ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yoko AD08's vs Toyo R1-R's for road/wet track days.

Audi A5
Ok so last year I wanted a tyre that done everything, so went for federal rsr's which I do rate but on track in the wet I think their sh*t. So this year I'm thinking of running two sets of wheels, one set with 888's for dry trackdays and one set that will be used as my daily set and double up as good for wet track days.

so ado8's and r1-R's are both around the £300 mark for four 195 50 15 tyres but what to go for?

GSXR + KDX220
Can't comment on the ad08s but I've been using the R1Rs for the last year, including a couple of track days in wet conditions and they performed very well considering how wet it was.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are the Yokos a good road tyre? I hear good things about them, better than the spec 2 and are they safe enough in the wet whilst driving like a fairy?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
On my AD08s I've done two trackdays (one blisteringly hot, one in monsoon conditions) and total mileage thus far is approx. 10k...with a couple thousand left in them.

At Llandow in the monsoon they dispersed all but the most severe lakes that ran across the track, delivered a surprising amount of grip.

In the dry at Bedford, they held up very well, moved nicely when provoked.

On the road aside from the obvious standing water issues (and the jiggly ride from the steel reinforced sidewalls) they're fine.

Will more than likely go for exactly the same again once these wear out.

Audi A5
Are the Yokos a good road tyre? I hear good things about them, better than the spec 2 and are they safe enough in the wet whilst driving like a fairy?

their rated very highly, much much better than the paradas. Their also known for being very good in the wet just like the R1-R's

very difficult to choose between them.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks chaps. Wish they did bloody Sessantas in smaller sizes!

RB 182 Cup
Slightly off topic, but I've used Parada Spec 2 tyres in 195 50 15 now for over 3 years.

I only drive on the road, i.e no track days. I also live in Scotland where in rains at some point most days.

I cover 10,000 miles a year and have only used 2 full sets.

I find them great in both wet and dry conditions, albeit they don't like standing water. As long as you drive to the conditions and don't expect them, or any other tyre, to have the same levels of grip in the wet as they do the dry, they're great.

When they do let go, they do so progressively and I've never been caught out by them.

They don't like the snow, but I doubt many summer tyres do.

They do have soft sidewalls and to combat this I run them at 32psi, which is higher than I have used with previous brands, but doesn't spoil their feel or grip.

Last edited:
On my AD08s I've done two trackdays (one blisteringly hot, one in monsoon conditions) and total mileage thus far is approx. 10k...with a couple thousand left in them.

At Llandow in the monsoon they dispersed all but the most severe lakes that ran across the track, delivered a surprising amount of grip.

In the dry at Bedford, they held up very well, moved nicely when provoked.

On the road aside from the obvious standing water issues (and the jiggly ride from the steel reinforced sidewalls) they're fine.

Will more than likely go for exactly the same again once these wear out.

I'm hoping to fit these this season as all the quick lads are using them in sprints, I'm just waiting for the T1R's to come to the end of their life as I don't like them in the wet, would fit on the 16's but they cost a fortune and i had 2 new AD08's given to me but in 15's, are the side walls stiffer like the Bridgestone tyres as I loved Bridgestone on the 205,
Sorry to go a bit off topic.

Regards Russ.......

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Never had toyos but ive heard a few horror stories about how bad they are in the wet conditions?

Im going to be buying the yokos next month, 300+ delivery for the 4 ;)

Cup In bits
Never had toyos but ive heard a few horror stories about how bad they are in the wet conditions?

Im going to be buying the yokos next month, 300+ delivery for the 4 ;)

Are you not mixing up Toyo T1-R's & R1-R's? I'm interested as I plan to run the later as my wet weather tyre.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im running R1R's on my track wheels as they were the cheapest 'track' tyre I could find fitted. Great on the road but yet to try them on track, hopefully next sunday ill give them a good go :)

172 track car
I asked this question recently and the general thoughts were r1r for wet and r888 for dry, a cheaper alternative was uniroyal rainsport2

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got out with an accurate digital tread depth gauge today and my AD08s have 3.0mm front and 2.5mm rear. This is after 11,000 miles.

I only expected 6-8k miles out of a set when I originally bought them, but it looks like I'll see at least 13k. Incredible considering how they feel, grip, and perform on track.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
What are they like in the wet? ^^^^^ really tempted by these.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
In the wet? Fine unless you accelerate hard while cornering fairly hard through an inch of standing water...

They coped really well with those conditions on that day. I'd not hesitate to go back there again on another set knowing the rain would likely be exactly the same.

How well do R888s cope with that much standing water?

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lotus Elise
In the wet? Fine unless you accelerate hard while cornering fairly hard through an inch of standing water...

They coped really well with those conditions on that day. I'd not hesitate to go back there again on another set knowing the rain would likely be exactly the same.

How well do R888s cope with that much standing water?

Fine if you don't ask them to do two things at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Jap Shed
I felt my ad08 today before fitting and the sidewall was really soft! Is this the same experience as you guys?

LY FF182
Are 595's, r1r's, 888's and a048's all road legal still?

and what's better, ad08's or r1r's?

Clio 182 FF
<Thread Bump>

What did the OP buy? I'm looking between Yoko AD08R (the new one) and Toyo R1R specifically for Wet Track. Don't care about dry as I've got other sets and another car.
Also, how does the PS3 compare? They're my road tyres, and I could stick them on for a Wet Track if they're comparable with AD08R and R1R?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If it's just for wet then I'd probably stick with R1R as I believe it's a little softer compound.

The R1Rs wear rate is pretty bad on a warm and dry surface though.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't used R1-Rs but I have AD08s and the only time I've had any bother is in the mx5 through standing water

i'm using R1r on my cup after speaking to Tony, absolutely brilliant in the wet and couldn't believe how they grip and seem to disperse water

Audi A5
What did the OP buy? I'm looking between Yoko AD08R (the new one) and Toyo R1R specifically for Wet Track. Don't care about dry as I've got other sets and another car. Also, how does the PS3 compare? They're my road tyres, and I could stick them on for a Wet Track if they're comparable with AD08R and R1R?

didnt get either in the end, just stuck with the RSR's until I sold the 182.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
never ran R1R's. got a set of AD08's on the clio now.
Got a trackday on friday night so if its wet i'll get to test them out properly

WRX
R1Rs fit the bill perfectly. A little noisy for road use but more than adequate for the odd track day and great in the wet. If you use your road car to just do a couple of track days a year and only want one set of tyres, I would definitely recommend them. I acept they can melt a bit quickly on a dry track but grip is far better than road tyres.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
A set of R1-Rs (195/50/15) can be had for £292 (delivered), which seems pretty good value but how many miles do people expect the R1-R to last, given mainly road driving and 1-2 trackdays per year?

Comparable to the Yokohama AD08 (which Mark says are good for 13,000 in his experience), or significantly less?

Audi A5
If I was to choose now, I'd go for the AD08's. main reason being that they wear so well compared to the R1R.