I went on to get a Vee and have never looked back ;) even though NA tuning is terrible value!:dapprove:

Go for a few test drives yourself, but the two are completely different cars.

Peter:)

Mk4 .:R32
Bit of a step down from an imperza STI PPP mate, and a lot more money and effort is involved in improving power than on a turbo! They are fun little cars though, obviously not the fastest thing on the road nevertheless they are good for the money compared to things such as cooper s. A guy near my girlfriends house have just sold his Evo VII for a 182 cup. Spose you will benefit most from economy and insurance

Like i say,i know the performance is lower,but i also know you don't need huge BHP's to have fun,and thats what i am looking for right now and after having 2 Imprezas in quick sucession,i fancy a change.

I also went to the action day at Castle Coombe at the weekend,and there were a couple of Cups going round the track there,and both looked pretty standard,but did not look outclassed,particularly round the corners (although amazingly that can also be said of a Panda 100hp)!!

Mk4 .:R32
Your best off test driving one (without a salesman with you so you can give it some). But seeing as your used to the kick of an impreza turbo, I still reckon you would be disappointed. I came from a 206 1.4 and I expected more from my 172. Gotta admit they are fun though.

To be honest, i don't think you will; be too disappointed in the 182. It is def a rapid little car, and point-to-point as quick as nearly anything out there. I test drove a wrx and was deeply disappointed by it...i was expecting so much more from it than the 182. Also, had an interesting run with an impreza behind me...we both floored it and the guy in the impreza seemed quite surprised...and impressed. Although...if you are coming from an sti!!! As for 172/cup/182/cup etc...each to their own...performance difference is negligable b/w any of the clio sports. Take one for a test drive and see what you think.

Mountune Tractor
I've gone from a 911 to a 182. It's nowhere near as quick in a straight line, but it's much cheaper to own, and great fun. Not much point trying to squeeze a lot of extra power out though, if you want to modify one to make your journeys faster stick to brakes and suspension IMO.

Talk about down grade of the century!

Having been toying with the idea off and on for a while,i have been looking at articles etc,and one question i do have is,do any of them actually put out anywhere near the figures that are claimed?

Are the 172's better for the figures than the 182's or vice versa,as a few i have seen rolling roaded are only putting out closer to the 160's than the 170/180bhp mark?

Scirocco GT 210
Coming from a turbo you'll soon notice how bad the low-mid range in the clio is. Doesn't feel fast at all IMO even on cam. Although I have owned mine for ages now lol.

J

J182sport

had a STI8 PPP 4 months ago was a great car but was costing lots to run! was very fast! got a Trophy now handles better and still a very quick car out the corners and fun to throw around..its my second RS had a cup before was great too but the trophy has a quality about it.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Hello. I got my 172 Cup 4 weeks ago. I'm still grinning. I've also had an Impreza, but only a WRX. The Subaru was fantastic, but the Clio is more fun and sounds odd, but just a bit cheekier. That probably sounds daft, but it's much more fun rattling other more expensive cars in this than it was in the Impreza.

The other real bonus is real world service costs and £35 quid to fill it up. I was forever watching the fuel in the Scooby.

I say go for it and enjoy. I'm back to sneaking out early mornings for a blast and it'll be one crossed off your list!

BMW M3
Having been toying with the idea off and on for a while,i have been looking at articles etc,and one question i do have is,do any of them actually put out anywhere near the figures that are claimed?

Are the 172's better for the figures than the 182's or vice versa,as a few i have seen rolling roaded are only putting out closer to the 160's than the 170/180bhp mark?

TBH, its all over the place.

Alot of 172 & 182 give lower readings, but then some give higher readings. Its probably down to the rolling road but i think over the time ive been here ive heard of more lower reading then higher.

Mine has made 203 bhp with a remap and a few other mods. Although i dont really know what its running, as over 200 is deamed as being impossible with out cams or ITBs apparently. Rolling roads dont mean anything to me now lol

182 Full Fatt!
I'm lucky enough to have access to both, and they are very different as I expect you anticipate!

You'll miss the angry spool up type power and you'll have a love/hate relationship with the 182, it's very flimsy compared to the Subaru and it's not gonna mess with your head the way full power in an Impreza can! It feels like you wind lock on an elastic band sometimes the way the front wheels load up, as if they are ready to spring back. Mind you, it won't follow camber the way a Subaru does, thank goodness! Awesome grip though, and it feel so much lighter and responsive!

It won't feel as quick, simple as, but it certainly is fun. I can go for a thrash and then smile when I see something like 34mpg for the journey, as opposed to crying when I see how much fuel the Impreza burnt on a similar run.
It's cammy enough in it's power delivery to make a thrash interesting.
Lots of toys in a Full Fat 182 also!

If you wanna ask a fellow STI owner any more questions I can reply...

Clio 172 mk2
Agree with the above as I have owned both.

Owning a Subaru made me so concious of petrol consumption which kinda spoit it for me....running/repair costs were okay though.

Well,i have finally found the replacement(s) for my Impreza,and i am very happy.....................but i have to confess,it's not a Clio(this time!!).

I decided that i needed another family car (the wife has a new Pug 107) so i bought a LWB Isuzu Trooper 3.0TD to do that job(and to tow the jet-ski if i buy one),and i have to say i am pretty impressed.It goes well for what it is,and the economy is at least an improvement on the STI.

That left some money over for another fun car,and i do love a convertible this time of year (it was an E46 M3 Convertible,followed by an Ariel Atom last year),so i have just bought a Lotus Elise,in my most favourite colour(Norfolk Mustard),and i am very happy with it.It goes well,handles very well,and is in stunning condition.

So for the time being the 172/182 is on the back burner,but if anyone wants to buy an Elise in a few months time and has a Clio to part ex......................

Well, i dont think you could have gone any further away from a 172/182 lol

Nice one mate.

You say that,but both are light,have a normally aspirated engine,excellent handling,both are drivers cars,and most importantly of all,put a bloody great smile on their driver's faces...........................it's just after that the similarities start to disappear LOL.

BMW M3
What a numpty i am !!!!

I only read half your post an thought you were talking about the trooper. lol

Yeah, Elises are not so different after all lol