ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another headlight thread

clio 16v
Sorry chaps but here's another one... I'm completely new to this detailing marlarcy and don't understand have of what get said in this section..

Well after reading about the guides on how to do it I went to halfords and got a new drill arbar and a drill buffing pad... I was looking at sand paper but the highest they had is 1200 is this ok to start on? I don't want to f**k my lights up. So I didn't buy and I'm waiting for the paper to come in.. I was thinking of starting at 2000 now because when I got home I taped up the light and just used the buffing pad and some srp and have seen a considerable difference.

So is 2000 ok to start? Or should I start lower because it isn't too bad now? And is scratch x the best or that g3 stuff ? Cheers car cleaning gods

I did mine on Sunday according to the guide.

I started with 1200 then moved up to 1500 wet sanding. I'd start with something a bit lower than 2000 to take out the worse defects and then move up to something higher... Unless it's really not that bad to start with!

IIRC JD mentioned that G3 applied via DA should remove 3000 grit sanding trails, however I used 1500 grit followed by Scratch X and SRP with fairly good results, via a drill bit attachment. Certainly not perfect as there is still some swirling on the headlight covers but major defects removed I am happy with them.

U got any pics of your finished results wick?

I haven't taken any atm, but I'll fire a few off for you tomorrow in the light. They were quite bad before, and a few on here can vouch for that lol... I found myself sanding off yellow grime for the first 5 minutes! No before shots unless I crop in on a previous photo as I was having a lazy Sunday!

I'll get them up tomorrow evening.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
id be interested in these pics too sam. i did mine with just 1500 grit, then scratch-x followed by srp. results were better but still got that horrible scarring on top plus a few trail marks from the wet and dry.

id be interested in these pics too sam. i did mine with just 1500 grit, then scratch-x followed by srp. results were better but still got that horrible scarring on top plus a few trail marks from the wet and dry.

I still have some minor swirling and trails... but it it's cleaned them up a lot. To be fair mine was a bit of a half arsed effort. Only spent about 30 mins on each headlight as I was sunburnt from CSS lol! But after being parked up surrounded by mint headlights, I was finally fed up of all the discolouration and marring so got the kit out the garage!

When did you do yours? Did I miss this on Saturday?!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
i did mine a few weeks back but like you i didnt spend long on each headlight. thats why i pointed out those headlights on the bg on css. crap design at the end of the day :(

I did mine on Sunday according to the guide.

I started with 1200 then moved up to 1500 wet sanding. I'd start with something a bit lower than 2000 to take out the worse defects and then move up to something higher... Unless it's really not that bad to start with!

IIRC JD mentioned that G3 applied via DA should remove 3000 grit sanding trails, however I used 1500 grit followed by Scratch X and SRP with fairly good results, via a drill bit attachment. Certainly not perfect as there is still some swirling on the headlight covers but major defects removed I am happy with them.

I wouldn't have mentioned G3 as I hate the stuff.

But on headlights it's not so bad I guess.

Personally I would be looking at 2000 then 3000 grit wet and dry. Then polish up using scratch x or menz IP3.02 or 203s.

I wouldn't have mentioned G3 as I hate the stuff.

But on headlights it's not so bad I guess.

Personally I would be looking at 2000 then 3000 grit wet and dry. Then polish up using scratch x or menz IP3.02 or 203s.

Oops. 90% of polish names are lost on me, sorry!!

Pics as requested of my results. We've had rain here tonight so nothing special, just ran out with the camera between showers!

m_IMG_8095.jpg

m_IMG_8096.jpg

m_IMG_8097.jpg

m_IMG_8099.jpg

Black Gold Trophy
I wouldnt ever attempt it without a rotary polisher.

I think this video is very helpful, even if it is a bit too american and info-mercial for my liking :)

Last edited by a moderator: