ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you buy this track prep 192?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a 197 for track and constantly flipping between a project versus something pre-specced.

V5 last issued in September 2019. With cambelt and dephaser done a few hundred miles ago, does this seem too good to be true? If it all checked out then it would certainly save me a bunch of cash. Perhaps it's cheap because seemingly rough bodywork?

I'm worried that a sorted / tracked car has already had the life squeezed out of it and will leave me with nothing but work and stress figuring stuff out?

Seems good for the price. Ask for proof of the cams though as I suspect it wont have 'uprated' ones or any other than standard ones for that matter haha

Thanks. I see from checking the DVLA site that the V5 was last issued in September 2019.. I wonder what the significance of that is?

Do you think they just bought it then.. or just had it lost/replaced? If the only bought it then, I would be worried.

Krarl

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. I see from checking the DVLA site that the V5 was last issued in September 2019.. I wonder what the significance of that is?

Do you think they just bought it then.. or just had it lost/replaced? If the only bought it then, I would be worried.
Probably bought a new V5 mate

I've had to do it a few times with cars I've bought because previous owners have been absolute spaniels

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
That doors fucked. I couldn’t cope with that.

It’s basically a clio with some bucket seats and some decent wheels that’s suddenly become ‘track / fast road’.

I’d rather pay £2500 and get a decent one and do the mods myself. The fun is in ploughing your hard earned into a project, not correcting someone else’s bodges.

That doors fucked. I couldn’t cope with that.

It’s basically a clio with some bucket seats and some decent wheels that’s suddenly become ‘track / fast road’.

I’d rather pay £2500 and get a decent one and do the mods myself. The fun is in ploughing your hard earned into a project, not correcting someone else’s bodges.

Fair enough. But to be honest, I probably wouldn't pay more than 1850/1900 and it's listed for 2200.

Would you lads not be worried about a thrashed engine / gearbox? I mean fair enough the body work may not be ideal, but at least that is up front and clear to see. I'd be more curious about unknowns.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Fair enough. But to be honest, I probably wouldn't pay more than 1850/1900 and it's listed for 2200.

Would you lads not be worried about a thrashed engine / gearbox? I mean fair enough the body work may not be ideal, but at least that is up front and clear to see. I'd be more curious about unknowns.

Isn’t that the same with any car though? You could argue that a track car has likely had more regular engine and box oil changes.

I think the only way to do it would be to go test drive it and have a look yourself.

Isn’t that the same with any car though? You could argue that a track car has likely had more regular engine and box oil changes.

I think the only way to do it would be to go test drive it and have a look yourself.

Oh yea, but my thinking is that most non track cars probably aren't driven to the red line. I guess there is for and against.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh yea, but my thinking is that most non track cars probably aren't driven to the red line. I guess there is for and against.

Most track cars have done one track day before the owner has realised it’s too expensive to do more than that so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've been doing track days for 15+ years and have a big circle of friends that do it too. Im yet to find someone that's bought a 'Track prepped' car and not had to fix umpteen bodges inside and out. Buying someone else's headache if you ask me.

I once went to view a 'Track 172 Cup' off this very website and the wiring loom was literally screwed up and crushed inside a big white council junction box and self tapperd in to the firewall where the glovebox should have been. Mental.

Buy something relatively standard (Perhaps with nice spec suspension and an exhaust maybe) and do the rest of the work yourself.

I agree, the amount of 'track spec' cars I've come across which are absolute dogs.

You need to be prepared to properly sort it yourself If you buy someone elses cheap car. Unless you don't actually care about bodges obviously.

Cheap for a reason.

Last edited: