ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will they ever make a Renault Sport Clio DCi?

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
I'd buy one. Makes a lot more sense considering the weight of the new Clio, and the could just use a slightly detuned version of the engine out of the Renault Sport Megane DCi. Then we could retune it and then a bit more. Would be an awesome car. Solve the issues with the fuel consumption as well... :cool:

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
^^^ heheh!

That's on of the issues tho isn't it... It's the fuel pump that makes most of the clattery noise apparently. If they could work out some way of making oil burners sound good, they'd be a lot more popular...

BMW M135i
Hmm i'd have said the noise is mostly down to high compression det which is how a diesel engine works so you'll never get them to sound like a petrol (read: good ;)) I don't think.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
they do make aftermarket exhaust systems that give a better sound now, but it's still the sound that is putting me off getting a ibiza tdi for my next car, even though the tuning capabilites are as good as those of a petrol

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I hope not. Then we'll have to listen to more cheap skates banging on about torque, and 'real world situations'. Their argument of course been that in the real world you never, ever want to have to change down so it's good to have torque... Yea... Right...

Dan

aren't the disesel engines usually quite a bit heavier than their petrol counter-parts?

don't really want any more weight in the clio, and might be a bit nose heavy?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
^^^

Plus the Mk3 is already a serious pie eater.

Dan

Meg 250/E36 Touring
aren't the disesel engines usually quite a bit heavier than their petrol counter-parts?

don't really want any more weight in the clio, and might be a bit nose heavy?

Agreed

I think the weight would be an issue to be honest.

Clown Car
Citroen have dropped the 1.6HDI 110hp diesel engine into the C2 VTS, making it only 38kg heavier than the petrol engined version which weighs 1084kg, also the diesel makes 80% more torque, is only just over a second slower to 62 and returns 64mpg, 24mpg more than the petrol.

What the hell have they put in a C2 VTS petrol to make it weigh the same as a 182?.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
A remapped C2 HDi110 would be a right weapon. They remap to about 140bhp and 300nm... That's as much torque as a Vee heh! Shame you'd look like a gay and it would probably grenade the entire drivetrain daily :)

Dan

Clown Car
The C2 VTS could have been an awesome little car with a lot less weight, a bit more power, better suspension and brakes, i hated the sensodrive gearbox in my VTR though.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Oh don't get me wrong, if I was doing a commute of a good few miles, I'd buy one too. I'd hate myself, but I would. Needs must and all. Actually I wouldn't I'd get something with a VAG Derv instead. Although when I really think about it for a commute I'd want toys and comfort, with the possibility of fun when the roads were clear - so probably nothing VAG (Just MHO but I always find them terribly dull to drive). Maybe a C2 VTS remapped. 65mpg, 140bhp, 300nm (remapped figures). But then, the seats in my mates C2 GT were utterley ghastly... I'd have to think about this for a while :D 206 GTi HDi maybe...

Dan

Dan

LY 182
subaru already make a flat 4 cat weisel engine.
what a utterly utterly stupid idea.

i've yet to drive (and in my job i've driven a few) a diesel with an engine that feels even remotely sport orientated.

you get no power at all turbo spins up you get one kick in the back then thats it the rest of the rev range is useless.

LY 182
I drove a bmw 335 D the other day, 290BHP apparently and it was fooking rapid!!
ah,
i must admit, i drove a bmw 320d not long ago..
it had exactly the same charecteristics as i just mentioned but the kick in the back was immense.
every corner just a small nudge of the accelerator traction control comes in

Mondeo TDCI 130
I drove a bmw 335 D the other day, 290BHP apparently and it was fooking rapid!!
ah,
i must admit, i drove a bmw 320d not long ago..
it had exactly the same charecteristics as i just mentioned but the kick in the back was immense.
every corner just a small nudge of the accelerator traction control comes in

Yep, it was the local parts suppliers car, done 800 miles, he wanted uprated pads in it, went up the road, expecting it to be nippy, squeezed the throttle and the tc came in, going straight in the dry, i though f**k me!!

The pick up was immense, and apparently it is being chipped to 340bhp, no problem.

It would just cruise at 30, them you plant you foot and it rips your insides out, flappy paddle box was immense aswell!!

Renault 5 GT Turbo
I have a 1.5 dci Clio 106hp version... with 240mn of torque.

Tbh its pretty sweet, with the 6 speed box out of the Clio "sports" (197 & 225) its a nice lil gear box although annoying having to change gear at 4k!

It does pull very well and not to slow 133 gps top speed on the way to the ring last November. Which it also did many laps around.... overtook a few cars on the hilly section which was nice...

Tbh its pretty sweet, with the 6 speed box out of the Clio "sports" (197 & 225) its a nice lil gear box although annoying having to change gear at 4k!

It does pull very well and not to slow 133 gps top speed on the way to the ring last November. Which it also did many laps around.... overtook a few cars on the hilly section which was nice...

any pics of you dci106 ;)

320d
Citroen have dropped the 1.6HDI 110hp diesel engine into the C2 VTS, making it only 38kg heavier than the petrol engined version which weighs 1084kg, also the diesel makes 80% more torque, is only just over a second slower to 62 and returns 64mpg, 24mpg more than the petrol.

What the hell have they put in a C2 VTS petrol to make it weigh the same as a 182?.

I was looking at these the other day, 156 a month on a 2 year lease, and group 6 insurance

Renault 5 GT Turbo

any pics of you dci106 ;)

Ask and you shall get. :)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3916569#post3916569

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
175 dci meggy is quite quiet for what it is.

standard it runs 175bhp, 260lb/ft, 350NM or so.

70kg extra on front axle due to iron lump, so a bit of a dead horse on front, but all in all quiet for a diesel and 40mpg is easily achievable on mixed use. Iv had 52mpg when not in traffic etc.

They may not stick it in clio as it might dilute meggy sales. Also it will probably be too expensive as the cheapest list price for a meggy 175 dci is circa £18k or so (not thatd youd pay that of course).

Good car, comes alive with remap and good on fuel. Also still rare as fook.

Mk3 SX
Well my dci mk3 is very quiet i must say, nobody thinks its a diesel. I'd say its no louder than my mates new petrol fiesta.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
they could do a more tuned 1.5 though ;) biggar turbo intercooler ect

Remember though they already do 3 stages of the 1.5 engine...

68hp
86hp
106hp

That Nissan engine cant really take much more power over 130hp.... Renault want to keep warrenty's etc...

BMW 320d SE
The Seat Leon Touring Car this season is a TDi - and although it sounds a bit odd out on track, there's no doubting it's performance.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
id recommend that anyone who doubts the credentials to get to their local stealer for a shot of the dci 175 its fairly impressive and non tractor like, which is a bonus.

Also the cheapest route to RS ownership at group 12 ins and also £165 tax a year, which again is a bonus given its warm off the line the performance and good in gear flexibility and 40mpg + economy available everyday.

dont get black though if you want an easy car to look after :rasp:

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Black cars *shudders*, I'm starting to get nightmares about ours, and we've only had it a fortnight...

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
if u drive a megane 175 sport, u will apprechite how good diesels our these days, they produce more power now than most petrol engines, i think they are great;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Father in laws 535 D would rip a new one into any of the renault range,

TDI's are coming alive now with new variants all the time.The new R8 V12 TDI does 100mph in under 8 seconds.Have a look in evo at the supercar section to see just how quick that is.

Give it a few years and a lot of people on here will switch to a TDI and as supercar variants come out,then the technology will filter down the ranges

Its on the wall so get used to it