ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox 360 - worth waiting for an Elite?

Mito Sportiva 135
I am really after a 360, but with the Elite out this year I was wondering what does everyone think - worth waiting for? I think the HDMI cable will make a big difference, like the huge hard disc and I am hoping they sort out some other hardward issues that have plagued the current versions (Although I doubt they will!)

I have waited this long so whats another couple of months is my opionion...

Rav4
I hope they are quieter, that's for sure.

:)

I would wait until it comes out and buy the normal ones as hopefully they should go down in price quite a lot.

tsst are still teh largest oem supplier of drives to the 360 benq were the second lite-on bought them out mid 2006 iirc but have only just them selfs started to supply oem

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Nowt wrong with lite-on...

But I wouldnt hold your breath if your waiting for a quiet 360 lol.. If anything I would hope MS has fixed the cheap solder problem.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh it seems stupid not to update the manufacturing process really, even in the space of 6 months, components become smaller, more efficient, quieter etc. So since the 360 has been out a while now it seems a wasted opportunity to not take advantage of advancements in the 360. Especially calling it "an Elite".

Am I right in saying though that you can buy a cable for the Core or Premium which allows the higher HD resolutions, like the Elite will? That is the primary reason for me waiting, but if I can just get a cable then I will go for a Premium I think...does anyone know? :S

the standard 360 does 1080p via vga trouble is most tv's dont so the hdmi cable will make it alot easier to get it out of most 1080p sets

the manufacturing process is always been improved they have several manufaturers for each part so almost no two 360's are the same

Rav4
they have different motherboards and CD/DVD drives, so should be quieter, hopefully.

HDMI mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mito Sportiva 135
the standard 360 does 1080p via vga trouble is most tv's dont so the hdmi cable will make it alot easier to get it out of most 1080p sets

the manufacturing process is always been improved they have several manufaturers for each part so almost no two 360's are the same

I know they have used different part suppliers, but are the parts actually improved (significantly) then?

Hmmm I am a bit of a sucker for latest technology... so might wait for the Elite. I would get a PS3 but no games out on it yet that I think "I need that" - and plus the 360 will have the might Halo 3, Forza 2 and PGR4... nice!

What are everyones opinions here on the PS3? I mean obviously its a class piece of kit, but are any games out yet that warrant the console? Especially for non-online players like myself? Starting to hate all these micro-transaction things, put them in the game in the first place!!

Yaris Hybrid
I'd wait for Elite. My bro just got a VGA cable for his 360 and it blows the component picture out of the water.

Trouble is our PC's use the VGA socket so it means cable swapping.

Apparently HDMI gives the same quality as VGA and I ain't using my HDMI socket as Virginmedia only have one rubbish HD channel...

Mito Sportiva 135
Hmm interesting... in that case might wait then. Yeh PS3 has failed to capture interest and imagination so far I think... TBH I think the star of this generation is Nintendo by a long way: they have attracted people who would never have been interested in games before, shown the world that playing games isn't the exclusive past times of agoraphobic teenagers and made a lot more profit than either Nintendo or MS.

However, not enough FPS or driving sims for me, and graphics aren't up to par. Imagine a 360/PS3 with the Wii's controller, that would be amazing... imagine Halo 3 with an assault movement when your close to an enemy with the power sword... mmm! :boring:

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh but the Elite is only £40 more than the Premium when it comes out in the US, so with any luck (as UK consumers are ripped off) that will only be £50-60 extra here.

Plus - it's BLACK (which seems the main USP according to the advert!)

Halo 3, GOW2, PGR4, Forza2, Command & Conquer 3.... all in glorious full HD on my phat Sony tv... fantastic! Although this might detract from my final years study @ uni :S

Ah who cares...! :cool:

Golf GTD
Elite will probably be about £350 when its released over here.

Unless you need HDMI then I wouldnt wait personally. Premiums can be had in some cracking bundles from the shops at the minute, but id be cautious about buying off ebay/second hand as some have been banned from live.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i'd wait casue when it comes out there will be loads of premiums on ebay, like mine for example, i need hdmi for me telly.

Scenic mk1 (F3R)

But I wouldnt hold your breath if your waiting for a quiet 360 lol.. If anything I would hope MS has fixed the cheap solder problem.

lol that why ive had 4 break on me and my mate broke 2. yea 360 quility dont exist lol my mine looks like the metal cover inside had been battered into shape by some kid with a hammer and nail

Mito Sportiva 135
i'd wait casue when it comes out there will be loads of premiums on ebay, like mine for example, i need hdmi for me telly.

If I get a Premium with the HDMI cable, will it be as good quality as the Elite then?

Bring back the good old aerial connections I say! ;)

Mito Sportiva 135
the premium doesnt do hdmi nativly

But can it with the upgraded cable someone mentioned? If so, do you know what its called and approx. how much it will be?

I feel left in the dark ages not knowing :(

Thanks for any more info - just want some game action with the best graphics the system is capable of, and as I have a good TV too want to make the most of the components

dk

911 GTS Cab
Does anyone know when this bad boy is coming out? and how much it is going to be?
its not even confirmed its coming to the UK that i have heard, it probably will but just maybe not the same as the US model, maybe it'll be a christmas item?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is the VGA really that much better than component?

I just splashed out on a longer component lead now I've got an HDTV - but it's also got VGA input too.

Should I go get a VGA cable?

Monaco 172 2/468

I just splashed out on a longer component lead now I've got an HDTV - but it's also got VGA input too.

Totally depends on your tv mate, try it. On some it's better, some it isn't. If it is the same or better, thats great, because then you get your DVD's upscaled :)

dk

911 GTS Cab

i tried both and the component was better on my samsung 32"

Ph-Sold!
Elite won't offer anything more games wise than the regular one, both systems are struggling for a good range of games at the moment. Won't get a sensible answer to the question on here as both systems have their own fanboys.

360 is a solid choice, but be prepared to spend PS3 money if you want wifi and HD DVD.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

lol that why ive had 4 break on me and my mate broke 2. yea 360 quility dont exist lol my mine looks like the metal cover inside had been battered into shape by some kid with a hammer and nail

I ordered a whole load of them for my department, not one failure and they have had a lot of cd-r's and dvd-r's through them (and I do mean a LOT ! like thousands)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I had both cables.. dont really look too much different but I thought out of the two that the VGA looked better.