ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring led strips In footwells . Advice!

AB Clio 182 FF
So I picked up some led strips from fcs , but wanted to know the best way to wire them in .

Ideally I want to wire them in so they will work when I open and close the doors but also want them so I can put them on even with the doors closed and without needing the ignition turned on , Obvs I would need a switch of some kind but not sure how I would do this ,

Any ideas ?

I would wire a switch in so that you could flick it to turn on with interior lights or constant live(ignition live) you can use all the wires when you remove the passenger a pillar. You could place the switch inside the glovebox or wherever you'd want it I've done similar for under door light strips.

The wires are red white and black as long as you have a multimeter you'll find out what which wire is earth - ignition live - door open live(courtesy light).

I wouldn't drive round with them on constantly mate I'm not sure if there is a law against it or not but just for peace of mind just in case the police do a nice stop check. I'd just wire them to the courtesy light as said above so when the door opens they come on.

Nick

Mk2 Ph2 172
I wired mine into the cigarette lighter illumination wire so they come on with the side lights....

86eb3c6f.jpg

decc2673.jpg

decb95d2.jpg

AB Clio 182 FF
I wouldn't drive round with them on constantly mate I'm not sure if there is a law against it or not but just for peace of mind just in case the police do a nice stop check. I'd just wire them to the courtesy light as said above so when the door opens they come on.

Nick

i dont think they r illegal inside the car :s i could be wrong though

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how bright they are. If they're bright enough to be deemed a distraction then you'll be stung.

Should've seen one of the dicks at work after he wrote his car off. Trying to rip all the footwell lights out before the police got there :lolup:

Punto/Clio GTT
my old ones i just wired straight up to the battery and put a toggle switch in. wouldnt wire them up to sidelights tbh. just have them on a switch so you can turn them on/off whenever you want

MG ZR 1.8
Mine are wired into my interior light.
Ran the wires under the dash, up the pillars and under the ceiling carpet thing lol.
Can have them on constantly if the interior light switch is on. Or have them just come on when the doors are open.

1.2 16v clio
yes its pos to pos neg to neg and if you want a switch you can just put a switch to either pos or neg to break the connection :)

clio 1.5 DCI 80
this is how you need to do it...... i appologise about the drawing, i woke up about 5 mins ago.....

the push switch is available from maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/push-to-break-2494

2iuasmh.jpg

hope this helps.....:approve:

mount the PBS either in the door or on the side of the dash where the door will meet, therefore pushing it and breaking the connection. when the doors open, the switch will spring out conpleting the circuit. you have a rocker switch to overide it all.

you can always put another swithc in before the PBS so you can turn that off if needed.

AB Clio 182 FF
this is how you need to do it...... i appologise about the drawing, i woke up about 5 mins ago.....

the push switch is available from maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/push-to-break-2494

2iuasmh.jpg

hope this helps.....:approve:

mount the PBS either in the door or on the side of the dash where the door will meet, therefore pushing it and breaking the connection. when the doors open, the switch will spring out conpleting the circuit. you have a rocker switch to overide it all.

you can always put another swithc in before the PBS so you can turn that off if needed.

where could i get a push break switch today ?

AB Clio 182 FF

your nearest store is in Derby mate, i got mine from instore at coventry.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/store-locator/derby

id give them a call to make sure they have it tho to save a possible wasted journey.....

So basically i wire the pos straight from the battery to the led's (what would be the best connector to use ?)
then i run the neg from the battery to the switch then to the leds.
then i run another from the neg to a push switch then connect them to the other neg wire with the normal switch,

if u get what i mean lol

clio 1.5 DCI 80
That's right mate, dont forget to put a fuse between battery and LEDs on positive wire I personally would solder them but you can use butt connectors. For the LEDs to work, they need a positive and a negative feed. Even with the PBS "open" it will get the negative from the rocker switch, and visa versa. Asking as you wire them as two separate negative feeds from the led it should work.

AB Clio 182 FF

your nearest store is in Derby mate, i got mine from instore at coventry.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/store-locator/derby

id give them a call to make sure they have it tho to save a possible wasted journey.....

That's right mate, dont forget to put a fuse between battery and LEDs on positive wire I personally would solder them but you can use butt connectors. For the LEDs to work, they need a positive and a negative feed. Even with the PBS "open" it will get the negative from the rocker switch, and visa versa. Asking as you wire them as two separate negative feeds from the led it should work.

thats great mate

Mk2 Ph2 172
I couldnt live with having them constantly on when driving at night. It would piss
me right off

tbh you don't really notice them, its handy as i have two leds for the cup holders so trying to find things in there when its dark is made easier and also with out them the interior is very dull in the dark.. they just give off a low glow of light and they are not very bright !!!

clio 1.5 DCI 80
you'll have to bang a couple of photos up on this thread as you do it and between us make a bit of a "how to"

just give us a shout if you get stuck and need any more help.

thanks