ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams engine to 16v gearbox?

silver valver/hybrid
just wanna make sure that the 16 v gearbox is ok to use with the williams engine as i have got one being delivered this week but he hasnt got a gearbox with it? any other things i need to consider when getting the williams engine fitted?

The valver box isn't as strong. The Williams box has thicker gears etc but it shouldn't make much difference depends how you drive though.

Clio 16v / Clio Williams
isnt the williams box just the same but with a taller 5th gear? ratio wise i mean, i guess the williams is slightly stronger to allow for that bit of extra power..

Clio Phase II 16V
the weak point of a valver box is the circlip holding the diff together, i have gone through 3 in 5 years of valver ownership, although that said they do say the williams is stronger with different rations to the valver to cater for the torque difference.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
my newly rebuilt 16v box split open after a few hard changes!

williams box is stronger, depends on ur engine power and abuse it gets tho :D

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
If you had a good budget and your gonna keep the car a new gearbox from renault isnt as much as you think and they have changed the design on the new boxes instead of a circlip theres a retaining plate with 3 13mm bolts holding the diff in,who's fitting the engine ?

silver valver/hybrid
lol good question havent got that far yet :eek: gonna wait for it to arrive and see what other bits i will need, my valver gearbox has only done 80k and seems to be doing ok, so for now i might just use that, i dont drive mine megga hard or do drag racing so it should last a while yet hopefully.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
is that true? mines now got a brand spanking willy bnox in it! will that be the same does anyone know?

matty w said:
If you had a good budget and your gonna keep the car a new gearbox from renault isnt as much as you think and they have changed the design on the new boxes instead of a circlip theres a retaining plate with 3 13mm bolts holding the diff in,who's fitting the engine ?

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
nick got me a brand new box for my megane coupe when i had it,was on about £400 which i thought was good value,
Derv i'd send it to nick hills for the engine swap he knows them engine's like the back of his hand